End of year 4 (3)

Yeah, I posted in it.

does the timeout thing bother you to the point where we should change coaches?

The TO thing bothers me at the time because I'm antsy. That said. I actually agree with PJ that his use of the TOs is actually a wiser use of TOs than conserving for them for the end of the game on the chance that we need them.

My biggest gripe with PJ is just the occasional bad call. I thought it was a no-brainer to go for 2 against Maryland. I thought we should have thought of our first drive in OT as almost 4 down territory. I'm not saying he should have went for it on 4th and 3 (I would have been OK with it if he had), but I wouldn't have called a screen pass on 3rd and 3. There are a handful of decisions like that where I scratch my head.

Noticed today that the uw game is counted in the standings as it should be. Think some thought the last week wouldn't count.

Every year my goal is the same: beat uw and finish ahead of uw in the standings. We almost did the second one with a big asterisk, but turns out that's not the case once again.
I think tOSU/NU game was the only game that didn't count in league standings. Other games did. At least that is what they showed during the game on B1G Network.

The TO thing bothers me at the time because I'm antsy. That said. I actually agree with PJ that his use of the TOs is actually a wiser use of TOs than conserving for them for the end of the game on the chance that we need them.

My biggest gripe with PJ is just the occasional bad call. I thought it was a no-brainer to go for 2 against Maryland. I thought we should have thought of our first drive in OT as almost 4 down territory. I'm not saying he should have went for it on 4th and 3 (I would have been OK with it if he had), but I wouldn't have called a screen pass on 3rd and 3. There are a handful of decisions like that where I scratch my head.
That and the worst run fake punt I’ve ever seen were the two worst coaching choices of the year

I thought the throw back pass to Witham was a beautiful call and it would have been a TD if Morgan didn’t under throw it.

The TO thing bothered me until he explained it so well a week ago. He really doesn't care about the TO's in the 1st half of games and will burn them to fix a bad situation. He then will coach them up at halftime on how to handle in the second half. 2nd half he tries to keep them for the end of the game if at all possible.

The TO thing bothered me until he explained it so well a week ago. He really doesn't care about the TO's in the 1st half of games and will burn them to fix a bad situation. He then will coach them up at halftime on how to handle in the second half. 2nd half he tries to keep them for the end of the game if at all possible.
I don’t even mind them in the second half if it’s to fix a bad X and O situation.

I do mind them in both half’s when it’s due to our own disorganization.

it is not a major stressor on my fandom

I thought the throw back pass to Witham was a beautiful call and it would have been a TD if Morgan didn’t under throw it.

Just a hair off

another what could've been!

haunts me in my dreams

just like goal line play vs Michigan on Halloween

After reading these comments you would think the Gophers offense finished near the bottom of the B1G. Nope, they finished 5th. And that was with a new OC, with a limited offseason, after losing the best WR in program history, losing the entire right side of the offensive line, and with Morgan having a 'bad' season. The last two games they were playing without 3 of their top 4 WRs from last season.

It was Kirk Ciarrocca's game plan in the Auburn game last season, not Matt Simon. Ciarrocca was hired by Penn St only 5 days before that game, and Simon left the game plan alone. Both Ciarrocca and Simon had been with Fleck his entire HC career, and if Fleck thought Simon was the right OC to replace Kirk, he would have hired him.

Defense was the issue all year, not offense. If the Gophers had last years defense against Wisconsin on Saturday, they may have pitched a shutout. That was the worst Wisconsin offense I've seen in a long time.

AMEN! Thank you for this.

There was no guarantee we would covert on going for two. Everyone talks like it was.

There was no guarantee we would covert on going for two. Everyone talks like it was.
I think people are ok with going for the win and being agressive in that way on the road. I see your point. It's like the people who want use to start throwing on 1st down more. If we don't complete the pass, the clock stops and we are sitting at 2nd and 10. Fleck likes to pull the off schedule play calls on 3rd and 4th down it seems.

I don't think anyone feels like it was a guarantee. My assessment was we had a better than 50-50 shot of winning the game right there and a less than 40% shot of winning if we played for the tie.

Matt Simon made the game plan for the Auburn bowl game. Anyone suggesting otherwise is just trolling.
He called the game, but do we know he made the game plan. Do you think they threw Kirk's plan out the window?

Yeah, I think it's a great play and I would have loved the call if we had a kicker I trusted. In that situation, I thought we had to do everything we could to get another first down.

Are we competitive game in and game out? YES

Are we recruiting people that have other P5 offers and getting them? YES

Do we have a chance to have a special year every 4 years? YES (if not more)

Are we going to win a national title in the next 3 years? NO

Will we have a top 10 recruiting class in the next 2? NO

I will be the first to admit I was disappointed with our team this year. However, we had the most amazing season of my life in PJ's time. We also are recruiting at the best level I have seen us ever recruit at. Plus, we are competitive even in a down year like this one.

Has PJ created a culture I am proud of and appreciate? YES

Am I more optimistic today than what I was prior to PJ getting here? YES and that my friends is what matters most.

He called the game, but do we know he made the game plan. Do you think they threw Kirk's plan out the window?
He was helping make the plans all year. He was passing game coordinator last year.

This year, wouldn’t be surprised if Sanford came in with a huge ego and wanted to do everything himself with no competition from Simon.

Top Bottom