Empty Trophy Case... except BOBC

Triple D

Reaction score
Another year without the Jug, Floyd, The Axe....

Sigh

Anyone know the tally of Fleck’s record in Trophy Games.... I know it’s not good.

Paul Bunyan's Axe, vs Wisconsin, 1-3
Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 0-4
Little Brown Jug, vs Michigan, 0-2
Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 1-0
$5 Bits of Broken Chair, vs Nebraska, 3-1

It looks a lot like Mason, Brewster, Kill's record...nowhere near acceptable. It needs to start changing starting in 2021.

Just to compare
In Glen Mason's first four years (1997-2000)
  • Paul Bunyan's Axe, vs Wisconsin, 0-4
  • Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 3-1
  • Little Brown Jug, vs Michigan, 0-2
  • Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 2-2
  • $5 Bits of Broken Chair, vs Nebraska, NA
Brewster's four years (2007-2010)
  • Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 1-3 (One win by Jeff Horton)
  • Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 0-2 (One loss by Jeff Horton)
  • $5 Bits of Broken Chair, vs Nebraska, NA
In Jerry Kill's first four years (2011-2014)
  • Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 2-2
  • Little Brown Jug, vs Michigan, 1-3
  • Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 1-0
  • $5 Bits of Broken Chair, vs Nebraska, 2-2
So final tallies are really similar.
  • Mason's first four: 5-9
  • Brewster's four: 1-11*
  • Kill's first four: 6-11
  • Fleck's first four years: 5-10

Last edited:

I wish the Gophers took the trophy games more seriously. It seems like the axe means more to Wisconsin and the pig means more to Iowa.

I wish the Gophers took the trophy games more seriously. It seems like the axe means more to Wisconsin and the pig means more to Iowa.
Appears to be true from the play calling. We punt from their 37 and they go for it. We run out the clock and they take timeouts to force a punt. We kick extra points in overtime and they go for two.

$5 Bits of Broken Chair, vs Nebraska, 3-1
Record against non rivals compared to predecessors?

Oh just give everyone a participation medal. Hell, give yourself one.
get out some construction paper, cut out a star shape, write “#1 Fan” on it and pin it to your chest.

Wait, no, better yet.... Convert to being a Mormon so you can marry multiple people and marry am every single announcer, ref, coach, and player. Marry everyone.
Lol what are you talking about ? Lay off the sauce a bit

Oh just give everyone a participation medal. Hell, give yourself one.
get out some construction paper, cut out a star shape, write “#1 Fan” on it and pin it to your chest.
For what? Who wants to give medals?

Keep in mind, what I just wrote is funnier than anything you’ve ever put on this forum much less thought about or said aloud. Now excuse me while I pour myself another gin. And don’t forget to write Santa a letter good (although a little slow) little boy.
Not sure what you want?
Do you want a new coach or not?

If you don’t, quit being a little whiny brat

Not sure what you want?
Do you want a new coach or not?

If you don’t, quit being a little whiny brat
I want our coach to put a little coaching and game theory in with the recruiting and culture both of which are great.

Not hard to figure out. Now go study your algebra and rest well k owing one day you will be old enough to buy and drink gin. In the meantime, go marry the ref and Matt Millen.

Yeah, I think the gophers prefer to lose these games because then you don’t have to bring the thing back and forth. Logistical night mare. I heard Fleck mention it before. Something like “yeah, I don’t game plan for trophy games.”

Yes!

A year ago, this place was ecstatic over beating Penn State.

Apparently, that's a moment all but forgotten now. "Yes, that was pretty good; but what have you done for me lately?"
We had fans a year ago who wanted to give Fleck 10 million a year for life and a statue. Now we have fans who want him fired ! Lets see if we can give him a couple years of all his upperclassmen. During a really difficult year he held the team close, they played really hard. Yes losing sucks but let us see what he does the next 2 years. Do not build statues, do not pay 10 million.

We had fans a year ago who wanted to give Fleck 10 million a year for life and a statue. Now we have fans who want him fired ! Lets see if we can give him a couple years of all his upperclassmen. During a really difficult year he held the team close, they played really hard. Yes losing sucks but let us see what he does the next 2 years. Do not build statues, do not pay 10 million.
Please show me who wants him fired.

Many of us on the other hand are rightfully mad that we continue to go into a shell in big games. We ran out the clock to end both halves (or at least tried to in the first, but ended up punting the ball back only to watch WI take shots) in a game against our biggest rival.

Fixed it, to reflect only actual trophies, not made up internet memes with schools that shouldn't be in the Big Ten.

Just to compare
In Glen Mason's first four years (1997-2000)
  • Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 3-1
  • Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 2-2
Brewster's four years (2007-2010)
  • Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 0-3
  • Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 0-1
In Jerry Kill's first four years (2011-2014)
  • Floyd of Rosedale, vs Iowa, 2-2
  • Little Brown Jug, vs Michigan, 1-3
  • Governor's Victory Bell, vs Penn State, 1-0
So final tallies are really similar.
  • Mason's first four: 5-9
  • Brewster's four: 0-10 (Horton's games don't count)
  • Kill's first four: 4-9
  • Fleck's first four years: 2-9
Again corrected, to our actual trophy games. (and for a fair comparison, with the same teams)

The main difference with Fleck is that he was lucky enough to go against the two easiest Wisconsin teams that any of the four faced in their first four years, 2018 and 2020.

Wisconsin tried to get us to win the game yesterday. We were just too proud of our tradition of losing to them, to take it.

Please show me who wants him fired.

Many of us on the other hand are rightfully mad that we continue to go into a shell in big games. We ran out the clock to end both halves (or at least tried to in the first, but ended up punting the ball back only to watch WI take shots) in a game against our biggest rival.
The coaching staff knows our personnel. While the D has improved over the season, they know that they are susceptible to the big play. They don't want to risk a turnover and give them a short field and a chance for more momentum. They don't trust their D coverage due to lack of experience so they go conservative. THAT is 'game theory' or whatever you called it earlier.

I wish we had some of our D studs ready so they could take some more risks so they don't. We don't have AWR, Kamal, or Williamson on this squad. I am as frustrated at yesterday as anyone but this isn't about the game-day coaching. They lost yesterday because of RECRUITING and PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. A good program can lose talent to the NFL but continues to perform because they have solid players behind them. They may not be stars but they are ready to step on the field. Our bench was not ready to step up this year. WHY?

The coaching staff knows our personnel. While the D has improved over the season, they know that they are susceptible to the big play. They don't want to risk a turnover and give them a short field and a chance for more momentum. They don't trust their D coverage due to lack of experience so they go conservative. THAT is 'game theory' or whatever you called it earlier.

I wish we had some of our D studs ready so they could take some more risks so they don't. We don't have AWR, Kamal, or Williamson on this squad. I am as frustrated at yesterday as anyone but this isn't about the game-day coaching. They lost yesterday because of RECRUITING and PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. A good program can lose talent to the NFL but continues to perform because they have solid players behind them. They may not be stars but they are ready to step on the field. Our bench was not ready to step up this year. WHY?
And the only guys we lost for the season were Oliver and Teague. I don't think even with those two, that our defense would be considerably better. Certainly Oliver would've been better than Aune and Lindenberg this year. So that would've helped some. Teague I think is solid, but not significantly better than Schad, and we mostly went with Dew and Carter in the interior.

We just were never going to be good on defense this year, outside of our starting corners. Fleck knew it. Knew there was going to be a huge gap. Refused to try to plug it with JUCOs.

I guess he thought they'd be good enough to hold opposing teams to low enough points, that we'd just beat teams by out scoring them on offense.

Offense panned out worse than defense, in that sense.

Our defense isn’t good so we play conservative on offense? Not making much sense there.

We won’t see another year with all 3 trophy games (Axe, Pig and Jug) in the same season while we have the Bell for a LONG LONG time, we done fucked up this year really! Disappointing.

Top Bottom