Eric Decker Drafted by Twins

Honyocker

Gophers-In Good or Bad Times
Reaction score
The MN Twins took Senior center fielder Eric Decker in the 27th round of the MLB draft today. So they took two Gophers, Decker and Junior second baseman Derek McCallum in the 4th.

How long do they have to sign him or lose his rights. I am wondering if he can sign after the football season and bowl game is over?

Good point. I also wonder what a good football season would do to his NFL draft status. Basically, he probably isn't a slam dunk sure thing in either pro sport but has potential in both of them. He will have some interesting choices to make.

They have until Aug. 15th to sign him, at which point he would have to go into the draft again next year.

not much time.

They have until Aug. 15th to sign him, at which point he would have to go into the draft again next year.

Did they change that rule? in the old days you could sign college kids until the next draft.

But the rules allow him to play professional baseball and college football. I assume the Twins (and prospective NFL teams) would want to know his intentions by next spring, though.

Did they change that rule? in the old days you could sign college kids until the next draft.

Yes. This was changed in 2007.

But the rules allow him to play professional baseball and college football. I assume the Twins (and prospective NFL teams) would want to know his intentions by next spring, though.

You are correct on the first point. However, I will reiterate, regardless of what the Twins want, they need to sign him by Aug. 15 or they will lose his rights. They could re-draft him in 2010, so long as he gives his consent.

How long do they have to sign him or lose his rights. I am wondering if he can sign after the football season and bowl game is over?

I can't imagine that he would get much of a signing bonus being drafted in the 27th round. Doubt he'll sign.

Don’t want to re-hash the prior threads on this subject at length, but the Twins could sign him and still let him play college football in the fall. I’d like to think that the Twins would be more likely to do that than some other team. If they really want him to give up football, I’d guess that they would have to be willing to overpay him (compared to other 27th rounders). Saw in Rittenberg’s blog that he thinks that #7 will play football in the fall and then pursue a career in baseball.

If Eric was going to play baseball only next year professionally, he would of been taken in rounds 8-15. The Twins had a scout at almost every Gopher game and they have a very good idea what Eric wants to do next year and it's a big sign that he was drafted in the 27th round. I would say the odds of him playing football for the Gophers just went up dramatically. I would bet he signs with the Twins but with the understanding he will play football.

If Eric was going to play baseball only next year professionally, he would of been taken in rounds 8-15. The Twins had a scout at almost every Gopher game and they have a very good idea what Eric wants to do next year and it's a big sign that he was drafted in the 27th round. I would say the odds of him playing football for the Gophers just went up dramatically. I would bet he signs with the Twins but with the understanding he will play football.

"The understanding he will play football." Do you mean this summer? And if so, is he obligated to skip the NFL draft. I just wondering his scenario, for instance.

Can he sign with the Twins. Play baseball this summer. Come back and play football this fall. Go to winter ball/minor league spring training with Twins. Enter NFL draft. Weigh his draft w/ playing baseball and make a decision.

Or once he signs with the Twins this summer, are you saying he is done with the NFL draft next year?

I'm just curious because I would guess his 3rd round NFL money would be more than Twins money but I could be wrong about that.

Can he sign with the Twins. Play baseball this summer. Come back and play football this fall. Go to winter ball/minor league spring training with Twins. Enter NFL draft. Weigh his draft w/ playing baseball and make a decision...

the answer to all of your questions is...'yes'...:D:D:D

not that is really matters, but they have til Aug 17th this year, the 15th is a Saturday and MLB gave them til that Monday

Top Bottom