ESPN: Nike Sibande case shines a light on NCAA's broken transfer waiver system

gopherguy15

Reaction score
Interesting read here. Jay Bilas did some research into Nike Sibande's waiver claim, and it appears that Miami (OH) is not exactly cooperating. Ironically, this player is transferring to Pitt, who stood in the way of Marcus Carr's waiver claim two years ago. Totally agree with his comment that too much power is given to the original school. There's been conversations about this on other threads, but once the covid free-for-all transfers are complete (only seven players have been denied at this point), the waiver claim process is clearly in need of an overhaul.

Makes me all the more thankful that Drake didn't stand in the way of Liam Robbin's transfer.

You get four years to play ball. No shirts no nothin. You graduate and yer done playing the college game. Now with that stated let the kids shift to schools as they want but in the end, no more than 4 years.

I would keep the 5-to-play-4 system, and allow players one "get out of jail free" transfer.

1st time you transfer, no waiver needed. But that's it. if you transfer, you play out your career at the new school. no do-overs.

and there would have to be a timeframe for submitting transfer intentions. like - must give notice by a certain date or the transfer is denied. otherwise you could have a situation where multiple guys bolt from a program in mid-summer and leave their former team without enough bodies to compete.

I would keep the 5-to-play-4 system, and allow players one "get out of jail free" transfer.

1st time you transfer, no waiver needed. But that's it. if you transfer, you play out your career at the new school. no do-overs.

and there would have to be a timeframe for submitting transfer intentions. like - must give notice by a certain date or the transfer is denied. otherwise you could have a situation where multiple guys bolt from a program in mid-summer and leave their former team without enough bodies to compete.

Great post - SON's approach takes the decision out of the NCAA hands and helps to eliminate bias.

As much as sometimes the "wrong" guys get hurt and tie up scholarships for a l-o-n-g time, I'd like to see an extra year for injuries. You only get one chance to play college sports.

Top Bottom