Epilepsy Question

4four4

Reaction score
I am not 100% educated with the symptons or the triggers of epilepsy. Obviously, on Saturday Coach Kill had a seizure, is it possible he could have been stressed out with his daughter going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester? Could it have triggered a seizure? More importantly good luck and god bless his daughter. We hope you had good news.

From what I've read, other than issues that arise from drug (prescription or illegal) or alcohol use, one of the most common triggers for a seizure is a lack of sleep. I'm guessing that a college coach doesn't get 8+ hours each night.

From what I've read, other than issues that arise from drug (prescription or illegal) or alcohol use, one of the most common triggers for a seizure is a lack of sleep. I'm guessing that a college coach doesn't get 8+ hours each night.

I heard him speak once and a question was asked how he celebrates victory. He mentioned that he cannot drink any alcohol anymore so he usually celebrates by having a bowl of ice cream and watching college football on his recliner. I know he said that tongue in cheek, but I would rule out the alcohol. I am sure he is on a variety of drugs, but the sleep is interesting.

Lots of triggers for epilepsy. Can be anything from stressful environments/times, lack of sleep, stress, too much caffiene, certain types of lights flashing, alcohol and other drugs, and certain other types of stimuli. The basic way an epileptic attack works (and I don't know what type of seizures Kill has, whether they be complex or simple, partial or generalized,) is that the brain responds to one of those triggers and causes a synchronized firing. This basically incapacitates the brain. Often times you never even see it coming. So it might be hard for Coach to try to figure out exactly what caused it, but obviously he is under a lot of the different triggers all the time.

If sleep triggers it can he control that?

AJ Barker's public tirade could've contributed to a stress overload with all the other things going on.

I've worked with several epileptic individuals. One interesting case is someone that I worked with who had never had a seizure... what likely triggered it was: a.) lack of sleep; b.) a new medication, which lowered the threshhold for a seizure. Everyone is different - you can't really make assumptions. You'd have to think his medical team has looked into all possibilites, and tried to assess what contribution each factor could have. If I had to guess in Kill's case - and this is moslty conjecture - it is stress related, and sleep, given the demanding schedules of a coach, could be factors. When they test for epilepsy, they often want you to be sleep deprived as part of the testing process... which, I assume means it is a common trigger. In fact, the sleep deprivation is what allowed the above referenced individual to be diagnosed.

I've worked with several epileptic individuals. One interesting case is someone that I worked with who had never had a seizure... what likely triggered it was: a.) lack of sleep; b.) a new medication, which lowered the threshhold for a seizure. Everyone is different - you can't really make assumptions. You'd have to think his medical team has looked into all possibilites, and tried to assess what contribution each factor could have. If I had to guess in Kill's case - and this is moslty conjecture - it is stress related, and sleep, given the demanding schedules of a coach, could be factors. When they test for epilepsy, they often want you to be sleep deprived as part of the testing process... which, I assume means it is a common trigger. In fact, the sleep deprivation is what allowed the above referenced individual to be diagnosed.

I was thinking sleep study when 4four4 asked about sleep being controlled. Not sure if sleep apnea is involved but a sleep study could see what is going on while he's sleeping((Captain Obvious speaking)).

Top Bottom