ESPN game production

Reaction score
Did they forget the on field microphones?
No crowd noise. No band. Just Joey and Beth.
Sounds like a high school game on cable access.
I miss Aggievission.

I've noticed this for at least the last couple years...they make every effort to make a B1G game seem like a MAC game

I was thinking the same thing about the field mics. It sounds like no one is there when we do something well.

ESPN's production definitely made it seem like there wasn't much crowd noise but I can't imagine that being the case considering the Iowa beatdown that happened today. Definitely disappointing. The 11 am ESPN2 draw is about as bad as it gets as far as TV experience.

I think TV crews have learned their lesson with the gophers

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9SBcSgtIbj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How good are the mics at eliminating the wind?

It's so frustrating. I've been disappointed and upset by TV production and announcers since my youth. There are H.S. games with a more professional presentation. Beth thought Hayden Fry was calling TOs from his couch. Every other play is a promo for MSU-OSU. Beth's best call of the game was letting us know Campion jumped the snap. They weren't aware, never mentioned the B1G leading tackler didn't play the first two series. The blocked punt call was unbelievably not dramatic. What a huge play and Beth practically yawned in her call of it. All around F for the entire production.

How good are the mics at eliminating the wind?

If you put a deadcat, or at least some foam over the mic, the wind can be cut somewhat. If it's windy enough, you'll hear it. Fundamental frequencies can be eliminated but it would depend on the speed of the wind (the frequency). I use a deadcat when I record outside and only rarely do I get a very windy recording. They are like, 50 bucks. ESPN can definetely afford them.

Agree about the lack of crowd noise over the broadcast - for people at the game, was it louder than usual or not? Because over the TV it didn't sound like people were all that excited. I also assumed it was more the broadcast.

Note that, for whatever reason, FOX did that for many many years for their NFC game broadcasts. Guess they wanted us to hear Joe Buck and Matt Millen rather than think the crowd might bring more excitement.

I'll disagree with some about Galloway, however. He actually seemed pretty knowledgeable about the teams, was complimentary of the Gophers throughout, and did a decent job pointing out play schemes. Was he amazing, no, but better than I expected.

Agree about the lack of crowd noise over the broadcast - for people at the game, was it louder than usual or not? Because over the TV it didn't sound like people were all that excited. I also assumed it was more the broadcast.

We were up by two scores plus for most of the game, so it really wasn't that loud. We got loud on a couple third downs in the first quarter, but not louder than usual. Everyone seemed to just be enjoying themselves waiting for us to go grab Floyd in the 2nd half. Plus there were 8,000 Iowa fans taking up seats and sitting on their hands in disgust.

It's really a style of production type of thing and not really a slight at Minnesota. CBS makes more of a point to get crowd shots and get crowd noise in their production. Additionally, I know it's hard to admit, but those SEC stadiums are bigger and louder than the Bank. The crowds are into it more because it's just a bigger part of their culture.

In addition to noise the CBS productions seem to utilize tighter cameras to the play as well whereas ESPN values showing the entire field. You notice it a lot in games at OSU with extremely high cameras. I don't like it but it really is what it is.

ESPN's production definitely made it seem like there wasn't much crowd noise but I can't imagine that being the case considering the Iowa beatdown that happened today. Definitely disappointing. The 11 am ESPN2 draw is about as bad as it gets as far as TV experience.

We had microphones in front of us at 50 yd line and were koud

I miss Aggievission.

It was very loud at the game at times and after just watching the DVR tonight, it was very clear that ESPN screwed it up again with the production.

The band and the crowd were very muted and Joey and Mowins were very loud. These ESPN2 and ESPNU 11AM broadcasts usually have technical shortcomings that are not evident on the later day games on ESPN and ESPN2.

I am not sure if this is incompetence or some agenda they have. I'll take a football broadcast on CBS, FS1, Fox and the Big Ten Network over ESPN every time. I am so tired of ESPN.

The BTN broadcasts always do a good job of capturing the crowd and band at TCF. In fact you can hear the band all the time, even when they are not specifically upping the mic level after a score. Today you could barely hear the band on ESPN2 after a score. For some reason when Michigan or OSU get stuck on one of these 11AM ESPN games, they always get the band levels exactly right.

I was so glad Beth and Joey talked for several hours about the playoffs and the SEC. God forbid they should hire a spotter. Two morons. Bring back Dave Lee

People should stop complaining about the broadcast and show up for a game. Sad that we weren't sold out for one of the biggest rivalry games in years. Floyd and the west division lead were on the line and there were open seats everywhere.

Sorry to those of you who went to the game and are now commenting while watchign the replay. The rest of you need to show up.

Joey NEVER looks Pam in the eyes. He stares at the camera. That's why I can't stand him.

People should stop complaining about the broadcast and show up for a game. Sad that we weren't sold out for one of the biggest rivalry games in years. Floyd and the west division lead were on the line and there were open seats everywhere.

Sorry to those of you who went to the game and are now commenting while watchign the replay. The rest of you need to show up.

You might want to bottle your bass a bit. Those of us not attending more often than not live far away from the Cities. Consider yourself lucky if you have the opportunity to attend.

You might want to bottle your bass a bit. Those of us not attending more often than not live far away from the Cities. Consider yourself lucky if you have the opportunity to attend.

Lots of people travel from far away to attend games.

I live in Austin and am happy to cheer on the gophers on tv. Like some angry gopherholer can make me feel bad for not flying to the game every Saturday.

I live in Austin and am happy to cheer on the gophers on tv. Like some angry gopherholer can make me feel bad for not flying to the game every Saturday.

Just saying its an easy problem to fix. If you don't like the TV broadcast go to the game.

Just saying its an easy problem to fix. If you don't like the TV broadcast go to the game.

Another easy fix: if you don't like this thread posted by people forced to watch the game on TV, then don't read it.

I wanted to know what was wrong with the TV broadcast before I re-watched it today.

I miss Aggievission.

Just like Joey & Beth, the Gophers are relegated to the equipment bus. We get the leftovers.

You know Beth does sound good after a few brewskis with nachos and cheese dip. I guess it is better than eating road kill.

I think TV crews have learned their lesson with the gophers

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9SBcSgtIbj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best sound byte ever!!!

We had friends from Iowa ripping them too. Clearly nobody enjoys that crew.

I thought it was funny at the beginning of the game when Beth said that with Nebraska on bye, Minnesota and Iowa were fighting for at least a share of the West division lead.

When I tuned into the game yesterday, I too thought the production was horrible. I didn't know if I was watching football or:
2a32a961e201a9f294486d06bf746fb6.jpg

Top Bottom