ESPN: Surprises at midseason (Most Disappointing Teams: Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

Minnesota. After going 9-4 with SP+ top-20 finishes in each of the last two seasons, the Gophers seemed to have the pieces to at least threaten in a pretty weak Big Ten West. Instead, they're 3-3, having been blown out by the two top-50 opponents they've faced -- North Carolina and Michigan beat them by a combined 83-23. Even more damning, they blew a lead and lost to a Northwestern team that barely beat Howard in Week 6. (If you're playing the transitive property game, Howard got blown out by Harvard on Saturday, which of course means that the Crimson would blow out Minnesota.)

Go Gophers!!

Not an undeserved spot

I think it's fair that the Gophers are on this list but this line rubs me the wrong way -----

"Instead, they're 3-3, having been blown out by the two top-50 opponents they've faced -- North Carolina and Michigan beat them by a combined 83-23."

Top 50 opponents? How about Top 10 opponents. Both teams are undefeated. Michigan has blown out everyone to date and UNC's average margin of victory is a little over 16 points.

It's not like the Gophers were blown out by Wisconsin.

Reading that ESPN is disappointed makes me more disappointed. Thanks ESPN.

I think it's fair that the Gophers are on this list but this line rubs me the wrong way -----

"Instead, they're 3-3, having been blown out by the two top-50 opponents they've faced -- North Carolina and Michigan beat them by a combined 83-23."

Top 50 opponents? How about Top 10 opponents. Both teams are undefeated. Michigan has blown out everyone to date and UNC's average margin of victory is a little over 16 points.

It's not like the Gophers were blown out by Wisconsin.
Virtually everyone expected us to be 4-2 at this point. And we are 3-3.

1 inexplicable loss on the road puts on a “most disappointing” list?

GTFOOH

GTFOOH
To be fair the optimists thought 5-1 was a realistic shot. NC is a good team and we had them on the road to boot so that answered that.

Good point though and I think at least for me it's the journey to 3-3 that's the story not the actual W-L record as the main source of disappointment. Regardless what my mind knew going in...the game 2 weeks ago did not help either.

For whatever reasons this is becoming a rebuild year rather than one where we were loaded and ready to hunt. That is of course exactly what happens with developmental programs if that is indeed our fate (increasingly) into the future.

As has been said 1000x winning today will go a LONG way. Ski U Mah!

P.S. If they do win might have to consider meeting the team when they get back. Don't know if they fly or bus. It's that big of a deal...

I think the Northwestern loss with the fact that against NC and Michigan we did not look competitive, creates the disappointment. We do not look like a team that was meant to compete for the West and that is why we are the most disappointing team.

GTFOOH
I mean, yes?

The only other win they have is UTEP. That’s pretty bad.

Top Bottom