End of Regular Season Bowl Projections Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score

The one that has them in New Mexico doesn't have a big ten team in the quick lane. I would think if we are eligible we'd have to go to one with big ten affiliation unless those are all full.

The one that has them in New Mexico doesn't have a big ten team in the quick lane. I would think if we are eligible we'd have to go to one with big ten affiliation unless those are all full.

This sounds like a decider... if true.

Saturday Blitz has Navy in the Hawaii Bowl - so no Minnesota
CBS (Palm) projects Quick Lane vs. Northern Illinois

there are - I believe - 8 bowls with formal B1G tie-ins. and that includes having 1 B1G team in the CFP.

there are 8 B1G teams with 6-6 records or better. MN with 5-7 would be the 9th B1G to play in a bowl.

so unless something odd happens, the Gophers would not take one of the regular B1G bowl slots. they would fill an opening in some other bowl game that needs a team for whatever reason.

there are - I believe - 8 bowls with formal B1G tie-ins. and that includes having 1 B1G team in the CFP.

there are 8 B1G teams with 6-6 records or better. MN with 5-7 would be the 9th B1G to play in a bowl.

so unless something odd happens, the Gophers would not take one of the regular B1G bowl slots. they would fill an opening in some other bowl game that needs a team for whatever reason.

The Big Ten will likely get one playoff team and two more in NY6 games between OSU, PSU, and Iowa (least likely). So counting Minnesota.....they should fill every Big Ten bowl.

The Big Ten will likely get one playoff team and two more in NY6 games between OSU, PSU, and Iowa (least likely). So counting Minnesota.....they should fill every Big Ten bowl.

but, if the B1G has a team in the Orange Bowl, then by contract they will not send a team to the ReliaQuest Bowl. so that eliminates one of the other Bowl slots.

I just spent some time re-reading the official B1G fact sheet on bowl game tie-ins. (It's riveting.....)
it still looks like 8 bowl games with slots for B1G Teams.

but, if the B1G has a team in the Orange Bowl, then by contract they will not send a team to the ReliaQuest Bowl. so that eliminates one of the other Bowl slots.

I just spent some time re-reading the official B1G fact sheet on bowl game tie-ins. (It's riveting.....)
Yup. This has been said elsewhere, but OSU and PSU are almost certainly in the NY6. If one is the Orange (HIGHLY likely to be OSU), the B1G loses Tampa and you’re left with 6 games (Citrus, Nashville, Vegas, Phoenix, NYC, and Detroit) for 6 teams (Iowa, Maryland, NW, Rutgers, Wisconsin, and MN).

Right. But the Orange Bowl is only one NY6 game. Chances are the Big Ten puts two teams in NY6 bowls....which would make for nine slots including the playoff.

ESPN
Schlabach predicts Quick Lane vs. Ohio
Bonagura says Guaranteed Rate vs. Iowa St, but that won’t happen for many reasons. He only predicts this b/c he has a B1G team in Tampa AND OSU in the Orange Bowl which is impossible.

They wouldn’t make a bowl game be a rematch of a regular season game I wouldn’t think, so playing Eastern Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl seems unlikely. Quick Lane seems like the most likely destination, I just don’t think it would be against Eastern Michigan. Guaranteed Rate maybe a possibility if an SEC team gets ranked head of Ohio State and doesn’t make the playoff, like maybe if Alabama blows out Georgia in the SEC Championship game, putting Bama in the playoff and bumping Georgia just outside the top 4? That would give a scenario where probably Ohio State and Penn State are both in the NY6, but not the Orange Bowl, because Georgia would get it ahead of Ohio State, so the Big Ten still gets the Reliaquest bid, and Minnesota moves up and out of the Quick Lane Bowl. Not sure how likely that is though.

How often do non-CFP bowl teams have a rematch with a regular season opponent? Seems like it’s in everyone’s interest to avoid that outcome.

How often do non-CFP bowl teams have a rematch with a regular season opponent? Seems like it’s in everyone’s interest to avoid that outcome.
Wikipedia says it last happened in the 2016 Heart of Dallas bowl, which featured North Texas and Army. Oddly enough, North Texas was a 5-7 APR selection.

Most prior to that, the 2012 Liberty Bowl was a rematch between Iowa State and Tulsa.

The Athletic also predicts Quick Lane vs. Northern Illinois.

Seems likely at this point unless one of the scenarios plays out above whereby the B1G regains the Reliaquest but keeps OSU and PSU in the NY6. That would probably put Minnesota in Nashville or Vegas much to the dismay of those bowl organizers, lol.

The Athletic also predicts Quick Lane vs. Northern Illinois.

Seems likely at this point unless one of the scenarios plays out above whereby the B1G regains the Reliaquest but keeps OSU and PSU in the NY6. That would probably put Minnesota in Nashville or Vegas much to the dismay of those bowl organizers, lol.
Nashville would be an amazing landing spot for us and our fans.

Top Bottom