ESPN: The biggest challenge for every new coach in men's college basketball (Johnson, MN: Lock up in-state prospects.)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

i

Minnesota Golden Gophers: Ben Johnson

Biggest challenge:
Lock up in-state prospects. Minnesota has had more success than DePaul at keeping talented kids home for college, but the pressure is higher with the Golden Gophers. It's possible -- Tubby Smith was able to keep some kids home, and Richard Pitino did keep Amir Coffeyhome. But guys like Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, Reid Travis, Tre Jones, Chet Holmgren, Jalen Suggsand others all went elsewhere.

Early returns: Johnson went hard in the transfer portal after getting the job, and brought a couple Minnesota natives back home for college. Jamison Battle (George Washington), Parker Fox (Division II Northern State) and Sean Sutherlin (New Hampshire) were productive players at their previous spots, and they're all opting to go back to their home state. In all, six double-figure scorers signed with Minnesota via the transfer market.

Go Gophers!!

I'd think just getting B1G talent is the biggest hurdle so far into his tenture

I'd think just getting B1G talent is the biggest hurdle so far into his tenture
Have you watched Lowe, Stephens, Battle, or Fox play? How do you know they are not B1G talent? How’d you you know Brandon Johnson was before he got here? How about Liam Robbins, Reggie Lynch, or Akeem Springs?

Comparing players like Robbins & Lynch both ranked top 10 in the transfer portal in their given years played, to Minnesota's present top transfer commit 2021 Battle. ranked around 70th is a huge jump.... Talent analysts have been wrong before so lets hope Battle is as talented and a true Big Ten caliber player...The flip side to the numerous & considered 2-star players rostered for the Gophers is that some assume they will not be overmatched in the Big Ten....Either way, we will know the answer in a few months........

Comparing players like Robbins & Lynch both ranked top 10 in the transfer portal in their given years played, to Minnesota's present top transfer commit 2021 Battle. ranked around 70th is a huge jump.... Talent analysts have been wrong before so lets hope Battle is as talented and a true Big Ten caliber player...The flip side to the numerous & considered 2-star players rostered for the Gophers is that some assume they will not be overmatched in the Big Ten....Either way, we will know the answer in a few months........
Lol where was Reggie Lynch a top 10 transfer? Also do you think that the free year maybe diluted the ratings a bit? Also Battle was B1G caliber after his senior year of high school. He just stuck with his GW commitment. Payton Willis is B1G caliber as he’s played in the conference. I’m not saying these guys we added are going to set the world on fire, but they are not all scrubs either. Also even if Robbins stayed we aren’t any better than 11-14th in the B1G. This job isn’t a quick fix and will need to be built correctly and the right culture. We saw what shortcuts got us the last 8 years.

Lol where was Reggie Lynch a top 10 transfer? Also do you think that the free year maybe diluted the ratings a bit? Also Battle was B1G caliber after his senior year of high school. He just stuck with his GW commitment. Payton Willis is B1G caliber as he’s played in the conference. I’m not saying these guys we added are going to set the world on fire, but they are not all scrubs either. Also even if Robbins stayed we aren’t any better than 11-14th in the B1G. This job isn’t a quick fix and will need to be built correctly and the right culture. We saw what shortcuts got us the last 8 years.
Ok- so you are saying that WITH Robbins these guys would be at best 11-14th in conference. And you are one of the bullish posters this summer. Yipes! Without Robbins, I think all would agree, we take a massive step down in the paint.

Have you watched Lowe, Stephens, Battle, or Fox play? How do you know they are not B1G talent? How’d you you know Brandon Johnson was before he got here? How about Liam Robbins, Reggie Lynch, or Akeem Springs?
So predict key metrics for those first three in conference. Then we will see if your , I think, predicted outcomes are accurate.

Ok- so you are saying that WITH Robbins these guys would be at best 11-14th in conference. And you are one of the bullish posters this summer. Yipes! Without Robbins, I think all would agree, we take a massive step down in the paint.
No I’m saying if Pitino was back with Robbins then they’d be awful. We would be better in the paint sure, but our shooting would still be awful. Guys like Battle wouldn’t be here if Pitino was here still. I don’t think this next years team is going to win a lot. I also just don’t think it’ll be as bad as some are making it. I think they win 5-6 B1G games and finish 11th, not win 0-1 B1G games and finish 14th. I think we are glorifying or overvaluing some of last years players when they were falling apart before the injuries set in.
Also I’m as big of a Craig Smith fan as there is and wasn’t happy with the hire. I am going to be critical of it too, but I just think we are a little early to call it a failure as some are. If we have no 2022s in November of value I’ll gladly start upping my critiquing. Next year I’m not holding him to much but to improve the defense and see the offense move the ball better.

So predict key metrics for those first three in conference. Then we will see if your , I think, predicted outcomes are accurate.
What metrics you want? I think we will rank higher defensively in KenPom than last years team. I think our 3 pt shooting will be improved (impossible to not be). I don’t know enough about Lowe and Stephen’s except that they are decent shooters. Battle I know more about. He will average double figures in points and rebound. I’m worried about him defending laterally, but he’ll be smart and stay within his means.

manderson1984: All that's nice. With limited talent it is pretty fundamental we have no other possible ways to score other than to move the ball better as a team.
Defensively, we will not be as good as we were on occasion last year with our roster and previous coach. Consistency defensively was our problem. I'd agree that'll be fixed. But, I'll be shocked if we shut teams down...Michigan, Michigan St at home.
But none of it matters until we get better players or at least equal.
I don't care how well you coach em up. Without talent and athleticism it ain't happening at the Big Ten level. The major problem was not coaching per se with Richard. It was roster management.
Recruiting the right parts to fit together. Developing guys in the form of a rotation...giving guys game minutes...so when somebody went down we had depth capable of next man up. We were good many years...until one guy got hurt or in trouble. And when it was two guys out we were laughable.

manderson1984: All that's nice. With limited talent it is pretty fundamental we have no other possible ways to score other than to move the ball better as a team.
Defensively, we will not be as good as we were on occasion last year with our roster and previous coach. Consistency defensively was our problem. I'd agree that'll be fixed. But, I'll be shocked if we shut teams down...Michigan, Michigan St at home.
I don't care how well you coach em up. Without talent and athleticism it ain't happening at the Big Ten level. The major problem was not coaching per se with Richard. It was roster management.
Recruiting the right parts to fit together. Developing guys in the form of a rotation...giving guys game minutes...so when somebody went down we had depth capable of next man up. We were good many years...until one guy got hurt or in trouble. And when it was two guys out we were laughable.
Don’t disagree with much of this at all. Again im not saying this is even an NIT team. Imo coaching is more about creating a culture than outscheming as they all steal and use similar offensive and defensive schemes. Defensive consistency rather than seeing one glimmer of excellence is an example of culture. I also think the drop every year was a lack of both as well. Hopefully Ben will create that culture then a lot of the rest takes care of itself.

No I’m saying if Pitino was back with Robbins then they’d be awful. We would be better in the paint sure, but our shooting would still be awful. Guys like Battle wouldn’t be here if Pitino was here still. I don’t think this next years team is going to win a lot. I also just don’t think it’ll be as bad as some are making it. I think they win 5-6 B1G games and finish 11th, not win 0-1 B1G games and finish 14th. I think we are glorifying or overvaluing some of last years players when they were falling apart before the injuries set in.
Also I’m as big of a Craig Smith fan as there is and wasn’t happy with the hire. I am going to be critical of it too, but I just think we are a little early to call it a failure as some are. If we have no 2022s in November of value I’ll gladly start upping my critiquing. Next year I’m not holding him to much but to improve the defense and see the offense move the ball better.
Ok. I'll say right now if Johnson wins 6 Big Ten games with this group- he should be coach of the year in the Big Ten.

We are having heated talks about how we are going to spend our lottery money, but we haven't bought a ticket yet...

Let the season begin.

Beeg - do you think Johnson should have given in to Robbins' blackmail request and kept Uncle Ed as a coach? Because that is what it amounts to - "hire my uncle as a coach or I leave!"

Sure, I would like to have Robbins as a player - but not at that price. Because if you do that, you are basically surrendering any pretense at having standards.

I hope Robbins and Uncle Ed like it at Vanderbilt. So long, been good to know ya.

What metrics you want? I think we will rank higher defensively in KenPom than last years team. I think our 3 pt shooting will be improved (impossible to not be). I don’t know enough about Lowe and Stephen’s except that they are decent shooters. Battle I know more about. He will average double figures in points and rebound. I’m worried about him defending laterally, but he’ll be smart and stay within his means.
Talking specifically about the three players you mentioned that will play this year.

Beeg - do you think Johnson should have given in to Robbins' blackmail request and kept Uncle Ed as a coach? Because that is what it amounts to - "hire my uncle as a coach or I leave!"

Sure, I would like to have Robbins as a player - but not at that price. Because if you do that, you are basically surrendering any pretense at having standards.

I hope Robbins and Uncle Ed like it at Vanderbilt. So long, been good to know ya.
Blackmail? Wow. I think he should have battled to retain a nucleus. I have no idea what the situation was and I bear no ill will to Robbins or Ed. You sound like you happen to think that you know that they are dirtbags. I don't know that. I bet you would have been happy to take the assistant coach (McNealy) who had the 4 star point guard coming with him. I would have.

I think Ben is a good guy and Thorson is a great teacher and they can be successful. Nuking the whole thing might not have been a good idea. ALL of the chips are on getting a great 2022 class. Lacking that they have a serious problem as it appears we would be awful for a few years, unless they do an amazing job of coaching these guys.

Blackmail? Wow. I think he should have battled to retain a nucleus. I have no idea what the situation was and I bear no ill will to Robbins or Ed. You sound like you happen to think that you know that they are dirtbags. I don't know that. I bet you would have been happy to take the assistant coach (McNealy) who had the 4 star point guard coming with him. I would have.

I think Ben is a good guy and Thorson is a great teacher and they can be successful. Nuking the whole thing might not have been a good idea. ALL of the chips are on getting a great 2022 class. Lacking that they have a serious problem as it appears we would be awful for a few years, unless they do an amazing job of coaching these guys.
Everyone on our team last year was very replaceable.....I’d rather have guys who want to be here....and if we lose a few more games next year and finish in 12th,13th or 14th place instead of 10th, 11th or 12th place who really cares. Let Ben build the team and have players on the team that he wants next year. I trust his knowledge on the situation more than anyone on this board. I’m two or three years if things look to be not going well....then you can be concerned....right now I’m letting it play out.

We just have a difference of opinion on what good is. I do not think we were good many years ! I would never cherry pick two home games as the sample size. I do think it was incredibly poor coaching to not build a culture and to average 10th place in defense over 8 years. We will never have sustainable success here unless we are a top 5 defense year after year. Over 8 years the record and the metrics paint the truth for my standards of terrible. Every fan can decide for themselves. To be in the bottom 10 % of winning percentage in conference for all coaches given 8 years is terrible coaching. If Ben gets 8 years it will be more wins, better, defense, better play and no whining excuses.

We just have a difference of opinion on what good is. I do not think we were good many years ! I would never cherry pick two home games as the sample size. I do think it was incredibly poor coaching to not build a culture and to average 10th place in defense over 8 years. We will never have sustainable success here unless we are a top 5 defense year after year. Over 8 years the record and the metrics paint the truth for my standards of terrible. Every fan can decide for themselves. To be in the bottom 10 % of winning percentage in conference for all coaches given 8 years is terrible coaching. If Ben gets 8 years it will be more wins, better, defense, better play and no whining excuses.
8 years from now do you expect Ben's Big Ten record to be .500+ for the 8 years? What would be successful?

Talking specifically about the three players you mentioned that will play this year.
I’ve not seen enough of Stephens and Lowe to speak to whether they are good or not. Battle is good and one of the top options at GW. Shoots the ball well, smart defender, a bit of a tweener which is my concern for him. I’ve read that Lowe is a good shooter, solid defender and passer. I’m exited to watch him and then decide if he is good or terrible

8 years from now do you expect Ben's Big Ten record to be .500+ for the 8 years? What would be successful?
I think it will be very hard to be .500 plus by year 8 but to be better than .350 is a must and for success i would expect a a yearly top 5 team by year 5 . A team that plays great defense, that has no trash on the team, to lead with character, without excuses. Winning will be a huge part of success but improvement is progress and it would be difficult to perform as poorly as what came before him. Only Monson had it really tough. Ben is in a tough spot at this point in time at this school, in this city. It will require toughness, patience and character.

I think it will be very hard to be .500 plus by year 8 but to be better than .350 is a must and for success i would expect a a yearly top 5 team by year 5 . A team that plays great defense, that has no trash on the team, to lead with character, without excuses. Winning will be a huge part of success but improvement is progress and it would be difficult to perform as poorly as what came before him. Only Monson had it really tough. Ben is in a tough spot at this point in time at this school, in this city. It will require toughness, patience and character.
Why would Ben be in a tougher spot than Pitino was?

I believe I echoed your conclusions. By years I should have said different seasons. We had no great years. But what you refuse to acknowledge is we had great game performances within quite a few different seasons.
And you dismiss those. Please, keep the same standard going forward in the future to be consistent.

Less enthusiasm for the program, way different community from the perspective of many parents and players. Less support.

I believe I echoed your conclusions. By years I should have said different seasons. We had no great years. But what you refuse to acknowledge is we had great game performances within quite a few different seasons.
And you dismiss those. Please, keep the same standard going forward in the future to be consistent.
Of course we had great games, i was at most of them. There were just not that many and very few that were on the road and one tourney victory. One good defensive season in 8 years.

He is not. Here you have BADGER making excuses in a couple posts in this thread.

BADGER is the ultimate fraud.

Top Bottom