Eddie Johnson....

Bryce Webster

Reaction score
... should not be assigned to Illini games. The one thing that stuck above all other rube calls was the Joe Coleman attempted dunk where he got hit in the face, body, and just about everywhere else besides the ball. I believe the quote was something along the lines of "He might have gotten away with a bit of foul on that one."

I agree. It was awful listening to him. Its time to take a step back Eddie. That no call on Joes attempt where he was bodied head to hips was terrible and if he wasn't such a homer, he'd see that.

I thought that he did a really good job. I liked listening to him more than the play-by-play guy. Of course, things went so well at the end for the Gophers, that I didn't put much stock in any "homerism" from Eddie.

Eddie almost cried during the broadcast when Hollins hit that prayer shot from half court...I swear it took him 30 seconds to regain his composure...lol

AGREED 100% that he should never get an Illini game, just as Jimmy Jackson shouldn't get an OSU game.

I liked Eddie. I thought he had some good insight. He did miss the coleman all bad. He reminded me of when Quincy does/did gopher games.

Whenever the Gophers made a big play, he reminded me of Paul Allen calling a Packers TD....almost whispering and sullen.

Does it really matter? What makes the BTN so great is that it is 4 homers like us...and Eddie et al.

I would prefer we have 20 homers doing play by play and post game shows than ESPN or FOX who love the SEC and ACC and don't know crap about us.

At least these guys know our history, our players and our fans.

The PBP guy was great. The Twins need to hire him from the Brew Crew and fast. Johnson was good, too, I thought. I don't remember us having that crew before, I was worried before the game, but I thought they were a solid team.

I didn't have a problem with either one. My one critique would be the lack of a foul call on that play was horrendous. Coleman get absolutely drilled and no call was made. But my issue on that is with the refs and not the announcers obviously.

I was cracking up how depressed he sounded when Coleman kept lighting them up in the 2nd half. "Check his eyes, sheesh....." haha

Best part was end of the game interview with Tubby. Took about 10 seconds to even put the mic over to him.

Perhaps I'm in the minority- I thought the announcing team was pretty good last night.

I thought they were fine. I like having former B1G guys as they care about the conference and are invested. Yea they're homerish but so what? Derrick Rackley called some Gopher FB games as did Glen Mason

I found it somewhat amusing that he's an Illinois legend yet he pronounced Groce wrong for the entire first half.

homer or not both were terrible. However will endure less than ideal announcers just to see game. Mute button works for me.

They did a fine job last night, and honestly, people just like to pounce on announcers. There isn't a great supply of great announcers anymore, and I thought the two of them did their job without being super annoying and overreactive like many other terrible ones.

IMO, of they don't make the game unwatchable, aren't filling the air with complete crap, and are staying somewhat in the distance instead of being in your face and annoying, their doing their jobs.

I liked the part where Eddie took about 40 seconds to explain some obvious concept in the second half.

But I liked it even better when he took 40 seconds to explain the exact same obvious concept in the first half.

They did a fine job last night, and honestly, people just like to pounce on announcers. There isn't a great supply of great announcers anymore, and I thought the two of them did their job without being super annoying and overreactive like many other terrible ones.

Actually I felt the exact opposite. They refused to get excited about exciting gopher plays, and spent most of the game drooling over Brandon Paul's talent. He's very good, but show SOME impartiality and excitement for the gophers.

I wouldn't say that the pair were terrible, but it was a little obnoxious to have the guys covering the game clearly hoping we would lose.

Actually I felt the exact opposite. They refused to get excited about exciting gopher plays, and spent most of the game drooling over Brandon Paul's talent. He's very good, but show SOME impartiality and excitement for the gophers.

I wouldn't say that the pair were terrible, but it was a little obnoxious to have the guys covering the game clearly hoping we would lose.

I was watching the game (2nd half) with my girlfriend, as per usual, who isn't a huge basketball fan but watches so I'll watch some of her shows with her. Anyway, she was saying that she had never heard announcers talk about our team so positively. I tended to agree; the second half, in particular, I thought they were really positive, almost gushing, about our team. I did not see the first half, though.

The thing that annoyed me the most was how often they brought up paul had a bloody nose, mentioned it like every 5minutes, it was a bloody nose and he was playing, its not that big of a deal, they made it seem like he was out there playing with a broken leg

Don't forget the new jersey. That had to get to him...

On occasion I feel like there must be two feeds to a game... one geared towards the home crowd and another totally different broadcast for the away crowd. Last night was one of those nights, but I thought we were getting the Illini feed. They absolutely wanted the Illini to role us and assert there dominance as a meaningful team in the conference. I felt the same feeling though while watching our football team in the Meineke bowl. I kept thinking that there had to be two broadcasts because it was all about the gophers all the time. Maybe there were two feeds for that game, but man I thought it was lopsided. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but when you're on the wrong side of it, it's downright annoying.

I was disappointed in Eddie. He couldn't even pronounce Groce correctly. Kept calling him Gro-chee.

The BTN has some guys announcing that really shouldn't be. Greg Kelser is probably the worst. Well, next to Tim Doyle anyway.

By the way, nice win. I knew you guys were a bad match up for us. I will need to drink extra when we road trip to MN for the game. It's going to be ugly.

On occasion I feel like there must be two feeds to a game... one geared towards the home crowd and another totally different broadcast for the away crowd. Last night was one of those nights, but I thought we were getting the Illini feed. They absolutely wanted the Illini to role us and assert there dominance as a meaningful team in the conference. I felt the same feeling though while watching our football team in the Meineke bowl. I kept thinking that there had to be two broadcasts because it was all about the gophers all the time. Maybe there were two feeds for that game, but man I thought it was lopsided. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but when you're on the wrong side of it, it's downright annoying.

I personally don't want the announcers to be homers towards the Gophers either. I like announcers who are neutral and enjoy hearing different things about the opponents as well.

I do think some announcers feed off the crowd many times, so they get more excited when the home team does something great because the crowd is going crazy. In some ways, it's probably just natural but they can't forget who their audience is; fans of both teams.

I also think former players get jobs too easily sometimes (i.e. Joey Galloway). Just because they were a good player in their days doesn't mean they're good on the radio or tv.

... should not be assigned to Illini games. The one thing that stuck above all other rube calls was the Joe Coleman attempted dunk where he got hit in the face, body, and just about everywhere else besides the ball. I believe the quote was something along the lines of "He might have gotten away with a bit of foul on that one."[/QUOTE

From the Illini message board during the game: At least we know who Eddie Johnson is, not so sure about Illinois.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecLeagueHero
And man oh man is this color announcer bad.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Do you have any idea who Eddie Johnson is?

Top Bottom