Ernie Wheelwright turns traitor faster then he dropped TD passes....

Written like the typical never-earned-a-thing-in-his-life Edina brat he is.

Lol. I paid for my college, I earned my way into the business school, I earned my current job, and I earned my way into the Carlson School of Management MBA program. I work plenty hard.

C'mon, you can't expect him to root against his own brother. I totally get the point about him being loyal to his family over his alma mater, I just think he could have phrased it much more diplomatically (grammar aside)

That's why I had suggestion two. Keep loyal to Minnesota but cheer for Wisconsin because of your brother.

People need to relax. Ernie was probably excited that his little brother just agreed to an offer with a team coming off of back-to-back Rose Bowl appearances. I grew up hating Wisconsin and Iowa, I am willing to guess Ernie didn't. The difference between us: I grew up in Minnesota and he grew up in Ohio. I am guessing that Ernie didn't like Wisconsin, but didn't have the hatred towards them that a native Minnesotan has.

In college our biggest rival was Winona State, while I still can't stand them one of my former players (I am coach now) signed to play at Winona. I am happy that he has the chance to keep playing football, even though he turned down my former team.

People need to relax. Ernie was probably excited that his little brother just agreed to an offer with a team coming off of back-to-back Rose Bowl appearances. I grew up hating Wisconsin and Iowa, I am willing to guess Ernie didn't. The difference between us: I grew up in Minnesota and he grew up in Ohio. I am guessing that Ernie didn't like Wisconsin, but didn't have the hatred towards them that a native Minnesotan has.

In college our biggest rival was Winona State, while I still can't stand them one of my former players (I am coach now) signed to play at Winona. I am happy that he has the chance to keep playing football, even though he turned down my former team.

I think you are missing why most people are upset. It's not really even about Wisconsin. It's the "I'm no longer a Gopher" part, to translate his post to English.

I think you are missing why most people are upset. It's not really even about Wisconsin. It's the "I'm no longer a Gopher" part, to translate his post to English.

+1 If he's switching loyalties to Wisconsin, that's his choice. But if he renounces his team, he shouldn't be surprised if people turn their backs on him. All he has to do is make a clarification that he's not renounced the Gophers, but is just supporting his brother.

I have friends who played college football at WI and (better and cooler) friends who played football at the U. (JK about the better and cooler).

From what I gather from them, as for as the program as a whole, they have a ton of contempt towards eachother. They are still friends and obviously don't carry that contempt to personal level (usually), but there is always that tension. For the average fan, it's like having a sister who marries a Badger fan or a neighbor who is a Packer fan, it doesn't make you hate the Packers or Badgers any less. It just doesn't become a personal thing.

For what it's worth, I don't blame Wheelwright. I think he was talking a bit tongue-in-cheek, acknowledging that he was a Gopher but he will cheer for his family #1. It's reality. Ralph Sampson was sitting behind the Gophers bench when they played Virginia in basketball (even though he did not say who he was cheering for), but we all know he was cheering for his son.

I'm pretty sure its both, now. Nebraska vs. Kansas was longest consecutive until last year broke the streak.

No, Minnesota / Wisconsin was always the longest consecutively played rivalry. 1 (or 2?) games behind it was Kansas v Missouri, but that's going to end now that Missouri is in the SEC and both schools are too stupid to figure out a way to continue it.

Lol. I paid for my college, I earned my way into the business school, I earned my current job, and I earned my way into the Carlson School of Management MBA program. I work plenty hard.

Why not U of Wisc. Madison's school of business?

Just Curious

Ernie's claim-to-fame is dropping a fourth quarter pass against UVA that would've iced the win.

He dropped it (not out of character) and we lost.

Any Gopher that says "I'm a Badger" is, figuratively speaking, dead to me.

Before talking bad about one of the gopher great players y'all need to get your facts right! I don't think Ernie drop to many touchdown since he is # 2 on all time reciving touchdowns with the gophers! also mainly all the freshman records also second with most catches in a season with 63 who also avg 21 yards a catch as freshman y'all should pay homage that he even came to our school where he could went to Ohio state! Where he was the # 1 wide receiver coming out of Ohio!

Before talking bad about one of the gopher great players y'all need to get your facts right! I don't think Ernie drop to many touchdown since he is # 2 on all time reciving touchdowns with the gophers! also mainly all the freshman records also second with most catches in a season with 63 who also avg 21 yards a catch as freshman y'all should pay homage that he even came to our school where he could went to Ohio state! Where he was the # 1 wide receiver coming out of Ohio!

Commas-

The comma ( , ) is a punctuation mark that appears in several variants in various languages. It has the same shape as an apostrophe or single closing quotation mark in many typefaces, but it differs from them in being placed on the baseline of the text. Some typefaces render it as a small line, slightly curved or straight but inclined from the vertical, or with the appearance of a small, filled-in number 9.

The comma is used in many contexts and languages, mainly for separating parts of a sentence such as clauses, and items in lists, particularly when there are three or more items listed. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word comma comes directly from the Greek komma (κόμμα), which means something cut off or a short clause. A comma can also be used as a diacritic when combined with other characters.

your inability to articulate your argument aside, you're just plain wrong. any self-respecting fan base would and should turn on a player who re-aligns himself with another team, let alone a rival, after graduating. wheelwright had his moments here, but he was also given an awesome opportunity for a free ride to play a game on a very big stage - he was pretty privileged. shame on him for turning into an asshat.

where he could went to Ohio state! Where he was the # 1 wide receiver coming out of Ohio!

As a walk on?

"Wheelwright said then-Ohio State coach John Cooper also sent him some letters that year. But he didn't hear from the Buckeyes much after Cooper was fired and replaced by Jim Tressel the following season. Tressel won a national title in his second season in 2002.

"Coach Tressel had other things he wanted to do," said Wheelwright, who joins fullback Justin Valentine as the only players from Columbus on the Gophers. "He's a great coach. He came in and won a national championship. Everything happened for a reason. I came up to Minnesota. I felt like wherever I went was going to feel like home, even if it wasn't Ohio State."

your inability to articulate your argument aside, you're just plain wrong. any self-respecting fan base would and should turn on a player who re-aligns himself with another team, let alone a rival, after graduating. wheelwright had his moments here, but he was also given an awesome opportunity for a free ride to play a game on a very big stage - he was pretty privileged. shame on him for turning into an asshat.

I distinctly remember people being upset that Braylon Edwards was at the Michigan game in his blue and yellow and not supporting his lil bro with the Gophers.

Hi Ernie!

I distinctly remember people being upset that Braylon Edwards was at the Michigan game in his blue and yellow and not supporting his lil bro with the Gophers.

i think a lot of people were focused on the family all sporting michigan gear when the sole member of the family playing that day was a gopher. could be construed as weird. big brother staying true to his alma mater is anything but...

So apparently everyone is fine with a former Gopher player saying he is no longer a Gopher and is now a Badger fan because his brother is now a Badger. Also to say Wheelwright was a great Gopher player his last two seasons at the U most have some rather selective memory. He and Mason were not on the same page with Ernie's "talent" at the U.

This fanbase really does amaze me sometimes.....
I interpreted his post to mean his brother is no longer a gopher. I think grammatically he didn't do himself any favors conveying his point. Apparently a college education doesn't always translate to post graduation implementation

I would be more angry that the Gophers lost the brother of a former player to a hated rival than I would be at the former player for supporting his brother's new school. Wheelwrights writing style is very common (possibly even the norm) among Facebook users in his peer group (young athletes), and mocking it comes across as petty at best.

Nah, it should be mocked. It looks uneducated.

This post is a joke, right?

Once again you half gopher fans need more facts I played with Ernie Wheelwright, and he was a great guy and still is I follow him on Facebook. I'm sure any ex player or current player would been happy for a brother to get a full ride to a school like Wisconsin maybe if you guys was better fans and showed former players love like other school do instead of bashing him for supporting his family, his brother who caught the game winning touchdown on us would have been a gopher! Think about it

Instead of correcting my grammar, start focusing on the positive things he did in the Minnesota communities from inner city to help coach Dave Nelson out in Minnetonka. How about for some gopher support. how many of you give back?

Instead of correcting my grammar, start focusing on the positive things he did in the Minnesota communities from inner city to help coach Dave Nelson out in Minnetonka. How about for some gopher support. how many of you give back?

I don't think we'd be so focused on grammar if we hadn't paid for your 4-years of school at the U of M and now see you not being able to defend your point of view. Those of us that graduated likely paid most of their way through school without special grants or scholarships.

Part of the college experience is being an alumni and backing your Alma mater. That means always talking up and supporting that school. We respect the fact that the U of M can't be all things to all people, but it is a very excellent school. We do see former players encouraging their brothers and sisters to attend, and if they don't....well, we still support our school. In your days, the Barbers and Thomas' did just that and we received the benefits. It's encouraging to know that people love the U of M as much as we do.

When someone runs down their Alma mater (especially after we tax-payers paid the bill), it doesn't sit well. In fact, it reflects poorly on yourself when you do that. It shows that you not only felt you made a poor personal choice, but you lacked the commitment necessary to make good out of a decision that you regretted. You know how we feel about Wisconsin and jumping on that bandwagon is the fan equivalent of being a traitor.

I certainly hope you take this in the manner in which it was meant - not caustic or hateful. I just want you to know that there are few organizations that can compete with the University of Minnesota. I love the school, the fans, and being an Alumni.

Building off of Rescooter's post, nice to see Eric Decker show so much pride and gratitude in the U:

But Decker knows he wouldn't be catching NFL passes if it wasn't for his time with the University of Minnesota.

"Happy Glen Mason gave me the scholarship, because I don't think I'd be sitting in the position I am if it wasn't for him and playing for the Gophers," Decker said. "I probably would've been playing for St. John's, a Division III school, and who knows where I would be? But I love the University of Minnesota. I'll always be a proud Golden Gopher. Really excited about what Jerry Kill is doing with the squad and the year they've had this year, and Minnesota will always have a piece of my heart."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...cker-returns-home-with-struggling-jets-120314

Go Gophers!!

I don't think we'd be so focused on grammar if we hadn't paid for your 4-years of school at the U of M and now see you not being able to defend your point of view. Those of us that graduated likely paid most of their way through school without special grants or scholarships.

Part of the college experience is being an alumni and backing your Alma mater. That means always talking up and supporting that school. We respect the fact that the U of M can't be all things to all people, but it is a very excellent school. We do see former players encouraging their brothers and sisters to attend, and if they don't....well, we still support our school. In your days, the Barbers and Thomas' did just that and we received the benefits. It's encouraging to know that people love the U of M as much as we do.

When someone runs down their Alma mater (especially after we tax-payers paid the bill), it doesn't sit well. In fact, it reflects poorly on yourself when you do that. It shows that you not only felt you made a poor personal choice, but you lacked the commitment necessary to make good out of a decision that you regretted. You know how we feel about Wisconsin and jumping on that bandwagon is the fan equivalent of being a traitor.

I certainly hope you take this in the manner in which it was meant - not caustic or hateful. I just want you to know that there are few organizations that can compete with the University of Minnesota. I love the school, the fans, and being an Alumni.

Excellent post. You put all my thoughts into words, and said it much better than I could! You clearly got your U of MN education :).

Building off of Rescooter's post, nice to see Eric Decker show so much pride and gratitude in the U:

But Decker knows he wouldn't be catching NFL passes if it wasn't for his time with the University of Minnesota.

"Happy Glen Mason gave me the scholarship, because I don't think I'd be sitting in the position I am if it wasn't for him and playing for the Gophers," Decker said. "I probably would've been playing for St. John's, a Division III school, and who knows where I would be? But I love the University of Minnesota. I'll always be a proud Golden Gopher. Really excited about what Jerry Kill is doing with the squad and the year they've had this year, and Minnesota will always have a piece of my heart."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...cker-returns-home-with-struggling-jets-120314

Go Gophers!!

Love proud alumni like Decker. He, Tyrone Carter, Ben Utecht, Matt Spaeth, and so many more bleed maroon and gold and they have a true reach being so successful in football and in life. They all give back, and it's very well known.

Top Bottom