ESPN: Top high school player Jalen Green to enter NBA/G League pathway

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Jalen Green, the No. 1 prospect in the 2020 high school class, has started to inform college suitors that he plans to enter the NBA/G League's professional pathway program, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

He has planned a formal announcement on social media at 1 p.m. ET.

The G League professional pathway was launched in October 2018 as a program that paid $125,000 to prospects as an alternative to college basketball. Green will be joining an enhanced version of that program, sources said.

Go Gophers!!

I really wish they'd allow NBA teams to draft the "rights" of a player and then choose/work with the player on their development path. I'd hope it'd be similar to the NHL and in most cases they'd respect that players college team and season.

$125,000, but he is in an enhanced program so could be quite a bit more. Smart of the NBA.

Per Woj: Jalen Green is making the leap to a reshaped NBA professional pathway program, a G-League initiative that’ll pay elite prospects $500K-plus and provide a one-year development program outside of minor-league’s traditional team structure. Story soon.

I think the NBA does it the only way that doesnt make any sort of sense.

NFL--Have to be 3 years out
NHL--Draft and keep rights
MLB--Can go right out of high school, if they go to college they have to stay 3 years.

All of those make sense. I think the way to go is you can get drafted out of high school, but assuming you don't hire an agent you can still choose to go to college after the draft. If you choose to go to college the team loses your rights but you have to go to 2 years of school. If kids dont want to go to school thats fine, thats their choice, but dont let them hold schools hostage by kind of going with 1 foot out of the door. This is a win win, if the player is good enough he can go (see Lebron/Melo/Zion) but if they dont get picked or go late they can see hey im not good enough and now the school has them 2 years so they arent consistently turning guys over. NBA wins by not getting guys who arent good enough right now and college wins by getting guys locked in for 2 years and building teams again.

Also, something no one talks about with some of these kids who skip college, 90% of the time it is so they dont get exposed. If Mudiay, Jennings, Hampton whoever it may be go overseas and post 5-3-2 a game its just "well the game is different and they are kids in a new country" so they have that. If those kids go to Kansas/Duke/Az and are 9-3-3 its ahh well maybe this kid just isnt that good? I honestly cant think of a kid who went overseas for 1 year and turned out to be awesome.

Hope more kids do this. The NCAA needs to either die or be seriously revamped.
Why?
If more kids go this way, isn’t it proof that the NCAA can sustain their model.

when to top 15 prospects do this every year and the NCAA continues to make money and the G league continues to be pretty much I watched by comparison will people admit that the university brands drive fandom more than individual athletes in most cases.

Why?
If more kids go this way, isn’t it proof that the NCAA can sustain their model.

when to top 15 prospects do this every year and the NCAA continues to make money and the G league continues to be pretty much I watched by comparison will people admit that the university brands drive fandom more than individual athletes in most cases.
All true. This is great for college basketball.

All true. This is great for college basketball.
Yeah I think this is great.

the only thing you lose is the Zion affect of many non-fans watching an extra game or two.
But there is a player like that once every 10-15 years. The last one before Zion in my opinion was Lebron. Lebron never played college basketball. And college basketball was just fine.

Good for him. NBA should allow 18 year olds to be drafted, otherwise they should continue to explore options like this.

I think this new option is just fine.. go to college or the G_League for a year. Too many additional busts when drafting straight out of HS.

Top Bottom