ESPN: Nebraska and the Big Ten: A decade of struggle for stability

Bo was also fired because he hated recruiting and as a result was terrible at it. Bo’s downfall was also not having his brother on staff anymore who was the only staff member that would call him on things and wasn’t a yes man. Bo’s best years were with Callahan recruits. Callahan was a damn good recruiter, just to loyal to his DC Kevin Cosgrove

I wouldn't call Bo a terrible recruiter, but Callahan was better. As Some guy said, he was fired for his off field relationships and antics. I have some good connections to Nebraska, and despite how bad it has been since, there isn't anyone that would rather have Bo as the coach. He pissed off everyone there.

The better competition in B1G conference had something to do with it.
The Big 8 of Nebraska's heyday usually consisted of them, OU, one other halfway decent team (this rotated between Missouri, Colorado, and Oklahoma State), and five other rotten, ends-blown-out tomato cans.

The Big Ten West has been much better than that.

Bo was also fired because he hated recruiting and as a result was terrible at it. Bo’s downfall was also not having his brother on staff anymore who was the only staff member that would call him on things and wasn’t a yes man. Bo’s best years were with Callahan recruits. Callahan was a damn good recruiter, just to loyal to his DC Kevin Cosgrove
Bo was fired because he kept calling the president and Ad names of female genitalia publicly

So he did what Callahan couldn't, with Callahan's recruits. Got it.

NE has a small and declining population.
Lincoln is not an attractive location for many recruits who live where NE used to get a lot of recruits-TX, CA and OK.
Those states have more schools whose football fortunes have improved over the years providing places for recruits to attend rather than NE.
Pelini had the most success in NE's time in the BIG and was an Osborne hire.
His behavior on and off of the field finally led to his departure with an enormous buy out.
Frost does not seem to be liked by his players, has seemingly incompetent ACs who do not develop players and he does not put enough emphasis on defense.
If Martinez does not have a great game or is injured NE loses.

Finally, as a lifelong Wyoming Cowboy fan and relatively new Gophers fan, I cannot stand Nebraska. It was comical when they fired Solich.
Interesting stance, given your head coach!

Plug not pulled too soon.
Solich won big with Osborn’s recruiting classes and were slipping into mediocrity. They pulled the plug to stop it before it happened.
Hmmm.

As you say, he won big in 1999, 2000, and 2001, which was "only" 2, 3, and 4 years after Osborne retired. Nevermind that Solich helped recruit all those guys, too.

And yes 2002 was a bad year, by their standards. He fired Crag Bohl after that season.

In 2003 they bounced back to 10-3, including a bowl victory. They lost at home to K-State to lose the division, and as we all know K-State went on to win the conf champ game over OU by a score of 35 to 7.

Callahan promptly went 5-6 in 2004.

Not sure the facts support your claim here.

So he did what Callahan couldn't, with Callahan's recruits. Got it.
Had Callahan replaced his DC, he probably doesn’t get fired. Their offense under Callahan was solid, Cosgrove just couldn’t coach defense well. It’s why Ndamukong Suh was set to transfer had Cosgrove not been replaced. They had to fire Callahan to get rid of Cosgrove because Callahan wouldn’t replace Cosgrove himself.

Why is it interesting?

I like Craig Bohl. Because Bohl assisted at NE, I should like NE? I don't. Because Bohl dominated at NDSU, I should like NDSU? I don't. I like Minnesota and PJ Fleck, I don't like Western Michigan. I like the Rams and Sean McVay, but I don't like the WFT. I really like what Bob Devaney did before my time at WYO, but have zero likes for all the great he did at NE. Again, why is this interesting to you?

Gopher fan due to moving north to ND and now have kids as students and alumni. No way can I be a UND or NDSU fan.
If you like JV football, NDSU is a great team to follow.

I assume you don't care much about college hockey. That would be the only reason to even know UND and Grand Forks exist on the face of the Earth.

I like Craig Bohl. Because Bohl assisted at NE, I should like NE?
"Assisted", like he was a GA? Come on now.

He played there, and was the DC there (until fired). Not saying you should like them, just would figure you wouldn't say "I can't stand them".

But to each their own.

Had Callahan replaced his DC, he probably doesn’t get fired. Their offense under Callahan was solid
Is this actually true? Looking at this last year, they definitely were close in some big games, but others were duds.

Say what you want...Nebraska complains/bitches and complains/bitches about everything in the Big Ten. It's tiring. It would not bother me to see them leave. Bring on Missouri.

Had Callahan replaced his DC, he probably doesn’t get fired. Their offense under Callahan was solid, Cosgrove just couldn’t coach defense well. It’s why Ndamukong Suh was set to transfer had Cosgrove not been replaced. They had to fire Callahan to get rid of Cosgrove because Callahan wouldn’t replace Cosgrove himself.
I believe Cosgrove was a DC at WI and was not a fan favorite.
The spread offense and a good passing teamed sure wins when he was the DC wherever he coached.

NE has a small and declining population.
Lincoln is not an attractive location for many recruits who live where NE used to get a lot of recruits-TX, CA and OK.
Those states have more schools whose football fortunes have improved over the years providing places for recruits to attend rather than NE.
Pelini had the most success in NE's time in the BIG and was an Osborne hire.
His behavior on and off of the field finally led to his departure with an enormous buy out.
Frost does not seem to be liked by his players, has seemingly incompetent ACs who do not develop players and he does not put enough emphasis on defense.
If Martinez does not have a great game or is injured NE loses.
This is a declining population?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725-170314_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-170314_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 7

Say what you want...Nebraska complains/bitches and complains/bitches about everything in the Big Ten. It's tiring. It would not bother me to see them leave. Bring on Missouri.
Its tiring because they are not winning. Honestly, I love it! ha ha ha.

Top Bottom