ESPN: Jack Coan named Notre Dame starting quarterback against Florida State

I guess the QB room is a little thin for the gold domers!

why do you say that? 18TD vs 5ints in one season as a starter with an almost 70% completion percentage. It's not like he's horrible. The Mertz starting over him long term thing still baffled me with how bad he was during stretches last season

Yeah, I thought Conan was/is a pretty good QB. Hoping Mertz is as unimpressive as he was last year against pretty much any team not named Illinois.

Mertz had a dinged shoulder, had symptomatic covid and did not have the two starting receivers because of covid.
All of those have resolved.
Chryst who has a vast experience with QBs made a decision early that Mertz was their guy.
But then he kept a toxic, TO machine Hornibrook as a starter. That was one of the reasons MN broke the losing string to WI.
Coan is competent, bright and will not lose the game by TOs but he was not a game changer.

Mertz had a dinged shoulder, had symptomatic covid and did not have the two starting receivers because of covid.
Chryst who has a vast experience with QBs made a decision early that Mertz was their guy.
But then he kept a toxic, TO machine Hornibrook as a starter. That was one of the reasons MN broke the losing string to WI.
Coan is competent, bright and will not lose the game by TOs but he was not a game changer.
I get your post here, but the bolded seems out of place with the rest of it.

What does 2018 have to do with Mertz and Coan, either in 2019 or 2020?

Making excuses for a loss.

Put me in the group that's glad Coan is at Notre Dame and was unimpressed with Mertz. He was just a freshman and didn't have a logo yet but he looked inaccurate.
Will be fun when they play each other. Then there is this

Yeah not really sure what 2018 had to do with the Coan/Mertz thing either but it is Plato and you know that loss still bugs him so he isn't going to pass up an opportunity to offer excuses for why it happened.

Little surprised Coan was able to win the starting job at Notre Dame but he was solid and clearly they liked what they saw in him enough to bring him in.

Will be interesting to see what Mertz looks like this year. He lit the world on fire in his first start but was very mediocre outside of that game. Both Mertz and Morgan have a lot to prove heading into 2021 as both were pretty underwhelming last year overall.

Will be fun when they play each other. Then there is this

I don't know who Jeff Potrykus is but love takes like this that server no purpose but to try and drum up a QB controversy where there isn't one.

I would hope a scholarship QB is capable of making similar/better throws than another scholarship QB in practice. There should not be a massive separation between them in terms of on the field ability. The same way there shouldn't be a massive difference in arm talent between the scholarship QBs on our roster.

It is all the other stuff that determines who is the starter, every scholarship QB on a power 5 roster should have some level of ability....of course as I type that our QB situation in 2017 jumps to mind....Croft was on scholarship but there wasn't much ability there :)

I don't know who Jeff Potrykus is but love takes like this that server no purpose but to try and drum up a QB controversy where there isn't one.
He's something like a Reusse/Souhan for the Milwaukee paper.

So yes, that type of thing would be "good for business".

I would hope a scholarship QB is capable of making similar/better throws than another scholarship QB in practice. There should not be a massive separation between them in terms of on the field ability. The same way there shouldn't be a massive difference in arm talent between the scholarship QBs on our roster.

It is all the other stuff that determines who is the starter, every scholarship QB on a power 5 roster should have some level of ability....of course as I type that our QB situation in 2017 jumps to mind....Croft was on scholarship but there wasn't much ability there :)
He is literally the Milwaukee journal sentinel beat reporter for badgers athletics

so quit trying to paint it like I took some random guy off Twitter if you don’t know who Im quoting

He is literally the Milwaukee journal sentinel beat reporter for badgers athletics

so quit trying to paint it like I took some random guy off Twitter if you don’t know who Im quoting
don't take it personal. Was just commenting on tweets like this where someone watches some practice and assumes they have some deeper insight into what the team should be doing.

Clearly this guy is more plugged in than the typical fan but he is still making a pretty generic observation. I mean saying the backup throws as well as the starter sometimes in practice really isn't saying much.

don't take it personal. Was just commenting on tweets like this where someone watches some practice and assumes they have some deeper insight into what the team should be doing.

Clearly this guy is more plugged in than the typical fan but he is still making a pretty generic observation. I mean saying the backup throws as well as the starter sometimes in practice really isn't saying much.
If the strib beat reporter for the gophers said that the backup has been looking just as good in practice it would be a 40 page thread

I'm not sure great QBs are what I think of when I think of Chryst's time at Wisc...

I think Chryst has been dubbed the QB whisperer ever since WI was gifted Russel Wilson as a grad transfer.
He's a fake!!!!!!!!! At least we can spread the rumor for recruiting purposes.

I put that in to show that Chryst despite his reputation as a QB guru has made mistakes about QBs in the past.

I think Chryst has been dubbed the QB whisperer ever since WI was gifted Russel Wilson as a grad transfer.
Which is funny because with 2nd team all big ten level QB play Wisconsin might have a couple national titles the past 15 years

I honestly expected at some point that we'd have the same conversation about Zack at some point.

Less so as much about who is better as much as we pick someone and the other guy goes to take his shot elsewhere.

I honestly expected at some point that we'd have the same conversation about Zack at some point.

Less so as much about who is better as much as we pick someone and the other guy goes to take his shot elsewhere.
I think ZA will get another shot here. Plus he's from here, brother is on the team, and he's right with Big Dan.

True Coan isn't horrible, but he's definitely a notch down from Book! It doesn't look like Coan had much of a challenge!

If the strib beat reporter for the gophers said that the backup has been looking just as good in practice it would be a 40 page thread
Only if he could throw it 40 yards

The year prior, Scott Tolzein finished with the 5th best completion percentage in a single season ever (currently sits at 13) and won the Johnny Unitas golden arm award. Those back to back seasons earned him a lot of cred around Madison.

I think ZA will get another shot here. Plus he's from here, brother is on the team, and he's right with Big Dan.
If that happens in 2021, it probably means either Tanner suffered a very unfortunate injury ... or more likely that the season has gone very much not the way we were hoping.

Hopefully that next shot is 2022. (with Tanner getting drafted next spring)

Top Bottom