ESPN: Michigan State coach Tom Izzo 'sought out' witness in 2017 criminal investigation of player

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo and two assistant coaches contacted a witness in a 2017 investigation of criminal sexual conduct involving a basketball player before the witness had discussed the incident with police or school investigators, records newly obtained by ESPN show.

MSU student Brayden Smith was with then-freshman guard Brock Washington on the night a female student said Washington forcibly groped her, according to a Michigan State University police report obtained by ESPN through a public records request to the Ingham County Prosecutor's Office. On Aug. 31, 2017, the female student told police that Washington grabbed her butt without her consent, tried to pull her to the floor despite her telling him no, reached toward her vagina and kissed her without her consent, according to the Michigan State University police report.

When police officers interviewed Smith about what he had seen that night in August 2017, he said he had already been contacted by Izzo and assistant coaches Dwayne Stephens and Mike Garland about the incident. They "asked [Smith] if he was OK and if there was anything that he had seen during the evening," according to the report. Smith made a similar statement to a Michigan State Title IX investigator: "Mr. Smith said he was sought out by Mr. Izzo and other members of the basketball coaching staff. Mr. Smith said they asked him what he knew and if he was OK," according to the Title IX report. Smith, who was not present for most of the interactions between Washington and the woman, told police that what he saw he thought was consensual.

W. Scott Lewis, co-founder of the Association of Title IX Administrators and a partner with TNG, a consulting firm that works with schools on Title IX compliance, said the actions of Izzo and his coaches are improper and could open the school up to a complaint to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or a lawsuit.

"You just don't do that," Lewis said.

Go Gophers!!

This kind of feels like the other shoe dropping after the football program at MSU.

We have vigorous support for Go Sparty and St Tommy right here on GH.

Blatant cheating.

The fact is that any program that has been successful year after year is cheating. FACT. Either paying players, letting them get by without doing any schoolwork, or getting them out of trouble like this. Start the list. Any program that is consistently rated in the top 15 is guilty.

I guess the police and school officials were slower than Izzo....no problem with the coach requesting info regarding a player’s alleged behavior

I guess the police and school officials were slower than Izzo....no problem with the coach requesting info regarding a player’s alleged behavior
Depends on what he told/asked the witness.

He is such a dick. I can't stand Izzo. Fuck that dude. One of the biggest tools in the game. Can't wait for the old guard to leave. He and Coach K have a special place in hell.
Agree. One of these powerful coaches that need to go.

I mean...if you read the article where it says he may be open to a lawsuit, it probably means there is something wrong with it.

The fact is that any program that has been successful year after year is cheating. FACT. Either paying players, letting them get by without doing any schoolwork, or getting them out of trouble like this. Start the list. Any program that is consistently rated in the top 15 is guilty.
Flat out lie.

You forgot "except Tony Bennett and UVA". :cool:

I mean...if you read the article where it says he may be open to a lawsuit, it probably means there is something wrong with it.
He has not been accused of any crimes, possibly being open to a lawsuit is a nothing burger, he did not break any laws, is not even accused of witness tampering...we can talk further when you get a law degree and an unbiased mindset.

He has not been accused of any crimes, possibly being open to a lawsuit is a nothing burger, he did not break any laws, is not even accused of witness tampering...we can talk further when you get a law degree and an unbiased mindset.

LOL. So the story is out there because its nothing. Got it. I don’t care if Izzo cheats, I really don’t. I think the dude is a dick and gets a pass for some reason

LOL. So the story is out there because its nothing. Got it. I don’t care if Izzo cheats, I really don’t. I think the dude is a dick and gets a pass for some reason
He gets a pass because your jealousy of his success does not warrant an indictment

And Greg Gard and Jay Wright and Chris Mack. Not everyone, he said everyone of those that win.
Yup, Gard the standup guy, allowed HIS player to REPEATEDLY play despite on court actions that jeopardized other players. THAT Greg Gard.

He infamously tried to quell the outrage when Dr. Nassir's disgusting and appauling crimes started to come to light - so this fits the bill.

Whether what he did is criminal or not, opens him/the school to a civil suit or not remains to be seen. I find that behavior reprehensible as he obviously was trying to protect his player and cared nothing about the alleged assault victim. He should be officially repremanded by the university

He gets a pass because your jealousy of his success does not warrant an indictment

Yes. You know me. Very jealous of Tom Izzo. Always have been. Wish I was a lawyer like you so I could go after him! Maybe during shelter in place I can get through some law school

Yes. You know me. Very jealous of Tom Izzo. Always have been. Wish I was a lawyer like you so I could go after him! Maybe during shelter in place I can get through some law school
No worries, anyone could get through Law School.

I would have included St. Greg Gard, except the OP said top 15.
Well at least you remembered Tony Bennett but you forgot the other championship winner that does not cheat, Jay Wright. Not all coaches that win big cheat.

What he did was flat out wrong enough s asvas idwhat he did was flat out wrong enough said!QUOTE="Just Gopher It!!, post: 1940033, member: 13535"]
He infamously tried to quell the outrage when Dr. Nassir's disgusting and appauling crimes started to come to light - so this fits the bill.

Whether what he did is criminal or not, opens him/the school to a civil suit or not remains to be seen. I find that behavior reprehensible as he obviously was trying to protect his player and cared nothing about the alleged assault victim. He should be officially repremanded by the university
What he did was flat out wrong enough said!

He is such a dick. I can't stand Izzo. Fuck that dude. One of the biggest tools in the game. Can't wait for the old guard to leave. He and Coach K have a special place in hell.

Don't like him either. Poor, poor Tom. Always the victim. Sore loser. Ungrateful winner.

Yes, some of those have won in a far larger way but they have all won clean. Add Beard, Holtman.,White.... For me, winning without cheating is the only way to win.

Can't believe I didn't mention Beard or Holtmann who are two guys I like a ton.

Not true. Just because there are programs that are cheating and win, doesn't mean that they all cheat. Everyone that associates with those cheaters in the "name of winning" are responsible for that cheating. If fans, schools, players, administrators, leagues, etc. would stop encouraging the cheating by ignoring it, those teams would fail.

Last edited:

Then you are part of the problem by not caring if a team cheats! Maybe you should switch to watching the WWE.

Last edited:

Top Bottom