Ellestad, Garrin and Michael Carter all competing to keep starting spots

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this article from Marcus. He also details Bennett's ankle injury:

Duane Bennett's sprained ankle is more bad news for Gophers running game
Leading rusher Bennett dealing with ankle sprain
By Marcus R. Fuller

Southern California held the University of Minnesota to a season-low 83 rushing yards in the Gophers' 32-21 loss Saturday, but there's another reason why the Gophers should be concerned moving forward.

Coach Tim Brewster said Sunday that starting tailback Duane Bennett sat the second half of Saturday's game because he wasn't the same after spraining his ankle a week earlier against South Dakota.

"He really wasn't 100 percent" in Saturday's game, Brewster said of Bennett, who had just 6 yards on seven carries in the first half against the Trojans. "He was kind of gimpy throughout the week. You could see he wasn't hitting it like we want him to."

Brewster said Bennett would play against Northern Illinois (1-2) on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium. But the Gophers (1-2) need Bennett to do more than just play. They need him to perform at the level he did the first two games.

The 5-foot-9, 210-pound junior from Fairview Heights, Ill., was the first Minnesota player to have consecutive 100-yard rushing games since 2007, including a career-best 187 yards on 30 carries in the season opener at Middle Tennessee State.

Bennett had 104 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries in a 41-38 loss to South Dakota on Sept. 11. He had two 25-yard runs in the fourth quarter, so Brewster said he didn't know when the injury occurred.

If Bennett isn't healthy enough to regain his status as the team's feature back, the Gophers are likely to turn to freshman Donnell Kirkwood, who had a team-high 40 yards on 10 carries against USC.

Junior DeLeon Eskridge had 31 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries Saturday, but Brewster said Kirkwood is more explosive. The 5-9, 200-pound Florida native had runs of 15 and 11 yards to the outside against a quick USC defense.

"I think Kirkwood is one of those guys that, if you feed him, he's really going to get better as the game progresses," Brewster said. "He's got that kind of mentality. Most backs are going to get better the more times you hand it to them, but I particularly think Kirkwood's got a chance to be that."

No Gray ratio: Backup quarterback MarQueis Gray nearly reached 100 yards receiving for the second straight game in Saturday's loss, finishing with four catches for 98 yards and a touchdown. He had nine catches for 91 yards and a touchdown against South Dakota.

Gray has not only established himself as quarterback Adam Weber's top target, he ranks third in the Big Ten in receiving yards (211) and receptions per game (4.67).

But the Gophers don't have a set plan to give Gray a certain amount of touches a game, similar to how they used All-Big Ten receiver Eric Decker last season. Brewster said the only given offensively is running the ball every week.

"It's a different game-by-game plan," Brewster said of Gray's role. "There may be a game this year where MarQueis has 15 catches. And then the next game he might have four."

Briefly: Place-kicker Eric Ellestad will have to compete for the starting job this week with David Schwerman, Brewster said. Ellestad is 2 for 5 on field goals this season and was called for a penalty for sending a kickoff out of bounds against USC. Schwerman, a walk-on from Kettle Moraine, Wis., was an all-state kicker in high school.

# There also might be competition for two spots on defense this week. Freshman cornerback Brock Vereen replaced sophomore Michael Carter as a starter against USC, and junior defensive end Anthony Jacobs replaced starting redshirt freshman Matt Garin.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16119768?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Garin should be replaced. He wasn't very good against South Dakota. On that same note, DL Wilhite was manhandled against USC. They really seemed to target him with their edge runs and had great success. If Garin and Wilhite are good pass-rushers, then let's play them in passing situations. Against the run......Jacobs and KGM might be a better idea.

What Weber isn't competing for his job? :rolleyes:

Kicking was a gigantic minus on Saturday.

That return was 99% on the kicker.

what game were you watching?

Garin should be replaced. He wasn't very good against South Dakota. On that same note, DL Wilhite was manhandled against USC. They really seemed to target him with their edge runs and had great success. If Garin and Wilhite are good pass-rushers, then let's play them in passing situations. Against the run......Jacobs and KGM might be a better idea.
I was at the game and for the most part the D line played well. They had the air taken out of them on the face mask by Edwards which was a result of Barkley ducking his head no fault on Edwards part he was making a play. As far as the edge went both KGM and Wilhite made plays Wilhite in particular had his name called the whole game three plays in particular i can recall. one he was on an island by himself and stuffed the run, another out on the edge on a stretch play and then he stopped the two point conversion. Kirksey did a decent job and they handled themselves well for three quarters IMHOP.

Listened to kfan on the way home from the game Sat. It was the flash plus i believe jg and they were actually pretty good. Flashes take for next year is that Gray will stay at WR and that Alipate will be the QB.

Listened to kfan on the way home from the game Sat. It was the flash plus i believe jg and they were actually pretty good. Flashes take for next year is that Gray will stay at WR and that Alipate will be the QB.

At the last scrimmage Alipate looked no where near ready to play much less start.

At the last scrimmage Alipate looked no where near ready to play much less start.

A year is a long time of learning, he could be ready by then, but if I were guessing, I'm thinking Gray might be our starter next season.

If we don't have anyone that can replace Gray at Wr, he will continue to play there imo. We need Brandon Green to wake-up...

KFAN did a solid job

JG and JC did do a good job of reviewing the game.

Loved seeing more of Anthony Jacobs and KGM. Thought we needed to increase the rotation of subs for Edwards and Kirksey, but I didn't see Hageman do anything noteworthy. It's hard to understand why he isn't making more progress. Wilhite did pretty well (showing improvement). I wonder if Wilhite, Kirksey, Edwards and KGM might be the group that starts by the end of the season (with Anthony Jacobs replacing any/all throughout the game).

When is the last time we had people with some speed and skill competing in this many positions?

Alipate will never be a successful Big Ten QB. He couldn't complete 50% of his passes in high school. Was the 4th or 5th best QB in the Lake Conference his senior year. Career record of about 8-20 or so.

As an avid follower of high school football I will be SHOCKED if he is ever a quality Big Ten QB. I will not be completely shocked if he is a gopher starter though. When khaliq is the best QB your school has had in a 15 year period I have learned to not expect greatness from the position.

Also the guys on KFAN postgame don't know anything about football. it is apparent in listening to them. Postgame for gophers are tough. You can pick KFAN and get young guys discussing the game with callers despite having no lack of football knowledge. Or you can get WCCO and listen to the old timers broadcast sponsored by the funeral home. You get no real discussion there either.

The U of M needs to move broadcasts to KFAN, if they did they would be forced to hire some people that actually know about college football (JG does not know ANYTHING about college football), they would get a bigger audience with a younger demographic (which they need), and they would rid themselves of Dave Lee (which everyone needs).

Alipate will never be a successful Big Ten QB. He couldn't complete 50% of his passes in high school. Was the 4th or 5th best QB in the Lake Conference his senior year. Career record of about 8-20 or so.

As an avid follower of high school football I will be SHOCKED if he is ever a quality Big Ten QB. I will not be completely shocked if he is a gopher starter though. When khaliq is the best QB your school has had in a 15 year period I have learned to not expect greatness from the position.

Also the guys on KFAN postgame don't know anything about football. it is apparent in listening to them. Postgame for gophers are tough. You can pick KFAN and get young guys discussing the game with callers despite having no lack of football knowledge. Or you can get WCCO and listen to the old timers broadcast sponsored by the funeral home. You get no real discussion there either.

The U of M needs to move broadcasts to KFAN, if they did they would be forced to hire some people that actually know about college football (JG does not know ANYTHING about college football), they would get a bigger audience with a younger demographic (which they need), and they would rid themselves of Dave Lee (which everyone needs).

Alipate played on an awful team at Jefferson and was the only reason they actually won a few games.
________
Oregon Medical Marijuana Dispensary

If Gray is not starting at QB next year (barring a miracle freshman) there is something wrong with whoever is coaching the team.

People can knock his throwing ability, but Mike Vick and Donovon McNab did not become multi-million dollar quarterbacks because of their arms (although they are both capable passers). Terrelle Prior and Michigan's QB are doing pretty decent jobs as well. As long as Gray has SOME throwing capabilities, he needs to be playing QB for sure when Webber leaves (if not right now).

Alipate played on an awful team at Jefferson and was the only reason they actually won a few games.

Alipate was a D1 recruit for 2 reasons

1) name recognition
2) Big Frame, Big Arm starting on a Lake Conference team as a sophomore

20 years ago he wouldn't have gotten a D1 scholarship. This is a classic example of the new recruiting system gone wrong. With everyone needing to get offers and commits after junior year, people get offers based on frames and their soph/jr year rather than their play during their senior year.

Just sit back and watch. Alipate is not good.

If Gray is not starting at QB next year (barring a miracle freshman) there is something wrong with whoever is coaching the team.

People can knock his throwing ability, but Mike Vick and Donovon McNab did not become multi-million dollar quarterbacks because of their arms. Terrelle Prior and Michigan's QB are doing pretty decent jobs as well. As long as Gray has SOME throwing capabilities, he needs to be playing QB for sure when Webber leaves.

The only way Gray is not the starting QB next year is if they bring in a guy like Leach or June Jones. Guys like that will bring in a freshman QB from somewhere to run their system and use Gray for his WR ability. Any other coach beside those two (including Brewster) there is a 100% chance Gray is the starting QB next year.

People can knock his throwing ability, but Mike Vick and Donovon McNab did not become multi-million dollar quarterbacks because of their arms (although they are both capable passers). Terrelle Prior and Michigan's QB are doing pretty decent jobs as well. As long as Gray has SOME throwing capabilities, he needs to be playing QB for sure when Webber leaves (if not right now).

Gray has so much potential to impact the game at quarterback. I don't see how he doesn't start there next year.

1) name recognition

20 years ago he wouldn't have gotten a D1 scholarship. This is a classic example of the new recruiting system gone wrong. With everyone needing to get offers and commits after junior year, people get offers based on frames and their soph/jr year rather than their play during their senior year.

I don't need you to tell me to sit back and watch, I have seen him in person and have played against him multiple times myself. His team was bad his senior year and he single handedly beat us in a game they had no business winning. He has legitimate talent and could turn into something special. Since when is it a bad thing to have a big frame and a cannon for an arm too? Not to mention he has some pretty good feet and is a solid athlete for his size. Take your know-it-all attitude somewhere else.
________
R1150Gs

Moses has gotten very big and I'm not sure that is going to serve him well. Do not believe the roster. He's "235" in his bra. Moses is at least 275. He might find himself on the OL if he can't get is body together. I can't wait to see Marqueis take over. He will be an important piece of the puzzle considering the loss of numerous OL seniors after this year. A QB who is more dangerous might buy a young OL some time to learn.

1) name recognition

Having a big frame and a big arm are two things that you can't coach. Moses Alipate also absolutely shined at some Junior All American Camp (can't remember the name), that is when the offers and interest started flooding in (Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc.). You might think he was all hype, and he could be, but there was a ton more to it than just "big kid, big frame".

As for the people asking about his weight, I was never under the impression that is a negative. He looks like a solid 245-250 ish to me.

So what has happened to Carter?? Really thought this kid had all Big Ten potential.

I look forward to next year only to see how Gray / Alipate work out at QB.

Well, I look forward to next year.. after this year's over.

I don't need you to tell me to sit back and watch, I have seen him in person and have played against him multiple times myself. His team was bad his senior year and he single handedly beat us in a game they had no business winning. He has legitimate talent and could turn into something special. Since when is it a bad thing to have a big frame and a cannon for an arm too? Not to mention he has some pretty good feet and is a solid athlete for his size. Take your know-it-all attitude somewhere else.

He has a big arm. he has an inaccurate arm. He saying he has good feet is a gross overstatement. He has okay feet in the pocket. He is not a good runner.

Having a big frame and a big arm are two things that you can't coach. Moses Alipate also absolutely shined at some Junior All American Camp (can't remember the name), that is when the offers and interest started flooding in (Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc.). You might think he was all hype, and he could be, but there was a ton more to it than just "big kid, big frame".

As for the people asking about his weight, I was never under the impression that is a negative. He looks like a solid 245-250 ish to me.
By the time he went to the Under Armor stuff the recruiting process had essentially played itself out already.

I don't see his weight as a negative. I see his inaccuracy and poor decision making (on the field) as a negative.

I was more referring to another poster commenting on his weight.

Now, I'm not sure about his decision making so i'll take your word that you are much more clued into him as a player than I am, but I have read i've never really heard huge problems with this kid's accuracy.

I will say this, the little i've heard about this kid from his time at the U is that he does certainly have a chance of being the starter next season. I personally hope it's a possibility just because I think Gray might be one of the better WRs in the Big 10. If he isn't capable, I have no problem going with Gray either, it'd just be nice to have the added weapon.

I was more referring to another poster commenting on his weight.

Now, I'm not sure about his decision making so i'll take your word that you are much more clued into him as a player than I am, but I have read i've never really heard huge problems with this kid's accuracy.

I will say this, the little i've heard about this kid from his time at the U is that he does certainly have a chance of being the starter next season. I personally hope it's a possibility just because I think Gray might be one of the better WRs in the Big 10. If he isn't capable, I have no problem going with Gray either, it'd just be nice to have the added weapon.

It would be nice if he could play well. I just don't see it. His accuracy problems were in high school. I admit I have not seen him play the last 2 years other than the spring games and scrimmages (though neither have any of the people saying he is good). But the accuracy problems in high school were best exemplified by his sub 50% completion percentage in all 3 of his years as a starter.

If he can play at a high level it would be great. Leaving Gray at WR is preferable in my opinion, but only acceptable if someone can take over QB and play at a high level. I don't see it.

It sounds like, based on the latest Miller article that Jacobs will be replacing Garin, Ellestad is still starting although on the hot seat. No word on Carter although it's really hard to see that change being made when our biggest problem is experience. I think he gets much better with Theret and Royston on the field. Although I could see Brew sending a message and having him come off the bench and still play most of the reps.

Top Bottom