Enlisting your ideas for Gopher Marketing...

O.K. a few more during lunch...

As I mentioned earlier regarding vouchers for game's not sold out. Have $10 vouchers sent to the Boys and Girls clubs in the Urban neighborhoods. Most of my ideas have been designed at energizing the younger demographic which I think is what they need to ramp up and will have the greatest effect on the program in the long term.

Again, voucher idea for games not sold out but this time last minute $10 or $20 offer via Facebook fan page. Link to the gopher ticket webpage at Gophersports.com to take advantage of this "last minute offer". "Check us out through out the non-conference season for similar last minute offers." Kinda like the "Groupon" thing.

Get a player to be a weekly guest on one the morning radio shows on Thursdays to discuss Tuesday's game and the upcoming weekend game. Keeps the team on the forefront of the listener's mind. Shoot have two on two different shows. Blake on 93x during Randy Shaver's segment and Ralph/Trevor/or Colton with PA/Mike Morris/ or Barreiro. This way your getting two totally different demographics.

Book the players and coaches on Rosen's Sports Sunday and Sports Wrap with Joe Schmidt.

Have a student ambassador from the Frats/Sororities organize pre-game parties at local bars.

For non-conference games it sure is. There were 2,500 empty seats per game and each person spends on average of $50 ($35 for tix and $15 concessions) = $125,000 in lost revenue per game.

Why a "Gold Out"?

Why not a "maroon out"? Pasty white Scandinavian and German descended Minnesotans look pale and sickly in gold (really yellow anyway), particularly in the winter during which basketball season happens to fall. Maroon looks good on everyone and it's a warmer color in winter. Let's go Maroon!

It is a simply game experience thing, but I would like them to relegate the cutesy little contests to half time (who else actually misses the subway super shoot out...seriously, it was good) where they belong. Have Dick J say, this time out sponsored by ____ and then let the band play. MPR style advertising!

Nothing worse than dropping $35 to get in the door, only to be bombarded with ads for 2 hours. We don't pay to be exposed to advertising.

Agreed agreed agreed. I was trying to figure out last season why the atmosphere just isn't quite where its been in the past and I came to the conclusion that the constant announcements and contests just kill the atmosphere going in to and out of time outs.

Back in the day (here we go...) I recall a number of timeouts due to the raucous nature of the crowd which were usually followed up by the Rouser which many times was played throughout the timeout so that everyone remained standing when the game started up again.

Now, everyone is standing up due to a big play and cheering loudly, the whistle blows for a timeout, everyone cheers even louder because the other team had to call a timeout, and then "Ladies and gentlemen the folks at Subway would like to thank you for their support." (crowd shuts up quickly and slowly sits down on their hands) "Here are two drunk frat boys with big cowboy hats racing on tricycles and competing for a fully-loaded footlong - enjoy!" (crowd begins to stare off into space)

$35 for tix and $15 concessions

That is the problem.

You're right but the cost isn't going to come down for regular tix. That's why I suggested to make up the gap, have discounted tix vouchers for H.S. B-ball teams and urban boys & girls clubs. Your original comment was that selling tix wasn't the problem. I beg to differ.

We dropped our season tickets this year for two reasons. Marketing can really only influence on of them.

1. Non-conference schedule. It's been bad for a while.
2. In-game promotions reducing atmosphere in Williams. Let the band play the Rouser more often and find a more creative way to make your $100 from Jax Cafe.

You're right but the cost isn't going to come down for regular tix. That's why I suggested to make up the gap, have discounted tix vouchers for H.S. B-ball teams and urban boys & girls clubs. Your original comment was that selling tix wasn't the problem. I beg to differ.

The product (non conference schedule) is the problem.

And the fact that there are only a relative few, mostly obstructed seats unsold for middlepolystateag U, ticket sales are just about as good as they will be regardless of the price of tickets.

The Timberwolves don't have a ticket sales or ticket price problem either.

The product (non conference schedule) is the problem.

Again your original statement was that selling tix isn't the problem. Can't change the schedule now, nor does marketing have any control. I'm just trying to suggest a few simple ideas than can help boost attendance and atmosphere for this years non-conference games and the "coolness" of the program for the younger/future generation. Your 1 line snarky comments pointing out the obvious issues that I'm sure they're fully aware of are not helping the problem. Sometimes you have to play the hand you were dealt...

Again your original statement was that selling tix isn't the problem. Can't change the schedule now, nor does marketing have any control. I'm just trying to suggest a few simple ideas than can help boost attendance and atmosphere for this years non-conference games and the "coolness" of the program for the younger/future generation. Your 1 line snarky comments pointing out the obvious issues that I'm sure they're fully aware of are not helping the problem. Sometimes you have to play the hand you were dealt...

Exactly! It's controlling the controllables. We can't change the schedule, build a practice facility, coach the team, recruit, etc...what we can do is try to give ideas to build a stronger fanbase - which I am very worried about if we don't have a good season. I don't want another repeat of a few years ago, I'd rather do things now, while there's interest, to build a loyal fanbase. And you do that by making your fans feel appreciated, have a good gameday experience, and have fun attending the game regardless of the outcome (because besides giving the best home court advantage, we don't have control over that either).

Good ideas, Kinta - and others!

Agreed agreed agreed. I was trying to figure out last season why the atmosphere just isn't quite where its been in the past and I came to the conclusion that the constant announcements and contests just kill the atmosphere going in to and out of time outs.

Back in the day (here we go...) I recall a number of timeouts due to the raucous nature of the crowd which were usually followed up by the Rouser which many times was played throughout the timeout so that everyone remained standing when the game started up again.

Now, everyone is standing up due to a big play and cheering loudly, the whistle blows for a timeout, everyone cheers even louder because the other team had to call a timeout, and then "Ladies and gentlemen the folks at Subway would like to thank you for their support." (crowd shuts up quickly and slowly sits down on their hands) "Here are two drunk frat boys with big cowboy hats racing on tricycles and competing for a fully-loaded footlong - enjoy!" (crowd begins to stare off into space)

BINGO
If I want to go to a game and experience canned music, endless ads, flashing scoreboards, stupid promos and people wanting to be seen I can go to a pro sport event. The college game should be just the opposite.

It's often hard to create atmosphere, but very easy to destroy it.

BINGO
If I want to go to a game and experience canned music, endless ads, flashing scoreboards, stupid promos and people wanting to be seen I can go to a pro sport event. The college game should be just the opposite.

It's often hard to create atmosphere, but very easy to destroy it.

Station - I think you give away your age. I agree 100%. I consider it an insult when the 'promoters of constant stimulus' attempt to keep my attention w/ gimmicks. It's as if they don't appreciate that we are capable of contemplating THE CONTEST and anticipating and discussing amongst ourselves what has and is about to happen.

I believe that attention spans are getting shorter with each generation and that reflection is boring.

HA! If you think that is snark...

Anyways, time to move beyond the annoying personal attacks...

If they want to sell tickets to middlestatetech, charge less. It'll make more money than empty seat.

Top Bottom