Enjoying Gopher Basketball

Iowa State only was a temporary "bottom feeder" program. ISU has made 10 NCAA tournaments within the last 20 years and will make it 11 this season.

Yeah, ISU's coach did a great job in immediately taking a team that had a horrible year and making them a winner again. That's why people wrote articles about him. People don't write articles about coaches who fail to do that but I would guess there are significantly more of them than there are coaches like Iowa State's.
TJ is now the standard for turning around a program in the portal era.

Reminds me of the '91 Twins, technically accurate but not really complete, as "worst to first," from the previous season. Yes, they were in last place, but had a solid core of players that had made up very competitive teams in the immediate prior years, recovered some injuries and upgraded the line-up in crucial ways. It wasn't a magical turnaround like the phrase suggests, even though they were in last place the year before.

Iowa State only was a temporary "bottom feeder" program. ISU has made 10 NCAA tournaments within the last 20 years and will make it 11 this season.

Yeah, ISU's coach did a great job in immediately taking a team that had a horrible year and making them a winner again. That's why people wrote articles about him. People don't write articles about coaches who fail to do that but I would guess there are significantly more of them than there are coaches like Iowa State's.
Rockchalk gave a specific example of a new HC turning a program around. Your response? Inferring that he is the extreme exception and Ben's first three years is the normal situation for a new HC. BS!! If that is true, give us examples of the numerous new HC's who have been absolute dumpster fires like Ben has been since he took over. I personally expect somewhere in the middle. D1 HC's who take over for a fired HC should have at least some success if not year one then by year 2. If not they should be trashed just like Ben is on GH daily. I want Ben to succeed but I will not sing his praises until he deserves it. He (and the team) seem(s) to be doing better/making some progress. This jury is still out. Hoping for a great outcome. Ben does not need disingenuous apologists in his corner. Be truthful and honest regarding his performance since the day he was hired.

TJ is now the standard for turning around a program in the portal era.

Reminds me of the '91 Twins, technically accurate but not really complete, as "worst to first," from the previous season. Yes, they were in last place, but had a solid core of players that had made up very competitive teams in the immediate prior years, recovered some injuries and upgraded the line-up in crucial ways. It wasn't a magical turnaround like the phrase suggests, even though they were in last place the year before.
Sorry to stray off topic, but the 1990 team was weird: everything that could go wrong did go wrong. They lost a game 11-10 where every run they gave up was unearned. They turned two triple plays in the same game and lost. Obviously adding Chili and Jack put them over the top the following year, but the baseball gods smiled on them and their luck evened out, too.

I guess the basketball parallel is what's going on with Musselman in Arkansas this year. Everything that can go wrong is going wrong. Time for someone to buy low on Muss.

Hi - long time listener, first time caller

Hilarious that this thread began as someone simply stating they've enjoyed the season so far and has now divulged into debates about CBJ and climate change. Because of course.
Welcome. Just wait. Hitler and Trump haven't even made it into the conversation yet.

Hi - long time listener, first time caller

Hilarious that this thread began as someone simply stating they've enjoyed the season so far and has now divulged into debates about CBJ and climate change. Because of course.
Welcome! I’d like you to meet Ken and Lonnie. Help yourself to punch and cookies.

Climate is determined by weather over a long period of time, and it's not as along as 10s of thousands of years. Thanks again for proving how stupid you are.

Not only do you not know anything about basketball, you don't know anything about climate/weather and can't follow a simple conversation.
Thanks for the compliments. Coming from a puff adder moron child, it’s amusing.

You missed the point. He was left with a couple of players from the previous roster. Ben was left with one from the previous roster.

TJ can recruit. BJ can not. Pretty simple really.

Mashburn came to Minnesota for Pitino and followed him out the door. That's as absolutely sure as it gets. Robbins followed his uncle to Vandy. That's a pretty sure thing too.

Carr, Mashburn, and Robbins were the only three players on that team that you could even consider building something around. Would it have been nice to keep Gabe, Gach, and Brandon Johnson? Sure. But none of those guys would have moved the needle much.
Why didn’t Johnson have anyone that followed him here?

Not surprising....it was an attempt at positivity on the basketball forum and that is just not allowed to last for long.
Obviously because we're the new Northwestern and no matter where we finish we're the doormat of the conference.

Rockchalk gave a specific example of a new HC turning a program around. Your response? Inferring that he is the extreme exception and Ben's first three years is the normal situation for a new HC. BS!!

I didn't say that, pinhead! I did say that the Iowa State coach's performance was exceptional but I didn't say that the Gopher's performance the last two years was the norm. Go back and reread what I actually wrote!

Apparently you're another poster on this board who only is capable of black or white thinking.

I didn't say that, pinhead! I did say that the Iowa State coach's performance was exceptional but I didn't say that the Gopher's performance the last two years was the norm. Go back and reread what I actually wrote!

Apparently you're another poster on this board who only is capable of black or white thinking.
Easy now. We are all friends here at the Gopher Hole. Just differing opinions is all.

You've reminded us on multiple occasions that we haven't won anything for 30 years, wouldn't that make us doormats?
It obviously only started the last 2 years. Before that we were at the top and definitely didn't finish 13th.

It obviously only started the last 2 years. Before that we were at the top and definitely didn't finish 13th.
When's the last time we finished last place in conference 2 consecutive seasons? Has that happened in the last 30 years? Is 13th worse than 14th?

When's the last time we finished last place in conference 2 consecutive seasons? Has that happened in the last 30 years? Is 13th worse than 14th?
In my opinion it's splitting hairs between 13th-14th. They both suck. Pitino's 2 win team finished 13th because Rutgers was the worst team in the history of the B1G (which we lost to).

To act like the program in the current year has taken some gigantic step back from where we were is disingenuous at best. That's my biggest issue. Haven’t won constinently with a coach without scandal or cheating ever. If the team collapses down the stretch fire the coach and start again. If they don't give him another year to continue to build the program.

Last edited:

What is collapse and why?

Should double-digit losses to NW and Purdue count as collapse?

What is collapse and why?

Should double-digit losses to NW and Purdue count as collapse?
Winning 2 games the last 1.5 months would be a collapse for example. I don't think 1 game results count as a collapse in any scenario.

Think most here assume we’ll win more than two, BT tournament included.

So, seems like a “I’ll know it when I see it” thing.

Top Bottom