ESPN: College football's 100 best games of 2019 (47. Minnesota 31, Penn State 26 (Nov. 9))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

47. Minnesota 31, Penn State 26 (Nov. 9)
What a year Minnesota had. The 8-0 Gophers hosted 8-0 Penn State in the biggest game in the history of TCF Bank Stadium in early November and put on a show. Tanner Morgan completed 18 of 20 passes for 339 yards -- the Minnesota offense was impressive enough that PSU hired away Gophers offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca in December -- and the Minny defense picked off PSU's Sean Clifford three times in the red zone, the last of which came with 1:01 left and clinched a Gophers victory.

Go Gophers!!

So 2nd Biggest game that Saturday, most weeks would have been #1. Many early weeks didn't have a single game of comparable interest.

I'd put CFB Playoffs, Big Bowls and P5 Championships as top 10, not sure how that game falls out of the top 30 for the year.

A game between two undefeated and ranked teams....that needed a red zone pick to seal the game for Minnesota.

And it's only #47? Okay.

Ah...after clicking the link....it appears that these games aren't necessarily in order.

Ah...after clicking the link....it appears that these games aren't necessarily in order.
Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I'm surprised ESPN could work in a few non-SEC games on their list.

IT was the 2nd of 9 games that were titled - TITLE MOMENTS. These are 9 games that played a role in who would play in the #4 spot in the CFP. I was deeply disappointed in the #47 ranking until I went to the article.

A couple things that I keep forgetting or never knew about the game. Morgan had more touchdowns than incompletions. The boat swearing QB for State Penn had 3 red zone picks. So much goodness about that game.

per ESPN:

47. Minnesota 31, Penn State 26 (Nov. 9)
What a year Minnesota had. The 8-0 Gophers hosted 8-0 Penn State in the biggest game in the history of TCF Bank Stadium in early November and put on a show. Tanner Morgan completed 18 of 20 passes for 339 yards -- the Minnesota offense was impressive enough that PSU hired away Gophers offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca in December -- and the Minny defense picked off PSU's Sean Clifford three times in the red zone, the last of which came with 1:01 left and clinched a Gophers victory.

Go Gophers!!

I have it in my top 2 games of 2019. I'll give it the nod for #1 since I was there.

36. Minnesota 31, Auburn 24 (Jan. 1)
It took some early smoke and mirrors to keep Auburn in the Outback Bowl -- Javaris Davis' interception set up a field goal, then Noah Igbinoghene's kick return score put the Tigers up 10-3. But eventually Minnesota's offense, brilliant for most of 2019, won out. Mohamed Ibrahim and Rodney Smith combined for 209 rushing yards, and Tyler Johnson, in his final collegiate game, put Minnesota up with a 73-yard score early in the fourth quarter. The Gophers iced their 11th win by running out the final 8:38 of the game playing keep-away.

Also listed in the top 100

69. Minnesota 38, Fresno State 35 (Sept. 7)
68. Minnesota 35, Georgia Southern 32 (Sept. 14)

Minnesota would eventually make a run at a Big Ten West title and top-10 finish, but first, the slow-starting Gophers had to survive a run of upset bids. After edging South Dakota State in the season opener, they found themselves in firefights with both Fresno State and Georgia Southern.

In Fresno, California, they sent the game to overtime with a 20-yard score by Chris Autman-Bell in the final minute of regulation and won on a 37-yard field goal by Michael Lantz and an end zone interception by Antoine Winfield Jr. Back home against Georgia Southern, the Gophers watched an early 21-10 lead fall by the wayside. Rashad Byrd gave the Eagles a 32-28 lead with a 44-yard fumble return with 3:47 left, but Minnesota responded with a 13-play, 75-yard drive. Game MVP Tyler Johnson caught a 2-yard pass from Tanner Morgan with 13 seconds left, and Minnesota held on.

Top Bottom