ESPN: Greg McDermott suspended by Creighton after racially insensitive comments

I was asking a genuine question, are we actually living in a society where any word that had any negative connotation at any time towards any group can no longer be used even when not trying to disparage anyone? Does this coach have history beyond this that would make this comment have greater impact? I think the problem is that we can no longer bring these questions up without being labeled "Rush" or some other name to ignore the real question at hand. I think his choice of word was unusual for sure, but to immediately implicate the use of it as inherently bad is dangerous to a free and open society. Context and intent are important and should not be forgotten.

Blame the internet. Anyone has the ability to have a platform now, regardless if people listen to that individual or not.

There's been a lot of pent up anger and hate for a long time. I think the next decade will be very interesting regarding the direction the US goes in as far as social policies and other stuff (can't think because im drunk).

The way its going, It wouldn't surprise me if the 1st amendment was amended.

Like after the metoo movement, I seriously got scared about flirting with the opposite sex at the bar.

Anyways, lets get back to basketball

The interesting thing is that an analogy of a plantation (as culturally insensitive as it is) can fit for division 1 athletics such as mens basketball and football.
Clearly the universities make millions of dollars off these student athletes while the athletes get housing, food and minimal education in exchange. In that light, the analogy of plantation life has some merit. No university administrator wants a coach to admit to it or make that comparison and since the emotional history is real, it is very easy to discipline the coach for making a connection.
Mcdermott was certainly insensitive, but was he as far off as one might initially think?
In most cases, really nice housing for free, more food than can be imagined for free, Loads of free education if they want it, free health insurance, free travel, a chance to play a college sport that they were thrilled about, great medical care for free, free apparel . About 500,000 worth over 4 years.

As a democrat....I will absolutely agree that the social justice movement has gone too far in many cases. But quickly think about this. The connotation behind the word "plantation"....and saying that he needs to keep his players on the plantation in a league where the players are predominantly young black men....it doesn't sound right. If a word or phrase is potentially offensive....why even go there? Now I don't think McDermott meant anything inflammatory or racist by this. I think it was a brain fart. But the people saying that there is nothing to apologize for are being obtuse. McDermott has zero to gain by inviting controversy. Being stubborn and tone deaf about a simple mistake would be a stupid hill to die on. And again....if a phrase or word is potentially offensive.....what possible reason would there be to intentionally use it other than to be a douche?

Whatta dummie! He should have said: “Guys, you can’t leave the reservation.”
Nobody woulda cared. 🥴
That might have be just as bad. Remember the "Fighting Sioux" and the Washington Football Team "Redskins"? These cranks are relentless on these peripheral things because they do nothing to really help people and have to settle for symbolic revenge gestures.

That might have be just as bad. Remember the "Fighting Sioux" and the Washington Football Team "Redskins"? These cranks are relentless on these peripheral things because they do nothing to really help people and have to settle for symbolic revenge gestures.

I actually love "The Washington Football Team" and hope they keep the name forever. It's the ultimate in generic labeling.

Definition of plantation per Miriam-Webster:

Definition of plantation
(Entry 1 of 2)
1: a usually large group of plants and especially trees under cultivation
2: a settlement in a new country or region Plymouth Plantation
3a: a place that is planted or under cultivation
b: an agricultural estate usually worked by resident labor

What's racist here other than people making the association themselves to American plantations of the past? Granted I have not heard that expression used, but based on the context sounded more like he was trying to say we can't jump ship gotta stay in the boat. The fact that none of his players were on board with his voluntary resignation kind of says he probably is not someone you would consider a racist. However I would refrain from hiring him because he clearly has no spine, unless there is more context to this quote, he should never of had to apologize. Even with him bending over backwards to make up for it, this whole thread is proclaiming him a toxic hire. Does he have more history with this that I am not aware of?

To be fair, I think all reasonable people would agree that the word "fag" is offensive to gay people, yet if you look up the definition, the top 4 results have nothing to do with sexuality or being gay. Most people associate plantations with slavery (I've never heard someone use that word in any other context), so it is an offensive word.

To be fair, I think all reasonable people would agree that the word "fag" is offensive to gay people, yet if you look up the definition, the top 4 results have nothing to do with sexuality or being gay. Most people associate plantations with slavery (I've never heard someone use that word in any other context), so it is an offensive word.
I don't disagree that the phrase was offensive but calling plantation offensive on its own like fag is just dumb. Not that I think the punishment should be anything but an apology and moving on.

You wouldn't want him because you think he has no spine? LOL. I'd prefer a coach with a brain who realizes that it in no way affects him by apologizing. And LOL at your definition of plantation. You are delusional if you think that even a small portion of Americans think of a large group of plants under cultivation when the word "plantation" is mentioned. It doesn't even fit under the context of his quote. Just silly hard right positions to take on all of this.

All that said....I don't think the outrage is warranted. Clearly a slip up and an odd one at that. Let him serve a short suspension and then come back. I don't think this proves anything regarding him being a racist. Just a brain fart that he's apologized for. Move on.
Not my definition, Miriam-Webster

Not my definition, Miriam-Webster

I get that you were using the dictionary definition. I am pointing out that the dictionary definition doesn't reflect the reality behind the meaning of the word...and it is disingenuous to try and say otherwise. McDermott could have easily said that he was referring to area where trees were planted...but he would have been laughed off of campus.

I get that you were using the dictionary definition. I am pointing out that the dictionary definition doesn't reflect the reality behind the meaning of the word...and it is disingenuous to try and say otherwise. McDermott could have easily said that he was referring to area where trees were planted...but he would have been laughed off of campus.
That is your opinion which you are entitled to, but to insinuate the only meaning of the word is the association it has in America is ridiculous. This is a term used around the world to this day and it has nothing to do with slavery which is why it is defined as it is. Seems the definition does not reflect your reality, if you want to forever hold on to that for some reason go for it. Are we going to avoid mentioning any place ever slaves were used? (FYI this would eliminate basically the entire world) Context matters, if he was using the word to intentionally degrade his players, that is a completely different conversation. When can that word be used with no ill intent and true to the definition without backlash? Who gets to determine that and why? At the end of the day it is just a word, those offended choose to give it power. How long should we be offended or feel guilty for the sins of the past? Also, the right wing label insults are sad, I like your basketball takes stocker I was hoping for a little more of an actual conversation. This is a conversation that is beyond the simple hegelian dialectic speech of daily politics. It doesn't always have to be an us vs. them mentality. Seeing race in everything is not healthy and will only serve to breed deeper racial issues down the line.

That is your opinion which you are entitled to, but to insinuate the only meaning of the word is the association it has in America is ridiculous. This is a term used around the world to this day and it has nothing to do with slavery which is why it is defined as it is. Seems the definition does not reflect your reality, if you want to forever hold on to that for some reason go for it. Are we going to avoid mentioning any place ever slaves were used? (FYI this would eliminate basically the entire world) Context matters, if he was using the word to intentionally degrade his players, that is a completely different conversation. When can that word be used with no ill intent and true to the definition without backlash? Who gets to determine that and why? At the end of the day it is just a word, those offended choose to give it power. How long should we be offended or feel guilty for the sins of the past? Also, the right wing label insults are sad, I like your basketball takes stocker I was hoping for a little more of an actual conversation. This is a conversation that is beyond the simple hegelian dialectic speech of daily politics. It doesn't always have to be an us vs. them mentality. Seeing race in everything is not healthy and will only serve to breed deeper racial issues down the line.

If you look back at my posts....you'll see that I agree there was no ill intent here. But CLEARLY....when using the word "plantation"....the first thing that springs to most people's minds is the connection dating back to slavery. What do you think his players thought of when the word came up? Certainly wasn't the definition that you posted....or else they wouldn't have said anything. To split hairs on that is completely disingenuous.

As for the rest of your post....it doesn't have to be an us vs. them mentality. Unfortunately the right wing has gone on a campaign to deny the existence of racism in today's age. It's a ridiculous claim that is in full view on this very site. So no....people don't have to see race in everything....unfortunately....racial issues are still prevalent around the country and the right wing refuses to acknowledge it.

Let’s have that badger coach retell that Michael jordan story again.

Greg McDermott makes $1.4 million coaching a bunch of unpaid black men. Probably shouldn't talk about plantations.

Top Bottom