ESPN: Nebraska and the Big Ten: A decade of struggle for stability

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Still, few expected Nebraska to complete its first Big Ten decade at 68-55, 43-41 in conference play. Since 2011, Nebraska ranks 54th nationally in win percentage (.553) and eighth among Big Ten teams. The Huskers have yet to win a league title (their last was in 1999). Their lone division championship came back in 2012, which preceded a 70-31 loss in the Big Ten championship game against Wisconsin, a team only in the game because both Ohio State and Penn State were ineligible.

The extended stretch of mediocrity is jarring for a Nebraska program that won five national titles between 1970 and 1997. From 1963 to 2001, the Huskers captured 22 conference championships (outright or shared) and logged 28 AP top-10 finishes and 22 seasons with 10 or more wins. During the span, Nebraska had only 11 seasons with three or more losses, none with more than four and none with more than three between 1969 and 2001.

The Huskers now have lost five or more games in five of the past six seasons.

"Nebraska is struggling to find its foothold from a leadership standpoint, a style standpoint, a recruiting standpoint," said Damon Benning, a former Huskers I-back who played on national title teams in 1994 and 1995, and now hosts a daily sports talk radio show in Omaha. "Meanwhile, the conference just keeps getting better and better.

"A double whammy."

The question is how much of Nebraska's struggles can be attributed to joining the Big Ten, and how much can be tied to internal reasons. To find out, ESPN spoke to people in and around Nebraska's program since the Big Ten arrival. Some were granted anonymity to speak freely about what they observed. Attempts to interview Frost and Moos were unsuccessful.

Those who spoke describe a program still searching for its identity in an improving conference. Nebraska is rightfully proud of its championship tradition but also somewhat hamstrung by the past, especially as the program navigates recruiting realities and other areas where it no longer holds clear advantages.

The Big Ten has provided the stability Nebraska needed, and the affiliation is still celebrated in academic circles. But others cling to Big Eight nostalgia and haven't embraced Nebraska's position in its newest league.

"You've got to have a plan, and the plan can't be: 'We're going to win a national championship, we're going to get back to national contention," a source said. "The plan has to be: 'Now that we are in the Big Ten, what are the challenges?' I'm not saying temper expectations, but you have to get to: What are we all about, and how are we going to get there?"

Go Gophers!!

The Big Ten is stronger than the Big 12. Even the weaker West division. Loved the narrative that Nebraska was going to join and dominate. Whoops.

Also....getting rid of Pelini because he was only delivering nine win seasons.....lol.

Nebraska has found stability as a middling big ten team which is what they should be and will continue to be

No matter what...the Nebraska football program and it's fan-base will live in the past. Let them. They show up in Minneapolis thinking they will simply win because they're Nebraska. And they're wearing nearly thirty year-old 1995 Starter jackets. And you gotta love it when they yell "Go Blackshirts" All of it is a COMPLETE joke to the rest of the Big Ten.

So yah Nebraska...you need to start embracing the Big Ten and maybe THEN you'll see your program improve. Oh and academically...pretty sure Nebraska is at the bottom of the B1G as they are not Accredited.

Go BIG TEN. If you don't like it...leave.

Why didn't the B1G take Missouri instead?

They don't appear to be recruiting as many thugs any more.

Whatever the issue is... it has nothing to do with the big 10.

Nebraska football has always been sort of an artificial creation. The state produces very little talent compared to the rest of the Big Ten states and the program relied heavily on recruiting from California, Texas, and Florida to win in their glory days.

When they were a perennial power it was easy to get guys to choose an otherwise undesirable location for college to play for championships. The natural year-to-year momentum of winning college sports was on their side. Now it's a much harder sell and today's recruits haven't seen Nebraska be great in their lives.

(if you are thinking a lot of this is parallel to our past...well...it is)

There's quite a few schools out there with no natural safety net by way of a weak local recruiting base. If the winning stops, they drop. Oklahoma football, Oregon football, Notre Dame football, Gonzaga basketball, Kansas basketball, Kentucky basketball, and so on.

The Big Ten is stronger than the Big 12. Even the weaker West division. Loved the narrative that Nebraska was going to join and dominate. Whoops.

Also....getting rid of Pelini because he was only delivering nine win seasons.....lol.
It wasn't just Pelini. They set the precedence before him by firing Frank Solich after a 9-3 season (that followed a 7-7 season that was the only hiccup in his 58-19 Nebraska career). This coaching move rocked college football with most wondering what the hell was going on with this storied program.

A state like many other farming states and areas are slowly losing poplation and there are far fewer younger people to want to play for NE.
The school, like other schools with no academic stature, looks to sports as a means of national recognition.
And there are no other sport teams excepting those at the university to provide entertainment for the citizens of NE.
Their living in the past and expecting to dominate the BIG and their recent behavior during the Covid 19 pandemic has made many people in the BIG indifferent to their constant implied "threats" to go back to the Big 12.

Love this thread.

Long may they be Illinois in football.

Some of my theories & opinions:
  • Prop 48
  • They were somewhat cutting edge in terms of strength & conditioning back in the day (probably with some PED help too), but nearly all schools have eliminated that edge. Many schools prioritizing their strength & conditioning coach.
  • They have wonderful facilities, but there are LOTS of schools that have wonderful facilities now. They are no longer unique in terms of prioritizing football.
  • Game has evolved & Power-I not as prevalent. I'd say option too, but option is still a large part of football; it just has changed in terms of read option & run pass option compared to what Nebraska excelled at in the past. Bill Callahan may have not be the right guy at the right time for Nebraska as they still had some advantages with their identity, but the game has changed & he wanted to go with that change.
  • What have they done in the last 15 years? Recruits now only know of their history via YouTube.
Just my thoughts.

It wasn't just Pelini. They set the precedence before him by firing Frank Solich after a 9-3 season (that followed a 7-7 season that was the only hiccup in his 58-19 Nebraska career). This coaching move rocked college football with most wondering what the hell was going on with this storied program.
If they were trying to stay nationally relevant Solich ship had sailed. Solich went on to win zero MAC championships.

Bo P was fired more for behavior than results. Had he been winning 11-14 games he would’ve lasted longer in spite of his behavior.

Just because they haven’t been successful hiring doesn’t make it the wrong choice to get rid of those two guys.

two big mistakes:
Callahan was really the wrong hire and a bad hire. This set the program back big time.

Nobody was ever on board with Mike Riley. He is a decent coach but everyone was looking to get rid of him at the first sign of trouble. He was switching from a spread system to a more traditional system (if he followed his Oregon state model) so there were going to be hiccups. They probably should’ve hired frost directly from Oregon.

If they were trying to stay nationally relevant Solich ship had sailed.
He had one year finishing outside the top 20 nationally. A 7-7 season he bounced back from quite nicely at 9-3 to reenter and finish in the top 20. Plug was pulled too soon.

Callahan was really the wrong hire and a bad hire.
Agree.

Finally, as a lifelong Wyoming Cowboy fan and relatively new Gophers fan, I cannot stand Nebraska. It was comical when they fired Solich.

He had one year finishing outside the top 20 nationally. A 7-7 season he bounced back from quite nicely at 9-3 to reenter and finish in the top 20. Plug was pulled too soon.

Agree.

Finally, as a lifelong Wyoming Cowboy fan and relatively new Gophers fan, I cannot stand Nebraska. It was comical when they fired Solich.
Plug not pulled too soon.
Solich won big with Osborn’s recruiting classes and were slipping into mediocrity. They pulled the plug to stop it before it happened. Solich is Nebraska’s Larry Coker but without the national title

it didn’t work. That doesn’t mean it was the wrong choice

do you think Miami fired Larry Coker too soon? Because it’s the exact same situation

We don't agree. That's okay.

I don't know much about LC. Sorry.

I don't know much about LC. Sorry.
He inherited a national championship winning team (2001 Miami is top 5 all time I'd say) and went to the NC game again with Butch Davis' recruits (lost to tOSU and Maurice Clarrett on some BS penalty) and then Miami went straight into the tank and hasn't been relevant since. That's what he was referring to.

How did you recently become a Gophers fan? Get married to one or something? Kid goes to school here?

• Prop 48
  • They were somewhat cutting edge in terms of strength & conditioning back in the day (probably with some PED help too), but nearly all schools have eliminated that edge. Many schools prioritizing their strength & conditioning coach.
  • They have wonderful facilities, but there are LOTS of schools that have wonderful facilities now. They are no longer unique in terms of prioritizing football.
  • Game has evolved & Power-I not as prevalent. I'd say option too, but option is still a large part of football; it just has changed in terms of read option & run pass option compared to what Nebraska excelled at in the past. Bill Callahan may have not be the right guy at the right time for Nebraska as they still had some advantages with their identity, but the game has changed & he wanted to go with that change.
  • What have they done in the last 15 years? Recruits now only know of their history via YouTube.
Just my thoughts.
I think this sums up a lot of it. I've read about how Nebraska really was ahead of its time with its strength and conditioning but it was only a matter of time before other programs caught up. As you said, other schools have great facilities, too.

I think in terms of their history, while it hasn't been stellar, a coach could still sell Nebraska as a team on the rise back to prominence at various points during the last two decades. When Nebraska entered the Big Ten, Bo Pelini had won two bowl games, three division titles and finished twice in the Top 25. There's been spots of being more relevant there to at least build a foundation for the future.

I feel like it has more to do with bad hires, which has led to coaching changes and instability. Then, with each coaching change, even more pressure is added to the new hire to get the glory days back.

The bigger issue I think is it's just not as easy to recruit people to Nebraska as it used to be.
A state like many other farming states and areas are slowly losing population and there are far fewer younger people to want to play for NE.
This is my thought, too. I think the main reason Iowa has been able to stay at the level it's at is because of the stability from Fry to Ferentz.

He inherited a national championship winning team (2001 Miami is top 5 all time I'd say) and went to the NC game again with Butch Davis' recruits (lost to tOSU and Maurice Clarrett on some BS penalty) and then Miami went straight into the tank and hasn't been relevant since. That's what he was referring to.

How did you recently become a Gophers fan? Get married to one or something? Kid goes to school here?
I'm aware of him, for sure, just not to the extent I am of Solich and his situation having grown up on the fringes of Cornhusker Country.

Gopher fan due to moving north to ND and now have kids as students and alumni. No way can I be a UND or NDSU fan.

• Prop 48
Just my thoughts.
My thoughts are the extreme cheating for decades caught up with them. No longer can you get people in that can't read, write or do arithmetic plus the arrest records. Now there are things like the ACT, minimum core academics in high school. Those changes hit the program hard. Now they are competing with everyone for student athletes.

From all the good reasons here, some is also talent development and retention. Nebraska has been recruiting ranking ahead of Minnesota and Northwestern, and frequently Wisconsin and Iowa as well. The outcomes have been behind all of those programs. The number of players sent to the pros has been far lagging Wisconsin and Iowa, and has been lagging Minnesota and Northwestern as well.

Nebraska's not getting top 10 classes anymore, but they are still landing in the 20-35 range every year and struggling to stay out of the West cellar.

Yeah, they found out the Big Ten is a tough conference even minnows like Minnesota from ten years ago can beat you on any given Saturday.

There are no less than SEVEN official Nebraska bars in the Phoenix metro area. Been to a couple. Not one patron I’ve asked wants to move back there. So why play there?

Last edited:

That may be so.....but Pelini never delivered a season with less than nine wins. He was fired for not reaching the NC standards set prior. It was silly then.....and even more silly now.

The better competition in B1G conference had something to do with it.
The 2010s Minnesota and Purdue and Illinois are better than the 1970s and 1980s Kansas, k state, Iowa state, Colorado, Oklahoma state

by a lot

The big 8 was essentially 4-5 free wins a year

That may be so.....but Pelini never delivered a season with less than nine wins. He was fired for not reaching the NC standards set prior. It was silly then.....and even more silly now.
He wasn’t fired for on field. Bo was fired for off field stuff. And 9 wins wasn’t good enough to ignore his personality issues. If he had been winning 11 he might still be the coach.

Yeah, they found out the Big Ten is a tough conference even minnows like Minnesota from ten years ago can beat you on any given Saturday.
Correct, the bottom of the big 8 was impotent in the 60s 70s and 80s

He wasn’t fired for on field. Bo was fired for off field stuff. And 9 wins wasn’t good enough to ignore his personality issues. If he had been winning 11 he might still be the coach.
Bo was also fired because he hated recruiting and as a result was terrible at it. Bo’s downfall was also not having his brother on staff anymore who was the only staff member that would call him on things and wasn’t a yes man. Bo’s best years were with Callahan recruits. Callahan was a damn good recruiter, just to loyal to his DC Kevin Cosgrove

Top Bottom