End of the 1st Half

Ron Johnson Super Fan

Reaction score
Anyone else surprised we didn't use our timeouts and force Purdue to punt at the end of the first half on Saturday? IIRC Purdue had the ball 1st and something like 14 at their own 10 with 28 seconds left and took a knee. Unless I am mistaken we had all three timeouts left. I thought we would use all three timeouts to stop the clock and make them attempt a punt from their own endzone. You can send the house and go for the block and there is really no downside. Maybe you'll get a block or Purdue makes a bad snap. I was really surprised we didn't make them try a punt. It seemed like a no brainer to me.

Yes it was a really bad coaching decision. I think Brew was shocked at how poor his team was playing and was excited to go into half actually up. I really really like coach Brew and believe in him but he is learning on the job still. He is improving and I do think if given the time he will be the right man for the job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take a shot a Brew. I like Brew as well and support him. I was just very surprised that we let the clock run out and was wondering if there was something that I was missing.

Brew doesn't seem to eager to fling the ball at the end of the first half. I think he figures just as much bad can happen as good. I wish we were more agressive at these times, but it does look like a pattern.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said to myself right as it happened - I'm SURE SOME MORON IS GOING TO BE WHINING ABOUT THE END OF THE HALF!!!!!!

Why don't people PAY ATTENTION to what is going on before these ridiculous clock management posts?????? It only proves how TERRIBLE the average fan would be at clock management.

Purdue ran a first down play with 28 seconds left. The run went out to the 25 yard line. There was a holding penalty on Purdue. Either Brew must 1) decline the penalty, giving PU a first down at the 25 with still 28 seconds left, or 2) accept the penalty putting Purdue back to the 5.

I think the choice is obvious. You accept the penalty.

The problem is - the clock STARTS AS SOON AS THE BALL IS READY FOR PLAY. So Brew could have used his timeouts then, except he would have had to use one to stop the clock BEFORE the first down play, and then three more timeouts after each PU play just to force a punt. The problem is - YOU DON'T HAVE FOUR TIMEOUTS!!!!!!

He couldn't get the ball back unless he declined the holding penalty, which I hope I don't have to explain to anyone why this is a stupid decision. Even if he did decline the penalty, THE CLOCK RUNS BEFORE THE FIRST DOWN PLAY ANYWAY!!!!!! So no matter what, PU runs out the clock.

It just goes to prove that the average fan KNOWS SO VERY LITTLE about clock management. IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe we can't remember all the details from the game. It's why you ask the question. And why you look like a dick for getting soooo angry instead of adding to the discussion with your perspective. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said to myself right as it happened - I'm SURE SOME MORON IS GOING TO BE WHINING ABOUT THE END OF THE HALF!!!!!!

Why don't people PAY ATTENTION to what is going on before these ridiculous clock management posts?????? It only proves how TERRIBLE the average fan would be at clock management.

Purdue ran a first down play with 28 seconds left. The run went out to the 25 yard line. There was a holding penalty on Purdue. Either Brew must 1) decline the penalty, giving PU a first down at the 25 with still 28 seconds left, or 2) accept the penalty putting Purdue back to the 5.

I think the choice is obvious. You accept the penalty.

The problem is - the clock STARTS AS SOON AS THE BALL IS READY FOR PLAY. So Brew could have used his timeouts then, except he would have had to use one to stop the clock BEFORE the first down play, and then three more timeouts after each PU play just to force a punt. The problem is - YOU DON'T HAVE FOUR TIMEOUTS!!!!!!

He couldn't get the ball back unless he declined the holding penalty, which I hope I don't have to explain to anyone why this is a stupid decision. Even if he did decline the penalty, THE CLOCK RUNS BEFORE THE FIRST DOWN PLAY ANYWAY!!!!!! So no matter what, PU runs out the clock.

It just goes to prove that the average fan KNOWS SO VERY LITTLE about clock management. IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Chill out dude. I was asking if I missed something. Clearly I did, which you pointed out in an unnecessarily hostile manner. I'd like to point out what the tone of your response makes you but I'll leave the name calling to you.

Chill out dude. I was asking if I missed something. Clearly I did, which you pointed out in an unnecessarily hostile manner. I'd like to point out what the tone of your response makes you but I'll leave the name calling to you.

I don't have as much class as you, so I did it for you. I think Josh suffers from some sort of Bi-Polar disorder. good posts and then ruesse like this seemingly out of nowhere.

I apologize for the name calling. We are all fans here supporting a cause. I just get fired up when people use incorrect facts to support an opinion. Then 500 people read the post and all of a sudden it is popular opinion that Brew messed up and doesn't know what he's doing as a coach.

Was trying to set the facts straight - did it with poor taste.

I apologize for the name calling. We are all fans here supporting a cause. I just get fired up when people use incorrect facts to support an opinion. Then 500 people read the post and all of a sudden it is popular opinion that Brew messed up and doesn't know what he's doing as a coach.

Nice apology. well done and appreciated.

Josh,

Thanks for the apology. Since we've taken a tone of civility I was wondering if you could explain this further to me. I could swear that Purdue took the kneel down snap on 1st and 15 with 28 seconds left on the clock. Doesn't that leave Minnesota with three timeouts left to stop the clock after that kneel down play and the remaining 2nd and 3rd downs, leaving Purdue with 4th down and the clock stopped? I didn't DVR this game so I can't go back and watch and was wondering if you could flesh this out for me.

Purdue got the ball back with :34 seconds to play and on first down they ran the ball with Bolden for a gain of about 10. The clock would have continued to run since Bolden stayed in bounds except PU was called for holding. The clock stopped with :28 seconds left. Obviously they stop the clock when there is a penalty - but only momentarily. MN does not get a free timeout along with the holding call. Brew accepted the penalty so that Purdue was pushed back to the 5. But since he accepted the penalty it was still first down, since it is not a loss of down penalty like, for example, intentional grounding. Since Bolden stayed in bounds on the previous play, the game clock started once the play clock was set to :25 and when officials set the ball down on the new line of scrimmage. What you probably did was sensing a chance to get the ball back with the penalty - you looked at the clock when the penalty was called and saw :28 left. But then you didn't look back at it when the officials set the ball down and the clock wound on the ready to play. Then you assumed there were still :28 seconds left and were justifiably miffed when Brew didn't take a TO - as I would have also been had there still been :28 left. Now, Brewster could have declined the penalty and used a timeout - but it looked like Bolden either got, or was close to a first down on the run - so even if they declined the penalty Purdue may have had a first down anyway. When they were backed up to the 5 Purdue let most of the remaining :28 seconds roll off and then took a knee on first down.

Purdue got the ball back with :34 seconds to play and on first down they ran the ball with Bolden for a gain of about 10. The clock would have continued to run since Bolden stayed in bounds except PU was called for holding. Obviously they stop the clock when there is a penalty - but only momentarily. MN does not get a free timeout along with the holding call. Brew accepted the penalty so that Purdue was pushed back to the 5. But since he accepted the penalty it was still first down, since it is not a loss of down penalty like, for example, intentional grounding. Since Bolden stayed in bounds on the previous play, the game clock started once the play clock was set to :25 and when officials set the ball down on the new line of scrimmage. Now, Brewster could have declined the penalty and used a timeout - but it looked like Bolden either got, or was close to a first down on the run - so even if they declined the penalty Purdue may have had a first down anyway. When they were backed up to the 5 Purdue let most of the remaining :28 seconds roll off and then took a knee on first down.

For whatever reason, however, PU actually snapped on first down with about :13 seconds left. So, in theory, Brew could have called timeout with :12 seconds on 2nd down, which is when I'm sure people were thinking he could have done it (not with :28 left). PU would probably have been forced to run the ball (and potentially fumble) at least once, or kneel and maybe have to punt (maybe not either). The risk was likely not worth the reward as PU could have broken one for TD, too. But, it was something he could have done once PU very unwisely snapped the ball with :13 left instead of with :02 left which they could have done.

Again, I think Brew did the right thing, but it was not necessarily as cut and dried as you made it sound, particularly after you went to such an extreme to call someone out for not knowing the facts and claiming to be all-knowing. Again, in theory, Brew may have been able to force a punt or at least force them to risk a fumble. He didn't (I think the right decision) but there was an outside shot it could have been done. You suggested it would have been impossible. That wasn't necessarily the case. Just saying.

Fair - since Elliott inexplicably snapped it with :10 remaining, Brew could have put PU in basically the same situation that Pat Fitzgerald put us in at the end of the first half in the NW game.

Hope continues to baffle me with his use of timeouts, He called the terrible TO at the end of the ND game, and yesterday down 15 he saved a timeout for his offense late in the fourth quarter when they got the ball back right before the BPT pick. Everyone knows you use all of your TO's on defense. The offense can let :40 go off the play clock if they choose. When you're on offense you can get up to the line of scrimmage and either clock it or if you're really smart, have two plays called in the huddle and run another play. Clocking the ball takes about at most :15. Basically every timeout you "save" for your offense costs you about :25 seconds.

Fair - since Elliott inexplicably snapped it with :10 remaining, Brew could have put PU in basically the same situation that Pat Fitzgerald put us in at the end of the first half in the NW game.

No, he snapped it with :13 second left, the whistle blew with :12. It would have been slightly different than the NU game, as there were :02 left on 4th down for us. Brew, in essence, could have either:

1) forced PU to run the ball and risk a fumble, but never have to punt

OR

2) kneel on it on 2nd and 3rd downs, leaving probably :05 or :06 left on 4th down, and have to punt

2nd down snap at :12 or :11 (timeout #2 at :09 or :08)
3rd down snap at :09 or :08 (timeout #3 at :06 or :05)
4th down snap at :06 or :05 (punt)

Again, I would have done neither and think Brew did the right thing. It makes no difference to me. The only reason I went this far into detail is because you were so righteous in that first post, using ALL CAPS to yell at the OP about how stupid people were and how they weren't basing thoughts or opinions in fact. Well, I've laid the facts out and it appears the original question could at a minimum be discussed. And, it appears that you were the one who did not have all of the facts straight. No biggie, but, again, just saying.

I apologized for the original post and I admitted your point was fair. What more do you want?

Even if there was still :05 left the QB could easily roll out, take a couple seconds, then launch the ball 40 yards downfield to run out the clock. And :05 would be the absolute most that would be left on the clock. So you could also argue the situation was the same.

Top Bottom