ESPN: Spring breakout player: Minnesota (Damien Wilson)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the link:

Wilson ranked fourth nationally in the junior-college ranks in tackles with 122 last season. He recorded six tackles for loss, two sacks and two pass breakups for Jones County Junior College in Mississippi. Gophers coach Jerry Kill is excited about Wilson, telling ESPN.com last month, "We lost five scholarship linebackers a year ago. We've got a couple of good players coming back, but we really needed to address that need. I think we did a great job of doing that with Damien Wilson." He has an excellent size-speed combination, and his productivity at the JC level bodes well for Minnesota. Kill has high hopes for both Wilson and fellow juco linebacker De'Vondre Campbell, who arrives this summer. Wilson gets a jump start this spring and should put himself in position to secure a starting spot.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/72646/spring-breakout-player-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

good to see that Kill is excited about Wilson. But after the way Gillium didn't reach expectations that Kill had for him, im not gonna get to excited until I see him playing well in games.

good to see that Kill is excited about Wilson. But after the way Gillium didn't reach expectations that Kill had for him, im not gonna get to excited until I see him playing well in games.

I am with you on that one, Gillum (only one i) was very disappointing. I remember that great TD run he had against UNLV and I thought to myself, "so this is what Kill is so excited about", then he just fell of the grid.

I am with you on that one, Gillum (only one i) was very disappointing. I remember that great TD run he had against UNLV and I thought to myself, "so this is what Kill is so excited about", then he just fell of the grid.

Could have done something to land in the doghouse, didn't pick up blocking assignments, or needed more work/ time with the playbook in general....

IMHO It is a little easier to make the jump on defense than offense.

I'm pretty confident Wilson will play A LOT more than Gillum. Gillum will probably see even less touches this season. I think Wilson will end up starting this season.

I'm pretty confident Wilson will play A LOT more than Gillum. Gillum will probably see even less touches this season. I think Wilson will end up starting this season.

I'm hopeful Wilson plays a lot and is good. Gillum? Not having any inside knowledge makes it hard for me but if it was attitude or understanding that held him back...maybe he shines as a senior. You know, story book like.
Didn't he fumble in a game? I think that's a huge factor for a running back with Jerry. Gillum had upside coming in.
I doubt he lost it. I'm guessing he will get a chance this spring.

I just think Gillum wasn't as good as Kirkwood and Williams. I don't know why people expected so much from him, he was a 5.5 three star guy with La Tech being his only other offer.

Top Bottom