ESPN: Former Mizzou tutor says she'll reveal more academic fraud details

I'd be curious to know your opinion on what you feel would have been a fair punishment for UNC, with respect to the academic/accreditation side?

I'm not exactly sure what it would mean to lose accreditation for a period of time, but I have a feeling that the school might no longer be able to award degrees? So for example, how could it possibly be fair that a student at the UNC medical school who had busted rear end for four years would no longer be able to graduate, because a rouge professor in a Liberal Arts dept allowed some students to take a fake course?

And I'm sure a million examples and counter-examples could be concocted.

What do you think?

I think by losing accreditation they would be ineligible for many forms of government loans and aid to their students(amongst a few other things). I understand, from this perspective alone, why they did not lose accreditation. How is it fair to a science student at UNC to lose their federal aid because a humanities class was fraudulent.

I think that more than 1 year probation would have been better. Say give them a decade of having to prove everything is on the up and up with yearly reports on progress and attempts to fix issues that arose from the scam classes.

I'll be a college professor starting in the fall so I know a few of them.

It was a bit of an incendiary comment from me but it was a raw emotional response to what appears to be a racist or sexist comment by you that I couldn't let go.

Edit: The problems I see(In STEM) are the desperate need for graduate students in order to teach classes full of undergraduates. The department I'm currently in desperately attempted to get more than 40 incoming graduate students for next year in order to fill all of their TA slots. This was not because they think that the country needs 40 more of us but that they need 40 people at cheap labor costs, for my field, in order to teach classes. Often those TA's don't care about teaching so they hand out easy A's weather the work is correct or not.

In the United States at least, being a professor at a major research university is like having 4 full time jobs crammed into one position. There's writing grant proposals and going through the applications process with the school and various funding agencies/bureaucracies, there's reviewing papers ad nauseum (not just your own students, but being asked to review submissions for various conferences/journals in your field), there's running a your lab and advising your students on their works, and there's going to endless meetings, reviews, department stuff, college stuff, other admin stuff, having lunch/dinner/meeting with faculty candidates, meeting with collaborating labs/PIs, etc.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: teaching class!! And having to deal with nearly endless undergrad students (or grad students, if you're lucky) that come to your office at all hours seeking help. Between that and planning lectures, writing homeworks and test, that's another two full time jobs.

The university system in the United States is basically built on exploitation of professors, and graduate students. If these people had to be paid a more honest rate for the amount of work they did, the whole thing would quickly collapse due to lack of money.

I'll be a college professor starting in the fall so I know a few of them.

It was a bit of an incendiary comment from me but it was a raw emotional response to what appears to be a racist or sexist comment by you that I couldn't let go.

Edit: The problems I see(In STEM) are the desperate need for graduate students in order to teach classes full of undergraduates. The department I'm currently in desperately attempted to get more than 40 incoming graduate students for next year in order to fill all of their TA slots. This was not because they think that the country needs 40 more of us but that they need 40 people at cheap labor costs, for my field, in order to teach classes. Often those TA's don't care about teaching so they hand out easy A's weather the work is correct or not.

Racist or sexist comment? It does appear you are more in touch with today's academia than I am. I hope that in your classes you encourage intelligent exchange of ideas rather than name calling with a touch of identity politics thrown in. Good Luck.

Racist or sexist comment? It does appear you are more in touch with today's academia than I am. I hope that in your classes you encourage intelligent exchange of ideas rather than name calling with a touch of identity politics thrown in. Good Luck.

I love exchange of ideas. I am just in a field where it has nothing to do with anything you mentioned about "why white men are bad". The Beauty of STEM fields... oh it doesn't matter...

Your potential field has "nothing to do with anything I mentioned" yet you still attempted to play the "I'm going to be a college professor"?

Not exactly a true exchange of ideas if you need to preface it with an appeal to authority. Especially one that admittedly isn't on point.

Top Bottom