Eric Musselman

We have had plenty of those. Now that you think that Pitino has done it right with the last two classes, do you think that he will build a actual successful contender here ?

I don’t know if he will be here long enough now. His past mistakes may be too much to overcome. I do think he could though yes.

Do you have any concerns with how inefficient the offense and defense has been throughout ? Pretty sure the base is disgusted by the won loss record, but what about how we play ? Would you say we have ever looked like a well coached team for more than a game or three in a stretch ? I am not giving up the ship, still think this team can be really good, actually expect them to be. Wondered what your take was.

Do you have any concerns with how inefficient the offense and defense has been throughout ? Pretty sure the base is disgusted by the won loss record, but what about how we play ? Would you say we have ever looked like a well coached team for more than a game or three in a stretch ? I am not giving up the ship, still think this team can be really good, actually expect them to be. Wondered what your take was.

I thought we’ve had moments. I thought we were well coached last year for the pieces we had and especially considering the deficiencies we had. Need to improve our defense first, offensively I’m a little more liberal with what I expect. Just hate mid ranges and ISO’s, but understand that it can create an efficient shot if your player is that good. Defensively I’ve felt we’ve been a mess for awhile

Thanks. I have seen moments as well but do not see or hear anything that says we are known as a well coached team.

Ok, I'll bite, why would Mussleman not be needed?
Yes well I am not saying Mussleman would be the worst hire, I just feel like there are better fits. My number one reason for this is that I don't like the idea of him coaching in his dad's footsteps at the U. Yes it is a subjective call, but I just feel like a hinderance is created in the trajectory upwards when this is the case, just my opinion. Hard to explain, but just makes sense to me. Also he has jumped around a lot at this point, and he is rather similar to Hoiberg in how he sets up a team, which isn't the worst thing, but not my ideal style. I say go for Smith and don't look back, but Mussleman would be a solid 5th or 6th option or so, depending on how realistic you are being at the top of your list.

Thanks. I have seen moments as well but do not see or hear anything that says we are known as a well coached team.

You are not wrong at all. I admittedly get caught on potential and am aware. I think he does better and is better than most think, but he’s not elite by any means yet

I think Richard Pitino can coach his teams he puts on the floor. What he is not good at is roster construction. Then you compound that with injuries or suspensions and he’s often playing teams with better talent.
He does not value shooters.
He recruits too many guys who are tall athletes that he thinks will develop into offensive contributors....doesn’t happen and we can’t score.
He recruits too many guys who do not have scorers mentality. Hurt and Stull for glaring examples.
He needs somebody else to put the roster together and we would win very often. (Not happening)
Players do get better more often than they don’t.
We rarely get blown out. He can coach. Just not sure he can overcome his evaluation flaws and roster construction decisions.

Reactions: sal

Random thought here and am directing this at people more closely connected to the team. Some people say the recruiting is improving with newer assistants trying to stay closer to here rather than east coast. This current team has potential to be average or better and next year has talent coming in.

The question I'm asking is if he is making improvements, can this be comparable to bringing in someone new to start over? Basically a reset with a coach in his 7th year here? Can he put the U in the same position as a new coach would next year and beyond?

Random thought here and am directing this at people more closely connected to the team. Some people say the recruiting is improving with newer assistants trying to stay closer to here rather than east coast. This current team has potential to be average or better and next year has talent coming in.

The question I'm asking is if he is making improvements, can this be comparable to bringing in someone new to start over? Basically a reset with a coach in his 7th year here? Can he put the U in the same position as a new coach would next year and beyond?
Depends who it is. Just like in any profession some are simply better at it. Some doctors are better than others, some lawyers are better than others, some pilots,snipers, teachers and on and on. Few are great. Each program is lucky if you get one great one in your lifetime. You can tell early too as you see it you know it. Supported by historical data winning something special by year 6, either a conference title or a trip to the final 4, they build a culture starting on day one. They have something special about them.

Ihnen and Williams look like they have potential, but neither will be difference makers. Greenlee and Freeman are hardly playing. Not sure that’s building it right.

I like all four down the road, I think they are all going to contribute.

Last year’s success bought Pitino another two years.
The AD knew we would take a step back this year...especially after Coffey left.

2020-21 is the next make or break year for Pitino.

I think there is enough evidence to justify getting rid of Pitino After the 2017–18 season, Coyle brought him back. I’m guessing Coyle likes and believes in Pitino or he wouldn’t have brought him back for 2018-19. After 2018-19 I don’t think Pitino has to worry until after 20-21

I dont know... do you think we can at least give Coach Pitino 7 games this year before we replace him? Or do we need to do it before then. What do you think Built?

This would be accurate if we were on the Louisville board rather than the Gopherhole.
Rick Pitino didn't bring shame to UMN like Bill Musselman did.
Personally, I'd take Ryan Saunders or Bickerstaff before Musselman.

What about Dick Garmaker?

I dont know... do you think we can at least give Coach Pitino 7 games this year before we replace him? Or do we need to do it before then. What do you think Built?
The purpose of a mid-season coaching change is to get the toxicity out of the fan base and get a head start on the hiring process. It should be done once it's clear there's no recovering. When we fired Monson around this time, it was obvious. We're not close to that this year. But our next 5 games are all power 6 teams. If we go 0-5...

For those that don't want to click the article, Musselman got a commit over the weekend from in-state 4 star player Jaylin Williams. He's now landed the 43, 70, and 97th player in the country and they are all from Arkansas. He currently has the 8th ranked class in the country. Another in-state kid, KK Robinson is deciding between Arkansas and Kansas and will be announcing on Thanksgiving.

This would be somewhat similar to Garcia or Dainja, Walton, and Carlson or Madsen all signing with Pitino...and he did it in his first year which would have been Pitino's timeline for the Jones/Vaughn/Travis class.

For those that don't want to click the article, Musselman got a commit over the weekend from in-state 4 star player Jaylin Williams. He's now landed the 43, 70, and 97th player in the country and they are all from Arkansas. He currently has the 8th ranked class in the country. Another in-state kid, KK Robinson is deciding between Arkansas and Kansas and will be announcing on Thanksgiving.

This would be somewhat similar to Garcia or Dainja, Walton, and Carlson or Madsen all signing with Pitino...and he did it in his first year which would have been Pitino's timeline for the Jones/Vaughn/Travis class.
Do you believe he would’ve taken the MN job over Arkansas? Great class it seems regardless

Actually it's not really all that comparable. Musselman is doing a great job no doubt but the recruits he landed outside of Moses Moody are not receiving offers in the same zip code as Garcia, Walton and Dainja.

Musselman has landed:

- Moses Moody: 4*, best player in Arkansas 2020 class, admittedly has offers from Michigan and Kansas among others.

- Jaylin Williams 4*, undersized center, has decent offers from Auburn, Illinois, TCU etc.

- Davontae Davis 4*, best offer is from Oregon.

Garcia was getting recruited by Kansas, Indiana, Arizona, Memphis, UNC. Kerwin Walton is currently being recruited by UNC, Arizona, and us. Dain Dainja was getting recruited by Louisville, Georgetown, and Baylor.

So don't act like Musselman just signed Garcia, Walton, and Madsen. He didn't. Not to say he didn't get some decent players, but I'd make the case that Martice Mitchell and Mashburn Jr. are comparable to the players in Musselman's 2020 class.

The purpose of a mid-season coaching change is to get the toxicity out of the fan base and get a head start on the hiring process. It should be done once it's clear there's no recovering. When we fired Monson around this time, it was obvious. We're not close to that this year. But our next 5 games are all power 6 teams. If we go 0-5...
There are a bunch of fans that are toxic to the program, recruiting, and the fanbase in general. I could get on board with a mid-season change if we could get a written commitment from the toxic fans that they would permanently change their support to Wisky or Iowa... [Man... talk about a "win-win" situation right there]

Last edited:

There are a bunch of fans that are toxic to the program, recruiting, and the fanbase in general. I could get on board with a mid-season change if we could get a written commitment from the toxic fans that they would permanently change their support to Wisky or Iowa... [Man... talk about a "win-win" situation right there]
No doubt about it, the same fans that are yelling for a change now, would be right back on here whining in a year or two that it wasn't really the guy they wanted. Complainers are always going to complain.
This job is not easy and a small part of the reason is that fans around here bail so quickly and the coach is on the hot seat in year two or three before there is any momentum.

No doubt about it, the same fans that are yelling for a change now, would be right back on here whining in a year or two that it wasn't really the guy they wanted. Complainers are always going to complain.
This job is not easy and a small part of the reason is that fans around here bail so quickly and the coach is on the hot seat in year two or three before there is any momentum.
Not all are in whine mode after 2-3 years. They have every right to be unhappy after 6 years of never coming close to contending in the conference. This is a tough job but a really good one and other coaches have turned mediocre into elite.

Not all are in whine mode after 2-3 years. They have every right to be unhappy after 6 years of never coming close to contending in the conference. This is a tough job but a really good one and other coaches have turned mediocre into elite.

You toxic fans are discontent after a bad half of basketball. 2-3 years actually sounds kind of dreamy.

You toxic fans are discontent after a bad half of basketball. 2-3 years actually sounds kind of dreamy.
What are you talking about ! I am all in on the team we are putting on the floor and have never once complained at halftime.

What are you talking about ! I am all in on the team we are putting on the floor and have never once complained at halftime.

I am perfectly happy to let all the toxic fans "self-include" on my last statement including you Built. You can decide if you fit in this category.

Ya'll were the same ones last year that were vocal after a loss and disappeared after a win. It is the same ones that are secretly mad that Fleck is doing so well after they made fun of him and are now heart broken that they need to put on a fake smile on gameday and pretend they are enjoying the good times. The same ones that come on here and wax philosophic about how to do it right as if the U had just listened to them we would win every basketball game. Have perfect 20/20 vision about every decision that the AD and coach make and can easily suggest (with the benefit of hindsight) the best coach to hire, player to recruit, or gameplan to make. The ones that start out a post "Not a good win" or "[insert 5 star recruit] I would never come to Minnesota" or "we don't have much of a chance". The ones who make encourage the local kids to consider their options outside the hometown team. You know.. the grumpy old men types that would have very little to do in life except complain. In other words, the "Patrick Reusse" type. You guys can decide if you fit in this category.

Said Fleck was a great hire from day one and never wavered. I for certain do not have the ability to make decisions that would win every basketball and do not expect any coach to do that. Said from day one and with some experience and insight that Teague was a moron and had no clue how to go about the search and hire for a true builder. More than half a lifetime representing coaches and then scouting there is a method that gets a power 6 school closer to the top prospect on the list. Fans have every right to be disgusted by 40-70, never contending in the conference etc.. Fans have very little too zero influence on a recruits decision. These kids are savvy . They see what is going on and have plugged in advisors, plus talk to each other. They talked to coaches all over and come away more impressed by whoever , often times someone other than Pitino. Some find this the place to be. Find those kids and build a big winner or you will not have done what you were hired to do. With all that said i love the team being put on the floor right now and will support them with every game.

People have given Pitino plenty of time. The "success" of last year included another losing conference record and losses to Boston College, Rutgers, and a Nebraska team that was in much worse shape than Pitino's team the prior year. Last year certainly didn't buy Pitino two more years.

The talking point of losing Amir Coffey has to stop. It's ridiculous. This is college basketball in the year 2019 and this is the first player Pitino has had leave early for the draft. Iowa (Cook) and Iowa State (Wigginton) both lost players to the draft this year too. Tony Carr was arguably a better player than Coffey and he left Penn State after his Sophomore year. If your program has any sort of a pulse, you are going to lose some kids before they've exhausted their eligibility. If you aren't prepared to lose an Amir Coffey after his Junior season, you aren't prepared to coach high major basketball.

It's not unreasonable to expect there not to be a need for a big step back after a 9-11 conference season when you are in year 7 at a job unless you are coaching Northwestern, Rutgers, or Nebraska. This program is also not "rebuilding" as nothing has been built yet.

People have given Pitino plenty of time. The "success" of last year included another losing conference record and losses to Boston College, Rutgers, and a Nebraska team that was in much worse shape than Pitino's team the prior year. Last year certainly didn't buy Pitino two more years.

Nebraska loss wasrior to their wheels falling off if I remember correctly. Also Rutgers wasn't terrible. Athletes who play hard and are coached pretty well.

The talking point of losing Amir Coffey has to stop. It's ridiculous. This is college basketball in the year 2019 and this is the first player Pitino has had leave early for the draft. Iowa (Cook) and Iowa State (Wigginton) both lost players to the draft this year too. Tony Carr was arguably a better player than Coffey and he left Penn State after his Sophomore year. If your program has any sort of a pulse, you are going to lose some kids before they've exhausted their eligibility. If you aren't prepared to lose an Amir Coffey after his Junior season, you aren't prepared to coach high major basketball.

It's not unreasonable to expect there not to be a need for a big step back after a 9-11 conference season when you are in year 7 at a job unless you are coaching Northwestern, Rutgers, or Nebraska. This program is also not "rebuilding" as nothing has been built yet.

Agree Coffey was very good, but his early departure shouldn't mean we have a losing season. I still think this team can be good as well.

Top Bottom