ESPN Mock Draft: Round 2, Pick 1: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (via CHI)​

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

The Steelers need an offensive line makeover, and Schmitz is my top-ranked center and a legitimate top-32 prospect. His quickness and power as a second-level blocker were on display at the Senior Bowl and would immediately help the Pittsburgh unit.

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (via CHI)​

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

The Steelers need an offensive line makeover, and Schmitz is my top-ranked center and a legitimate top-32 prospect. His quickness and power as a second-level blocker were on display at the Senior Bowl and would immediately help the Pittsburgh unit.

Go Gophers!!
I hope he squeezes into that first round money

I hope he squeezes into that first round money
Honest question. Is it better to be at the tail end of round 1 and under control of the team for an additional year, or early in the second round and not have that 5th year option?

Honest question. Is it better to be at the tail end of round 1 and under control of the team for an additional year, or early in the second round and not have that 5th year option?
I would think it depends on if you are good enough to get that 2nd contract and pay bump. I think there's about a $4M difference between the bottom of the 1st and top of the 2nd.

I would think it depends on if you are good enough to get that 2nd contract and pay bump. I think there's about a $4M difference between the bottom of the 1st and top of the 2nd.
It also looks better for the player and the school to have a pick be a 1st round guy. Even if the difference in reality is just a couple of spots.

In the end though I just hope JMS lands in a good situation. One massive advantage to going late in round 1 vs. early in round 2 is that you are likely going to a much better team at the end of round 1 since that is where the playoff teams from the previous year usually pick.

It also looks better for the player and the school to have a pick be a 1st round guy. Even if the difference in reality is just a couple of spots.

In the end though I just hope JMS lands in a good situation. One massive advantage to going late in round 1 vs. early in round 2 is that you are likely going to a much better team at the end of round 1 since that is where the playoff teams from the previous year usually pick.
You are most likely to get picked by the Vikings. 🙃

That’s a big bump.

I could go for a light jostle….

First round for sure. I also think it's better to get drafted at the end of the seventh than to not get drafted and be a free agent. Getting drafted means the team has picked you, and you want that when you're trying to get a roster slot.

11 Gophers drafted in last 3 years and at least 1 player taken in Rd 1 or 2. How many get drafted this year? JMS, Smith, Howden, Ibrahim, Morgan?, Rush? Good thing is that Gophers that have gotten drafted have generally stuck on their NFL rosters.

A few years ago, Gopher fans were screaming at the Vikings to pick Antoine Winfield Jr. -- a no brainer but instead they chose CB Jeff Gladney who was out of the league in 2 years.

Just saying this because the Vikings are about to make the same mistake again by overlooking another Gopher in their own backyard so they can pick up another loser CB.

Here it comes......

Yes, the Vikings seem to have drafted an unusually high amount of CB's the past few years. Most have not stuck and end up on other rosters around the league. Zimmer was in love with that position.

This is more like it:
Pick
Seattle Seahawks

John Michael Schmitz

Minnesota · C

Schmitz is a polished center with the strength and athleticism to play in any run scheme. He'll make the Seahawks' run game better and add to what's shaping up to be a talented, young O-line.

A few years ago, Gopher fans were screaming at the Vikings to pick Antoine Winfield Jr. -- a no brainer but instead they chose CB Jeff Gladney who was out of the league in 2 years.

Just saying this because the Vikings are about to make the same mistake again by overlooking another Gopher in their own backyard so they can pick up another loser CB.

Here it comes......
WIth the new DC and his attacking style, which leaves CBs on an island, a corner is probably a wise selection this year.

Vikes have lots of holes. IOL, CB, LB, WR (maybe not on R1) are all viable options.

Ideally they trade back a few places and pick up JMS and get a few more picks, similar to the Darrisaw move a few years ago.

Vikings draft has been a total disaster the past 6-7 years. Jefferson (2020) has been the only impact player since when? Darrisaw in 2021 or 2017 Delvin Cook? I don't think they have drafted a player during that time that starts consistently on defense. The starters have almost always been offense: Ingram 22, Darrisaw 21, Jefferson, Cleveland, Osborn in 20, Bradbury 19, O"Neil 18 and Cook 17.

Vikings interior OL needs a massive boost. JMS would fill a gaping hole for The Purple. Let's make that happen.
Ideally the Vikings would trade back and take him. But even at #23 I like it. But they probably won't, and a smart drafting team like Pittsburgh/Baltimore/KC will snap him up.

Vikings draft has been a total disaster the past 6-7 years. Jefferson (2020) has been the only impact player since when? Darrisaw in 2021 or 2017 Delvin Cook? I don't think they have drafted a player during that time that starts consistently on defense. The starters have almost always been offense: Ingram 22, Darrisaw 21, Jefferson, Cleveland, Osborn in 20, Bradbury 19, O"Neil 18 and Cook 17.
Looking back at past drafts can be painful.

2018 we took Mike Hughes. Lamar Jackson and Shaquille Leanord went soon after.

2019 we took Garrett Bradbury. Jeffrey Simmons, Montez Sweat and Deebo Samuel went soon after.

Darrisaw and obviously JJ were good picks. Verdict is out on the trading way down for Cine. A lot of good players went 12 and after last year.

RS had some rough defensive drafts.

Bynum is a starting safety...would have been a season long battle with Cine.
James Lynch has been a regular in the DT rotation.
Early results but Big O and Akayleb Evans from this past draft got some good run.

Early results but Big O and Akayleb Evans from this past draft got some good run.
That's an understatement. Draft on the offensive side has been good for the most part but defensively has been a disaster.

Getting some run on a #31 rated defense doesn't give much credence to horrible Queen drafts on the D side. On good teams that run time would likely be much less.

Ideally the Vikings would trade back and take him. But even at #23 I like it. But they probably won't, and a smart drafting team like Pittsburgh/Baltimore/KC will snap him up.
Trade back and get JMS; pick up an upper-half-of-the-league Guard in free agency. Done. Offensive line is fixed.

Cine and Booth both come back from IR. That lets the D not play two slow veterans on every down in the backfield. That lets the LBs play up to help out the line. Draft a talented STOUT nose tackle high. Defense solved.

One more thing: draft Mo late. Trade Cook. You can thank me later.

One more thing: draft Mo late. Trade Cook. You can thank me later.
Mo just isn't going to be an every down back in the NFL.

He's not explosive hitting the hole, lacks a top gear, and isn't a threat in the passing game. He's a hard nosed runner who will get tough yards and that's likely what his role will be in the NFL!

Mo just isn't going to be an every down back in the NFL.

He's not explosive hitting the hole, lacks a top gear, and isn't a threat in the passing game. He's a hard nosed runner who will get tough yards and that's likely what his role will be in the NFL!
Mainly agree. I've posted pretty much the exact same comments - probably more than a year ago.

Surprisingly, though, Mo struck me as considerable MORE explosive this year. After returning from an injury. Don't know how that happened. Didn't really think that was possible. But he picked up a step of speed/acceleration.

For the Vikes, Mo is what they need. Cook is not the right guy to pick up one yard. He can break a long one, which is spectacular when it occurs (Buffalo!), but an answer is needed relating to "how do we reliably keep the chains moving?"

They have the passing threat to keep the linebackers and defensive backs off the lines of scrimmage. Solve the IOL issue; and put Mo in the backfield. He'll move the ball - eventually 6+ yards at a time, until the LBs and secondary move up to support. Then Jefferson/Osborn/Hockenson will take yards 20+ at a crack.

Top Bottom