ESPN releases new rankings of 2011 recruits

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
FWIW, ESPN just released an updated version of their top 100 recruits in the 2011 class. Andre Hollins was previously unranked and I believe a 3 star. They now have him as #86 and a 4 star. Also, Joe Coleman is still a 4 star and is #93 (I think he was in the 80s before).

From what I have seen and read, I do think Hollins has a chance to be a very good player. I do find it somewhat comical that the rankings change and as far as I know, none of these young men have played a high school basketball game yet this year. What is their basis for change, additional film review or just a quick look at offers?

From what I have seen and read, I do think Hollins has a chance to be a very good player. I do find it somewhat comical that the rankings change and as far as I know, none of these young men have played a high school basketball game yet this year. What is their basis for change, additional film review or just a quick look at offers?

Dave Telep, who IMO is the best national recruiting expert, recently made the switch from heading up the Scout.com recruiting site to being the lead recruiting expert at ESPN.com. He made this change a few weeks ago and I imagine the change to the Top 100 reflects his analysis.

Go Gophers!!

I like it, 2 4 star recruits. nice job tubby and crew. other gopher targets such as Jesperson, Brogdon, Connaughton, Tharpe are also in there as well. only other 4 or 5 stars in b10 belong to OSU, Illinois, Wisco with 1 overrated one, MSU, and Michigan. looks like the top of the B10 next year will be us, OSU, MSU, Illinois. Wisco loses leuer/nankivil, purdue loses every one. good times keep rollin in gopha bball

Hummel is likely to be back for one more year, so I wouldn't say they lose everyone, as his return will cushion the blow of losing Moore & JJJ.

The star system is nice and all, but to truly judge the caliber of player you need to look at their offer list.

Indiana needs to land Cody Zeller before they can legitimately talk about competing in the Big Ten. Their defense (including post defense) last year was horrible and needs to be shored up big time.

not until at least 2013 Plinnius, who are they going to compete with next year Maruice creek and no one?

Yes, Purdue will have Hummel back next year and if healthy he will be a pre-season All-American. Many doubt he can be the same player but you need not look any further than former Boiler Carl Landry who had a number of knee problems in college (including an ACL tear) and he had a phenomenal Sr. year after recovering and is now a stud for Sacramento in the league. Purdue should have plenty to compliment Hummel next year to be an upper tier Big Ten team.

OSUfan - what's your take on Amir Williams? Sounds like it's down to Florida, Purdue, OSU, and somehow DePaul. Many Purdue faithful think he's OSU bound b/c his buddy (McDonald?) just signed with you.

not until at least 2013 Plinnius, who are they going to compete with next year Maruice creek and no one?

Did you not see their 2009 class? Five recruits were top 150 players on Rivals -- three of them 4* -- and four of them were 4* on Scout. They'll all be juniors next year. Christian Watford could break out big time this year. They also have a couple more Rivals 150 freshman this year that will be sophomores next year.

Jeremiah Rivers is the only senior on their roster, so they're going to be a very veteran team next year.

Interesting that Myck Kabongo decommitted from Texas shortly after the team started practicing. Wonder if his friends Tristan and Cory gave him some information to make him change his mind? Another possibility is that Cory will stick around and guard depth will impact playing time in the future.

I'm hoping OSU gets Amir - they need another quality big man pretty badly with DLaud on track to exhaust his eligibility this season and Sullinger a probable 1 & done. One Purdue blog post I read made it sound as if they weren't even recruiting him very much until a couple months ago, and made it seem unlikely that he was going to go there. UM fans (who get him to visit this weekend, starting the 5th) don't believe they have a legit chance. One national pundit said he'd heard Purdue, OSU and UF were strong with Amir. He's already made his Purdue visit, has two left, one to UM this weekend and then he has an OV scheduled at OSU Nov. 12-13, and that's scheduled to start after the early signing period (which I believe runs Nov. 10th-17th) begins.

If he waits to make a decision before making his visit to OSU, I expect he will commit & sign for OSU. After all, he said he's planning on signing in the fall period, and if he's going to go elsewhere, he ought to just make a decision, sign when the period starts (Nov. 10th) and cancel the OSU visit.

RE: Indiana - again, they have to show they can play defense before I buy them as a team that can finish in the top half of the Big Ten. If you look at efficiency margins, IU was the worst team in the Big Ten last year, largely because they were awful on the D end. They have to be significantly better on D in order to improve their standing in the conference.

Indiana better contend (or at least finish top 5) by the 2011-12 season or that seat will be getting very hot in Bloomington.

theres no way they contend until 2013 imo, just sayin they're not better then gophs, Ill, MSU, OSU, UW, maybe even with Purdue, but i still give purdue the edge in 2011-2012

FWIW, ESPN just released an updated version of their top 100 recruits in the 2011 class. Andre Hollins was previously unranked and I believe a 3 star. They now have him as #86 and a 4 star. Also, Joe Coleman is still a 4 star and is #93 (I think he was in the 80s before).

I like building a program with multiple top 100 type players, I think it leads to more options and a more diverse team rather than with one or two big time guys and a bunch of guys standing around watching. Recruit 2-4 top 100's every year and hope 1 or 2 of them really develop, and you are looking at a good strong program with some staying power.

Hollins move tells you a lot about these rankings. I'm guessing if he had chosen Harvard he'd still be un-ranked. Because he signed on with Tubby Smith he's now top-100. He may well be top-100, but either way he didn't change as a player. If UNC or Duke had signed him he'd suddenly be top 25.

It's always seemed to me like if UCLA, Kentucky, KS, TX, NC, Duke, Syracuse, or Georgetown recruits a player, that their rating goes up in these tyeps of rankings....

Interesting that Myck Kabongo decommitted from Texas shortly after the team started practicing. Wonder if his friends Tristan and Cory gave him some information to make him change his mind? Another possibility is that Cory will stick around and guard depth will impact playing time in the future.

The Kabongo decommitment was rumored to be coming for a number of months...

...and now Kabongo has recommitted to Texas. Maybe Tristan and Cory gave him some GOOD information. Ugh.. kids.

Hollins move tells you a lot about these rankings. I'm guessing if he had chosen Harvard he'd still be un-ranked. Because he signed on with Tubby Smith he's now top-100. He may well be top-100, but either way he didn't change as a player. If UNC or Duke had signed him he'd suddenly be top 25.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Does a player become top 25 because UNC and Duke offered him, or do Duke and UNC offer him because they are going to become top 25 players.

I think there would be more to your argument if the teams with great recruiting classes every year weren't winning a lot of games.

Wow, that's awesome. Hollins just keeps getting better and better!

I am not convinced you can build a great team around one and done players, as good as Sullinger is. Matta is a good coach, so I'm surprised he is interested in that approach.

Wow, that's awesome. Hollins just keeps getting better and better!

I know what you are saying-- but not really, he's still the same player whether or not ESPN moves him up to a 5 star or down to a 1 star.

Its cool that he is getting some love from ESPN, but the moment he steps on campus those rankings mean d%#k.

I'm thrilled we got him though, snagging him and Coleman is awesome, great job Tubby and staff.

I am not convinced you can build a great team around one and done players, as good as Sullinger is. Matta is a good coach, so I'm surprised he is interested in that approach.

I'm going to guess any coach in the nation would have been glad to welcome Sullinger. Did Tubby recruit Harrison Barnes? I'm using Tubby as an example because I think he's a "good coach" and Barnes might be a one and done. As far as building a team around one and dones, maybe you're right.

If you can consistently get 1 and done type guys you're going to consistently be good. Now you may never be great, but you'll be good

I think basketball is a game where "stars" matter more than in other sports. These 1-and-done players make it hard to build chemistry, but I agree with oleboy that if you get these stars it is hard to have a bad team.

Top Bottom