Eastern Illinois coaches = what a group of lame arse ****** bags

Correct me if I'm wrong, they did not kick an onside down 35-7, but did down 42-14? Why not down 35-7? M sorry, but you don't do onside kicks down 28 with 28 seconds left. Pure bush league. What are you practicing? The players don't even want to be on the field anymore and probably aren't giving 100% anymore.

Going for 3 consecutive on-side kicks with 30 seconds left when you are down 42-14 with no timeouts is not "bringing it" or "playing until the final whistle" at the end or whatever cliche a few of you are trying to call it. It was stupid, dangerous and completely unnecessary on EIU's part and their coaches. Could have got players unnecessarily hurt on both teams for absolutely 100% no reason whatsoever. Please stop being purposely naive on this.

^ Yeah, this. I turned my TV off with less than a minute to go and turned it back on almost ten minutes later. They were still kicking. It was ridiculous.

IMO this is a case where the EIU coach being new and inexperienced may have come into play. I can understand the throwing the ball all around late because that is what they do even though a lot of other teams might have just run the ball and got the game over. The timeouts and the onside kicks were what I was upset with as they really weren't getting back in the game at that point and there is no sense to do it if you aren't getting back in the game. I agree with Claeys that it felt like they were trying to pad stats and really felt like they actually had something to gain by making the score closer than the game really ever was.

Having situations in games can't be duplicated in practice. I have no problem with what EIU did at all. They're concerned about their team going forward. Playing Minnesota is going to help them down the road.

I guess after the first time the kick didn't work, maybe I'd kick it deep at that point since you were able to do it and see it. But I'm not that upset about it.

That the Gopher coaches are so upset over it is a bit puzzling to me. Then again, I did see this staff punt when only down 2 scores with about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter against Michigan State in 2012, so maybe they have a different approach.

Honestly: I think the coaches were just upset that they had a roughing the passer penalty that kept a drive alive, didn't recover the onside kick, and gave up a last second TD. I'd guess they wouldn't be as upset about EIU by today or tomorrow. Just my guess.

I agree. Glen Mason was saying the same thing. Paraphrasing, he said "You're down big, with little time left in the game. Really no better time to practice this. EI could end up winning next weeks game with an onside kick. It also gives opposing coaches a couple more wrinkles they have to game plan for."

Perhaps Clayes was pi$$ed because it made his defensive stats look worse than they had looked just seven minutes of playing time before that when his defense was pitching a "shut-out" at EI. Those darn coaches are pretty egotistical. And, if his stats go down hill, maybe he won't earn a "big $$$$" bonus from the athletic director at the end of this season.

I think he would have been smarter to just keep his mouth shut and not sound like he was whining. Be a little classier Coach. Let the fans and media come to their own "sour grapes" conclusions and let them do your excuse making for you coach. Based upon some of the responses in this thread some of the fans will come up with some good excuses and shots at the coaches of the other team for you Coach Clayes. Be smart and "trust the process..."

An onside kick down by four touchdowns with half a minute to play is a jerk move. Most coaches would be pissed.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Hence: many coaches are jerks who love to make jerky comments about the jerk who coaches the other team. IF coaches are SO concerned about safety issues, why the hell haven't they eliminated this horribly dangerous "on-side-kick" crap from the rules? Any time a coach sends his quarterback or even a running back into the line he is putting lots of kids at risk for injury IF you want to be honest. And the entire punt thing and kick-off thing is really a nasty and dangerous business, rodent rampage person.

Perhaps Clayes was pi$$ed because it made his defensive stats look worse than they had looked just seven minutes of playing time before that when his defense was pitching a "shut-out" at EI. Those darn coaches are pretty egotistical. And, if his stats go down hill, maybe he won't earn a "big $$$$" bonus from the athletic director at the end of this season.

I think he would have been smarter to just keep his mouth shut and not sound like he was whining. Be a little classier Coach. Let the fans and media come to their own "sour grapes" conclusions and let them do your excuse making for you coach. Based upon some of the responses in this thread some of the fans will come up with some good excuses and shots at the coaches of the other team for you Coach Clayes. Be smart and "trust the process..."

When he logs on to gopherhole, you've given him a lot to think about.

I didn't hear Claeys interview so don't have the full context but those are not the kind of comments I like hearing from coaches and it really feels out of character for Claeys. Like a lot of others in this thread I don't have a problem with what EIU did at the end, I highly doubt the coaches on their side were giving any thought to stats, they were trying to work on their game against a high level opponent to help get their guys ready for games agains lesser opponents from here on out. Makes total sense to me to get as many snaps as you can.

As for getting upset about the onside kicks, it is not like EIU had any delusions about winning the game they just wanted to get some live game reps on a situation that is really tough to work on in practice. Our coaches are smart enough to understand that so odd to see the sour grapes after the games from the Gopher Coaches about what EIU did late.

JG and Grimm followed up by saying "that is why the coaches get a 10 minute cooling off period before talking to media."

I am pretty sure his thought process was more along the lines of "We may have lost 3 key rotation players on our DL for the season, and now we have to deal with this and risk even more injuries." He probably shouldn't have been as upset as he was, but I think we can all understand where his frustration was coming from.

The multiple onsides were stupid. But not because they were trying to score.

It's a dangerous play.

The multiple onsides were stupid. But not because they were trying to score.

It's a dangerous play.

So why haven't these coaches become more dedicated to promoting the safety of the game by working like hell trying to influence the rules committee to eliminate the on-side kick and other dangerous types of situations in which players are running full speed for 40 to 50 yards, converging on one spot of the field and focusing on one player to try to knock that players block off or totally "stick" the defenseless punt return man waiting to catch the punt, causing that player to either fail to return the kick or to possibly cause the return man to turn the ball over? IF the coaches are so concerned about the safety of their players why does the kickoff, kickoff return, punt and punt return happen so often every game? They are potentially very dangerous plays every time they happen. I think the problem lies with the rules of the game and the officials who run the show on the field and represent the rules committee during each game.

The rules committee probably needs to hear Coach C's opinion rather than to have him direct it at the other team's coach.

So why haven't these coaches become more dedicated to promoting the safety of the game by working like hell trying to influence the rules committee to eliminate the on-side kick and other dangerous types of situations in which players are running full speed for 40 to 50 yards, converging on one spot of the field and focusing on one player to try to knock that players block off or totally "stick" the defenseless punt return man waiting to catch the punt, causing that player to either fail to return the kick or to possibly cause the return man to turn the ball over? IF the coaches are so concerned about the safety of their players why does the kickoff, kickoff return, punt and punt return happen so often every game? They are potentially very dangerous plays every time they happen. I think the problem lies with the rules of the game and the officials who run the show on the field and represent the rules committee during each game.

The rules committee probably needs to hear Coach C's opinion rather than to have him direct it at the other team's coach.

Wren, then what we need to do is like the old days of flag football... Receiving team just gets the ball at the 30, and one-two-three hut!!!

I didn't hear Claeys interview so don't have the full context but those are not the kind of comments I like hearing from coaches and it really feels out of character for Claeys. Like a lot of others in this thread I don't have a problem with what EIU did at the end, I highly doubt the coaches on their side were giving any thought to stats, they were trying to work on their game against a high level opponent to help get their guys ready for games agains lesser opponents from here on out. Makes total sense to me to get as many snaps as you can.

As for getting upset about the onside kicks, it is not like EIU had any delusions about winning the game they just wanted to get some live game reps on a situation that is really tough to work on in practice. Our coaches are smart enough to understand that so odd to see the sour grapes after the games from the Gopher Coaches about what EIU did late.

I can absolutely understand why Clays thought that though. EIU acted so weird at the end to me. Besides what has been talked about already, they had a player talking $hit and waving his arms in the air like it was a huge deal when they recovered an onside kick. Then on the last TD with no time left, two players did the "pose for the camera" celebration where the guy who caught it posed and another guy acted like he was taking a picture.

You just got your @ss kicked and you're doing that? Stupid. Just an odd ending.

I can absolutely understand why Clays thought that though. EIU acted so weird at the end to me. Besides what has been talked about already, they had a player talking $hit and waving his arms in the air like it was a huge deal when they recovered an onside kick. Then on the last TD with no time left, two players did the "pose for the camera" celebration where the guy who caught it posed and another guy acted like he was taking a picture.

You just got your @ss kicked and you're doing that? Stupid. Just an odd ending.

Yeah, Eastern Illinois did not act like a team that was getting their a$$ kicked. It was strange.

It was a weak offsides call. I watched it multiple times and even freeze-framed it. It's possible one guy had his toe touching the 45, you can't tell for sure, but nobody is obviously offsides. Calling that in a 28 point game with 30 seconds left... SMH. And the second time, the official was over the ball to prevent the kick, then somebody blew his whistle and he clearly stepped away to allow the kick. Also, the roughing the passer call to negate the INT was weak.

I'm more concerned about our guys allowing those last two TDs...they were reserves, but they are mostly rotational players who are going to play some in the B1G. Antonio Johnson whiffed the tackle on the 2nd TD, and Marcus Jones looked terrible on the last one.

Antonio Johnson had him but was blocked off course at the last moment. Can't argue with Marcus jones assessment.

FWIW, statistically speaking if you get 3 shots at an onside kick you've got approximately a 50/50 chance of recovering one of them.

[Data from a couple sources indicates about a 20% recovery rate by the kicking team for an onsides kick that was not a surprise. Meaning an 80% receiving team recovery rate, meaning that for 3 independent kicks the receiving team has a 51% chance of recovering all 3.]

Antonio Johnson had him but was blocked off course at the last moment. Can't argue with Marcus jones assessment.

Jones was in position but didn't jump for the ball for some reason. I'm not too worried, I think he's our #6 CB at this point behind Murray, Wells, BBC, Myrick, and James.

It was a weak offsides call. I watched it multiple times and even freeze-framed it. It's possible one guy had his toe touching the 45, you can't tell for sure, but nobody is obviously offsides. Calling that in a 28 point game with 30 seconds left... SMH. And the second time, the official was over the ball to prevent the kick, then somebody blew his whistle and he clearly stepped away to allow the kick. Also, the roughing the passer call to negate the INT was weak.

I'm more concerned about our guys allowing those last two TDs...they were reserves, but they are mostly rotational players who are going to play some in the B1G. Antonio Johnson whiffed the tackle on the 2nd TD, and Marcus Jones looked terrible on the last one.

I'm really not worried about it. We had mostly guys with little to no experience in the game plus we were probably pretty conservative in what we were playing at the end.

?! Yeah? Like how our 1's should have kicked NDSU 1's asses? We aren't FSU, Bama or OSU.

Yeah, times have changed. The gap in talent just isn't there like it used to be.

Ohio St. is struggling with Navy, Iowa is struggling with N. Iowa, Illinois is losing to Youngstown St., Iowa St. is losing to NDSU.

Yeah, Eastern Illinois did not act like a team that was getting their a$$ kicked. It was strange.
Yes, strange how some teams play hard for 60 minutes even when they have no chance to win.

Absolutely zero issues with EIU calling an onside, throwing deep down the stretch, or anything else. The officials messed up the kicking situation, the Gophers messed up the defensive things...why should the coaches and players of EIU just roll over and die? Don't you play until the final whistle? We're making up things to whine about.

Top Bottom