End of Division I Sports as We Know It

More people over 100 years of age have died in the USA than those under age 30. Very scary for you?

I suspect that more people over 70 have died in the USA than those under 30. Is it your point that that is their problem and the young and healthy shouldn't be concerned if they increase the risk of elderly people dying. Seems a little callous to me.

I suspect that more people over 70 have died in the USA than those under 30. Is it your point that that is their problem and the young and healthy shouldn't be concerned if they increase the risk of elderly people dying. Seems a little callous to me.

Your first sentence is very strange. Regarding the rest, it is very important that people under 60 stay the hell away from those over 60, especially those with pre existing conditions. But what does that have to do with people under 60 returning to work? Close to nothing.

We are not talking about going back to work. We are talking about crowds at sporting events, where social distancing is virtually impossible, and the likelihood of asymptomatic infected persons spreading the virus to others is great. My first sentence tracts your comparison of deaths for those over 100 in caparison with those under 30. But the point is that risk of death for the elderly is much greater than the young and healthy. One report states that the overall death rate for
covid-19 is 2.3% overall, whereas it increases to 8% for those 70-79, and 14.8% for those over 80. Reducing contact between the young and the old is helpful, but cannot entirely compensate for the likely increased spread of the virus through large crowds at sporting events.

FWIW - fans on message boards will not be making these decisions.

In the current situation, the most power lies with the Governors. Walz said Friday that large-group activities like concerts and sporting events will be among the last things to return. He tied large-group events into the development of a vaccine - which is still months away at the best. (BTW -you can kiss the State Fair goodbye for this year....)

The Governor of California - which has multiple pro teams and D1 schools - has said he does not envision fans in the stands at games this year.

the B1G can say that it's going to play its schedule. The NFL can say it's going to play its schedule. But if the Governors and the Doctors say no fans in the stands, that is what is going to happen.

I will be happy if we get sports on TV by the fall. we'll have to live with watching games that have no fans in the stands.

No fans in the stands for football means no more of those silly crowds shots on TV. watching delirious Dukie or Irish fans made me wish for the abilityr to deliver a swift left-footed nutshot telepathically so it would be captured in TV. Never happened but I thought about it. however I am comforted by the memory of seeing those mournful Cornhusker fans and disbelieving Auburn suffering through a loss. OK I've been quarantined too long. The new normal when it occurs will be peace love and joy with plentiful Gopher victories for all.

FWIW - fans on message boards will not be making these decisions.

In the current situation, the most power lies with the Governors. Walz said Friday that large-group activities like concerts and sporting events will be among the last things to return. He tied large-group events into the development of a vaccine - which is still months away at the best. (BTW -you can kiss the State Fair goodbye for this year....)

The Governor of California - which has multiple pro teams and D1 schools - has said he does not envision fans in the stands at games this year.

the B1G can say that it's going to play its schedule. The NFL can say it's going to play its schedule. But if the Governors and the Doctors say no fans in the stands, that is what is going to happen.

I will be happy if we get sports on TV by the fall. we'll have to live with watching games that have no fans in the stands.

Granted. But fans can discuss what those decisions should be.

The prudent move is social (media) distancing. Distance yourself from those who relish in fear mongering. I trust that by next fall, school will be in session, as will college football.

Top Bottom