ESPN: Ultimate Big Ten 2013 road trip: Week 9 (Nebraska at Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Adam Rittenberg's pick: Nebraska at Minnesota

The October slog continues. The Big Ten's double-bye is really limiting the number of attractive games in what is typically a huge month for the conference. Oh, well. The easy pick here would be Penn State-Ohio State, a game I've covered several times since the blog launched in 2008. But more than two months have passed and I've yet to see Nebraska, a team once again pegged to contend for the league title. Also, I haven't covered a game at beautiful TCF Bank Stadium since way back in 2009. Twin Cities, here I come.

Nebraska likely will come in as a sizable favorite, as the Huskers should have the most dangerous offense in the Legends Division and perhaps the entire Big Ten. Quarterback Taylor Martinez is in his fourth year as the starter and has plenty of weapons at his disposal. But league road games haven't been easy for Bo Pelini's squad, which was pounded last year at Ohio State and needed second-half comebacks to beat Northwestern, Michigan State and Iowa. The Huskers' 2012 schedule is extremely favorable, but with some tough road games down the stretch at both Michigan and Penn State, Big Red needs to take care of business against the Gophers.

Speaking of the Gophers, they doubled their wins total in coach Jerry Kill's second season and nearly upset Texas Tech in a bowl game. Kill's history shows his teams typically make big strides in Year 3, and it will be interesting to see how Minnesota fares. The Gophers have some big holes to fill on defense, particularly in the back seven, and will be tested by Martinez, Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell and the rest of Nebraska's attack. Minnesota also faces some questions on offense, and it will be interesting to see if Philip Nelson or another Gophers signal-caller can capitalize on a young Nebraska defense that recently has struggled away from Lincoln.

Minneapolis, it's been too long, and you provide so many options for eating and drinking. But to keep in the theme of the blog, I'll probably end up here before the game. Good times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/73622/ultimate-big-ten-2013-road-trip-week-9

Go Gophers!!

Minneapolis, it's been too long, and you provide so many options for eating and drinking. But to keep in the theme of the blog, I'll probably end up here before the game.

So does this mean they are actually going to show up for spring practices?

Ultimate Big Ten road trip: Week 13

Brian Bennett's pick: Wisconsin at Minnesota

I just visited the Twin Cities two weeks ago on this trip, and you might be wondering if I have some merchandise to return at Mall of America. No, it's just that I've seen a good mix of Nebraska, Penn State and Michigan State in recent weeks, too, and I'd like to be on hand for the most-played rivalry in the FBS.

Minnesota hasn't beaten Wisconsin since 2003, and the last three games in this series have been lopsided Badgers wins. But sooner or later the Gophers have to bring Paul Bunyan's Axe back home. This might be their best chance in a while.

Not only is the game at TCF Bank Stadium, but Minnesota seems to be steadily improving as we enter the third year of the Jerry Kill era. Kill is starting to build the kind of roster and depth he needs, and the Gophers showed in the bowl game loss to Texas Tech that they could field a physical, run-oriented team. That's the kind of attitude it's going to take to win in the Big Ten and to beat Wisconsin. Whether Minnesota can stand up to the Badgers' offensive line and run game is a major question mark, and its inability to do so in recent yeas is why the losing streak has grown. But with Ra'Shede Hageman back to anchor the defensive line, at least the Gophers have a good start.

Meanwhile, Gary Andersen's team has a chance to come into this game on a serious roll. The Badgers will have played Illinois, Iowa and Indiana in their previous three Big Ten games, with a home date against BYU mixed in there. Wisconsin's Leaders Division hopes likely depend heavily on that Sept. 28 game at Ohio State. But even if the Badgers lose in Columbus, they can keep the heat on the Buckeyes by ripping off a bunch of wins in a row. Losing focus and losing the Axe will not be allowed.

Whether this turns into a good game or a dog, at least I'll have attended an edition of this rivalry. And I'll get to see players running around with a big ol' axe afterward.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/74052/ultimate-big-ten-road-trip-week-13

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom