ESPN: Minnesota Golden Gophers resume practice, on track to face Nebraska Cornhuskers

Taji34

Reaction score
per ESPN:
Minnesota returned to practice Monday and is on track to play Nebraska this week despite having more than 20 players out because of COVID-19 protocols.

Coach P.J. Fleck said Monday that the Gophers can play the game because the team has had no positive COVID-19 tests since Thursday and just two in the past seven days. The Big Ten's thresholds for playing with both test positivity rate and population positivity rate are based on a seven-day rolling average. The league also requires players who test positive to miss a minimum of 21 days and go through cardiac testing and reconditioning before being cleared to play.

Also worth noting this nugget of information also included:
Fleck also expressed his desire to play Wisconsin next week. The Big Ten initially set aside the final weekend for division crossover games as well as the league title game at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. But sources said certain intra-division games that were canceled could be made up Dec. 18 or Dec. 19.

Going to be great to watch a Gopher game this weekend. With all the players out whether it be Covid or injuries, it may not be the result we want it in the end except give the players some playing time.

Going to be great to watch a Gopher game this weekend. With all the players out whether it be Covid or injuries, it may not be the result we want it in the end except give the players some playing time.
So much this. I LOVE football (duh) and watched a lot the past two weekends, but it just wasn't the same without a Gophers game. Win or lose, watching the Gophers is better than not watching the Gophers.

Some comments from Fleck on Monday - note the number of players who will be missing for Nebraska:

Now with that said, I'll explain. We are going to have unavailable because of the COVID 21 day protocol. More than 20+ players that are not available. Just from that. Not including injuries or anything like that.

There's that 21 day protocol that still keeps kids out for that long. That's why we're in that position that we're in. But definitely north of 20 players will be missing just from COVID, and then you add in the injuries. This is what it is.

Excuse me. I have to go now and bet on Nebraska to cover the spread......

Some comments from Fleck on Monday - note the number of players who will be missing for Nebraska:

Now with that said, I'll explain. We are going to have unavailable because of the COVID 21 day protocol. More than 20+ players that are not available. Just from that. Not including injuries or anything like that.

There's that 21 day protocol that still keeps kids out for that long. That's why we're in that position that we're in. But definitely north of 20 players will be missing just from COVID, and then you add in the injuries. This is what it is.

Excuse me. I have to go now and bet on Nebraska to cover the spread......
We had over 20 out vs Purdue too who will all be back. But I suspect the 20 missing this time will contain more impact guys. Sigh.

So much this. I LOVE football (duh) and watched a lot the past two weekends, but it just wasn't the same without a Gophers game. Win or lose, watching the Gophers is better than not watching the Gophers.

I'd be curious how many people feel this way as it's totally foreign to me. I've seen enough Gopher losses to last my lifetime. If I was told in advance the Gophers were going to lose a game or it simply wouldn't be played, I'd much rather it not be played. That's a hypothetical that doesn't exist in reality (not suggesting purposely avoiding playing a game) but it would be interesting to see the results on something like that.

I am not really thrilled about the idea of playing a football game after 2 weeks off of practice and missing at least 20 guys due to COVID-19 regardless of the outcome. How many of the available guys for this week will just be returning from COVID-19 and maybe missed a month of practice and will have just ~5 practices to return to elite level, high contact competition? If one kid suffers a significant injury during the game and you could plausibly tie it back to the team not being physically ready to compete, that would be the worst possible result.

I'd be curious how many people feel this way as it's totally foreign to me. I've seen enough Gopher losses to last my lifetime. If I was told in advance the Gophers were going to lose a game or it simply wouldn't be played, I'd much rather it not be played. That's a hypothetical that doesn't exist in reality (not suggesting purposely avoiding playing a game) but it would be interesting to see the results on something like that.

I am not really thrilled about the idea of playing a football game after 2 weeks off of practice and missing at least 20 guys due to COVID-19 regardless of the outcome. How many of the available guys for this week will just be returning from COVID-19 and maybe missed a month of practice and will have just ~5 practices to return to elite level, high contact competition? If one kid suffers a significant injury during the game and you could plausibly tie it back to the team not being physically ready to compete, that would be the worst possible result.
I'm kind of with you. If it's one team's JV squad against the other teams varsity I'm not sure it's that much fun to watch.

I'm kind of with you. If it's one team's JV squad against the other teams varsity I'm not sure it's that much fun to watch.
Kind of like a pre Big 10 game in September that we pay good money to see in person?

I think in previous years I might have leaned towards the not playing angle. But at this point it is all about getting experience for the young guys and playing games against actual opponents is one of the best ways for that to happen.

The W-L record for 2020 is meaningless for the vast majority of teams due to what everyone has had to deal with. So for the development of the 2021 Gopher football team, I am hopeful that we get to play both Nebraska and Wisconsin to close out the year and could honestly care less if we win or lose both games.

If we live in deep dread of watching our team lose a game, then, yes; the best way to avoid having all our fears realized is to, well... not play the games. Especially if we believe that circumstances leave our team at a disadvantage.

I mean, take it one step farther: we could just shut down the U football program starting today, and we'd never have to suffer through another loss. Whew! Safe as houses, as the Brits say.

On the other hand, we'd never see an underdog Gopher team stage a thrilling upset, either.

The good news is that you are in charge of you! If you're the type who really hates the idea of witnessing the agony of defeat for your team, there's a way to avoid it: just stop watching.

If that's how I felt, I'd wonder if maybe competitive sports — which, by definition, involves uncertainty in outcomes, and winners and losers — simply isn't for me. Maybe I'd consider finding a different hobby. Gardening is good, I'm told... little risk of disappointment or heartache involved.

Last edited:

I can't wait to see us on the field again. Being older I have watched many games where we were at full strength and were still throttled, I mean beaten. I really believe we are building something here and am willing to watch it play out.

If we live in deep dread of watching our team lose a game, then, yes; the best way to avoid having all our fears realized is to, well... not play the games. Especially if we believe that circumstances leave our team at a disadvantage.

I mean, take it one step farther: we could just shut down the U football program starting today, and we'd never have to suffer through another loss. Whew! Safe as houses, as the Brits say.

On the other hand, we'd never see an underdog Gopher team stage a thrilling upset, either.

The good news is that you are in charge of you! If you're the type who really hates the idea of witnessing the agony of defeat for your team, there's a way to avoid it: just stop watching.

If that's how I felt, I'd wonder if maybe competitive sports — which, by definition, involves uncertainty in outcomes, and winners and losers — simply isn't for me. Maybe I'd consider finding a different hobby. Gardening is good, I'm told... little risk of disappointment or heartache involved.
I'm normally all for playing the game, but if you have a situation where it's a joke, like the Denver - New Orleans game where Denver had zero quarterbacks, it should not be played. It's an insult to both teams and the fans.

I don't know who comprises the guys we have out. If we have our top 3 QB's out or our top 6 offensive lineman, it really should not be played. If it's dispersed enough among different groups, than play ball.

I'm normally all for playing the game, but if you have a situation where it's a joke, like the Denver - New Orleans game where Denver had zero quarterbacks, it should not be played. It's an insult to both teams and the fans.

I don't know who comprises the guys we have out. If we have our top 3 QB's out or our top 6 offensive lineman, it really should not be played. If it's dispersed enough among different groups, than play ball.

Agree to disagree. If P.J. Fleck thinks we have a chance to win the game, I'm all for playing. Yes, we may be at a disadvantage. Well... that's what's known as a challenging situation. I think certain people thrive in just those types of circumstances.

The reason the character of Rocky Balboa is fascinating is because he was a big underdog. The story of David and Goliath would never have made it down through the generations if Goliath had won, as expected.

Some guy once said, "Do not be afraid to be a legend!"

We had over 20 out vs Purdue too who will all be back. But I suspect the 20 missing this time will contain more impact guys. Sigh.
That 20 included injuries (Oliver, for example) and opt-outs (Faalele, etc.). This is >20 players who have to sit out just from testing positive.

Hey, maybe it's a bunch of backups. I know we'll have BSJ and Schad back, because they were sitting out with covid for the Purdue game. Same with some other DL.

What could be very worrisome is the OL.

Good points on both sides, of the glad they're playing/not so glad they're playing discussion.

Regardless, I will be watching. And I will probably be drinking while doing so.

As I have for 50 some years, I will watch, listen and expect the best from the Gophers. While the team may be a "JV" version of the team I love, I will be anticipate a Gopher win.

Thanks for the condescending post. I had no idea I was in charge of myself.

Trust me, there are very few people out there that are more competitive than I am. I'm in my mid 40's and still playing and coaching competitive sports (at least when they are not shut down by COVID).

The scenario I threw out there was literally every player on the field for one team being a backup or 3rd string player (a JV team). I don't think that would be a whole lot of fun to watch. A few players being out? Sure play the game (like the game vs Purdue).

Thanks for the condescending post. I had no idea I was in charge of myself.

Trust me, there are very few people out there that are more competitive than I am. I'm in my mid 40's and still playing and coaching competitive sports (at least when they are not shut down by COVID).

The scenario I threw out there was literally every player on the field for one team being a backup or 3rd string player (a JV team). I don't think that would be a whole lot of fun to watch. A few players being out? Sure play the game (like the game vs Purdue).

Okay, so you don't think it would be fun to watch.

Cool. Don't watch. Hopefully you won't mind if I do watch. And... I am truly sorry if that seems 'condescending'.

I get what Word is saying.

I'm a Gopher fan. I want to see the Gophers play competitive games.
If both teams line up with their best players, and the other team wins, so be it. That's what sports are about.

But if it's a depleted Gopher squad with lots of 2nd and 3rd-string players going out there and getting rolled, while we have to watch bleepin' Scott Frost act like he's winning the Rose Bowl (and keeping his starters out there the entire game - wait and see...), then how much fun is that to watch?

Again, I want a competitive game. I don't want a bleep show. and this has the potential to be a bleep show. It's a lot harder to get excited about that.

I want us to play for the players.

Interesting point.

If you're a senior on the Gophers, and you are coming down to the end of your Gopher football career, do you want to skip this game because the deck is stacked against you, and you might lose?

Well, I know that the Huskers can play some pretty bad ball at times this year. I'm not ruling out my Gophers even if we are a JV squad.

Well, I know that the Huskers can play some pretty bad ball at times this year. I'm not ruling out my Gophers even if we are a JV squad.
The last two weeks they played the same two teams that we last played, and they did significantly better against both than we did.

Nonetheless, your point stands.

The games are meaningless.
If a player suffers a career ending injury it hurts a lot more happening in a contest that has little or no meaning.

Gardening is good, I'm told... little risk of disappointment or heartache involved.

You must not get many deer in your neck of the woods--trying to keep a garden in Rochester just about broke my mother's will.

Anybody have a list of who we're all is expected to be out?

Top Bottom