Easily 3-0 with Mbakwe

bleedsmaroonandgold said:
How many examples can you give of teams last season who allowed an injury to take them from the top 20 to missing the NIT? I think the Hummel example is right on point and from very recently.

How do you think Wisconsin would do if Taylor got hurt? Considering they just lost to Iowa and MSU at home with him.

It's common knowledge al nolen stole minggg's lunch money. He has always hated him.

Yeah, attack me, forget about arguing the facts I posted. Nolen was an average player and if he is the best player you have, you don't belong in the NCAA's anyway. Nolen just got cut for the 2nd time by a D-League team. He just wasn't that good. I don't hate him. If you are losing an argument, it is just normal to attack the person with the facts. I understand.

How do you think Wisconsin would do if Taylor got hurt? Considering they just lost to Iowa and MSU at home with him.

More "ifs' and "buts". I can tell this, WI's backup pg is better than anything Tubby has at that position.

Oh man...they put a sf on the list this year. Bad, bad example. Frazier was the pg for that team

Oh man...they put a sf on the list this year. Bad, bad example. Frazier was the pg for that team

PSU played a multiple guard offense. Talor played the whole game so he would rest as off guard, but he is a point guard. Always was a pg. When you have two players like Frazier and Battle, you find a way to put them both on the court. Who is the SF on this years list?

Will Barton

Tim Frazier is on the list too. And every team has a multiple guard offense.

New rule for coaches.....you cannot blame them for failure if they have injured player. This will make a loto f coaches breathe easier when their contracts come up. Here is the list of excuses for Tubby:

1) injured Trevor
2) no practice facility
3) White transfer
4) Joseph transfer
5) Nolen injury
6) Walker injury
7) Cobbs transfer
8) Carter transfer
9) Iverson transfer
10) Monson left him nothing
11) He had to quick recruit second and third rtae recruits because of transfers
12) Nobody can win at MN, not Tubby's fault
13) The Barn is too old

Look at the first nine "excuses" (love how you call them excuses, as if every coach has 5 transfers and 3 season ending injuries, 2 of them being to arguably the most vital players on their respective teams, in the course of 3 seasons). How many other programs have had to deal with that amount of crap? I've heard that Northwestern is the only other program in the Big Ten without a practice facility.

Just wanted to remind people we lost one of the top 5 players in the B10 and the hands down MVP on the team. Season buckled when his knee buckled. Rebounding has completely tanked, as totally expected. And that equals three losses right out of the gate. And it will get uglier with better competition.

Why hammer away on the team/coach? It is what it is; MN basketball will NEVER have much margin for error and this year and last injuries did them in.

Coaching has NOT been the issue! Tubby has shown he can beat the best with a full roster.

Chilax!

Isn't part of being a great coach being able to adjust to adversity? Get rid of the excuses buddy, Mr Smith wins big with players he doesn't even recruit. He is way past his prime and proven to be a below average recruiter and an offensive moron.

We are 0-3 and the sky is falling.

Let us not forget that Michigan started 1-6 in the BigTen last year and came back very respectably the rest of the season.

It's a good thing the players and coaches don't give up as easily as the fans.

Yeah but Michigan had an imaginative coach and good players.

Nolen was an average player and if he is the best player you have, you don't belong in the NCAA's anyway.

Best player and most important player is not always the same guy.

Nolen just got cut for the 2nd time by a D-League team.

Don't know how that relates to his time with the Gophers. If you paid any attention to college/pro sports, how you did in the college game doesn't always mean you will be the same kind of player in the pros. I guess Hasheem Thabeet, Adam Morrison, Shelden Williams, or Joe Alexander weren't very good college players either. (And no, I am not trying to say that Nolen had the college career that these guys did, just that lack of success at the next level doesn't mean they weren't good college players)

He just wasn't that good. I don't hate him. If you are losing an argument, it is just normal to attack the person with the facts. I understand.

Your opinion does not equal "facts".

I don't think anyone can argue that Nolen wasn't important to the team last year. It wasn't coincidence that we went into the tank once he got hurt.

Better than Taylor, Jackson, Thompson, Lucas, Craft, Morris, Jones III, McCamey, Battle? That leaves Nolen and Cartwright. Not sure which was better to be honest. I'll give Nolen the edge. Feel free to tell me which guards on this list he was better than. If it isn't 5 or more, he is, by definition, average.
I'd put him above Jones III and Craft. Craft and Nolen were basically the same players, with Nolen having a slightly better offense. I had to look up who Jones III even was. It seems to me you put a lot of importance into offense and very little in defense.

Craft and Nolen were basically the same players, with Nolen having a slightly better offense.
WHAT?!

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Nolen...but saying Nolen is the same as Craft with "slightly better offense?"

Wow zambam. Wow.

WHAT?!

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Nolen...but saying Nolen is the same as Craft with "slightly better offense?"

Wow zambam. Wow.
Craft didn't even start last year.... He wasn't even the best PG on his team.
Nolen averaged more points, one less assist, similar amount of steals, and one less turnover. I'm just looking at stats here.

zambam said:
Sorry, he started one game. My bad.

AS A FRESHMAN (2010-11)
• Played in all 37 games, making one start against Morehead State (11/23/10)
• Averaged 6.9 points, 4.8 assists and 2.0 steals per game
• Led all Big Ten players in assists with 177, against 79 turnovers (2.2 ratio) ... posted at least six assists in 16 games on the season, including eight against Big Ten opponents
• Broke the Ohio State record for single-game assists with 15 against George Mason in the NCAA Tournament
• Was fifth in the conference and first on the team in steals steals with 73
• Broke the freshman record for single-game steals with seven vs. Iowa (1/19/11) and had at least one in all but six games
• Finished in second place among OSU freshmen and third overall for season steals

AS A FRESHMAN (2010-11)
• Played in all 37 games, making one start against Morehead State (11/23/10)
• Averaged 6.9 points, 4.8 assists and 2.0 steals per game
• Led all Big Ten players in assists with 177, against 79 turnovers (2.2 ratio) ... posted at least six assists in 16 games on the season, including eight against Big Ten opponents
• Broke the Ohio State record for single-game assists with 15 against George Mason in the NCAA Tournament
• Was fifth in the conference and first on the team in steals steals with 73
• Broke the freshman record for single-game steals with seven vs. Iowa (1/19/11) and had at least one in all but six games
• Finished in second place among OSU freshmen and third overall for season steals
Thank you for proving my point that he only started one game.

minngg said:
New rule for coaches.....you cannot blame them for failure if they have injured player. This will make a loto f coaches breathe easier when their contracts come up. Here is the list of excuses for Tubby:

1) injured Trevor
2) no practice facility
3) White transfer
4) Joseph transfer
5) Nolen injury
6) Walker injury
7) Cobbs transfer
8) Carter transfer
9) Iverson transfer
13) The Barn is too old

+1000 - Except 2, 12 and 13.

zambam said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch any OSU basketball last year. Who was their better PG? Craft averaged 29 minutes and led the team in assists.

While he wasn't technically a starter, he put up some good numbers and got a lot of minutes. For whatever reason, probably just to get him the Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year award, he wouldn't start, but he would come in about 2 or 3 minutes into the game and play 30 minutes.

It doesn't matter if Craft or someone else started for OSU. They were better than Nolen.

I'd put him above Jones III and Craft. Craft and Nolen were basically the same players, with Nolen having a slightly better offense. I had to look up who Jones III even was. It seems to me you put a lot of importance into offense and very little in defense.

You don't even know who Verdell Jones is? Seriously? If you don't even know who he is, how do you know if he can play defense?

You don't even know who Verdell Jones is? Seriously? If you don't even know who he is, how do you know if he can play defense?
zambam hasn't been around here much...I think he said he's only 18 years old in a previous post.

It doesn't matter if Craft or someone else started for OSU. They were better than Nolen.

Craft averaged 4.5 assists per game last season with an assist to turnover ratio of 2.10.
Nolen, as a freshman, averaged 3.6 assists with a ratio of 1.97
In Nolen's sophomore year, his last full season at Minnesota unfortunately, he averaged 4.3 with a ratio of 2.46.

Craft led the Big Ten with 1.94 steals per game, however, in 14 games, Nolen was averaging 2.43 steals, nearly half a steal per game more than Aaron Craft.

2010-11 season statistics

Points per game
Craft - 6.973
Nolen - 8.429
Advantage - Nolen

Field goal percentage
Craft - 46.4%
Nolen - 33.3%
Advantage - Craft

Free throw percentage
Craft - 72.7%
Nolen - 72.7%
Tie

Assists per game
Craft - 4.784
Nolen - 3.714
Advantage - Craft

Turnovers per game
Craft - 2.135
Nolen - 2.071
Advantage - Nolen

Assist to turnover ratio
Craft - 2.2
Nolen - 1.8
Advantage - Craft

Steals per game
Craft - 1.973
Nolen - 2.429
Advantage - Nolen

Rebounds per game
Craft - 3.176
Nolen - 3.643
Advantage - Nolen

4-3 Nolen

Stats could be skewed from the limited number of games Nolen played, also one has to wonder how much Nolen's injury affected his performance (I believe he played some/most of his games while still having pain in his foot), because in his senior year, he had his highest turnover percentage, second lowest assists per game, and lowest A/T ratio, while all three of these statistics had been steadily improving through his first three seasons. That said, he also had his highest points, rebounds, and steals per game of his Gopher career in his senior year. Also interesting to note, Nolen's 3-point percentage in his junior year was 39.3%, whereas it was only 29.2%, 29.4%, and 30.3% in his freshman, sophomore, and senior years respectively.

They're pretty similar, they both get a high amount of steals per game, although Nolen has a significant lead over Craft in that regard. Craft seems to be more effective on the offensive end, Nolen seems to be a better defender. I think Nolen would have also had an advantage of being a senior, being more experienced with the coach and the team than the freshman Craft.

Also the reason some stats might differ from the top of my post versus the Nolen/Craft comparison, such as Craft's steals per game, Craft's stats up above were gotten from ESPN, whereas all stats for the comparison were from statsheet.com

1) injured Trevor
2) no practice facility
3) White transfer
4) Joseph transfer
5) Nolen injury
6) Walker injury
7) Cobbs transfer
8) Carter transfer
9) Iverson transfer
13) The Barn is too old

PRACTICE FACILITY. How could you forget!?!?!?

Craft averaged 4.5 assists per game last season with an assist to turnover ratio of 2.10.
Nolen, as a freshman, averaged 3.6 assists with a ratio of 1.97
In Nolen's sophomore year, his last full season at Minnesota unfortunately, he averaged 4.3 with a ratio of 2.46.

Craft led the Big Ten with 1.94 steals per game, however, in 14 games, Nolen was averaging 2.43 steals, nearly half a steal per game more than Aaron Craft.

2010-11 season statistics

Points per game
Craft - 6.973
Nolen - 8.429
Advantage - Nolen

Field goal percentage
Craft - 46.4%
Nolen - 33.3%
Advantage - Craft

Free throw percentage
Craft - 72.7%
Nolen - 72.7%
Tie

Assists per game
Craft - 4.784
Nolen - 3.714
Advantage - Craft

Turnovers per game
Craft - 2.135
Nolen - 2.071
Advantage - Nolen

Assist to turnover ratio
Craft - 2.2
Nolen - 1.8
Advantage - Craft

Steals per game
Craft - 1.973
Nolen - 2.429
Advantage - Nolen

Rebounds per game
Craft - 3.176
Nolen - 3.643
Advantage - Nolen

4-3 Nolen

Stats could be skewed from the limited number of games Nolen played, also one has to wonder how much Nolen's injury affected his performance (I believe he played some/most of his games while still having pain in his foot), because in his senior year, he had his highest turnover percentage, second lowest assists per game, and lowest A/T ratio, while all three of these statistics had been steadily improving through his first three seasons. That said, he also had his highest points, rebounds, and steals per game of his Gopher career in his senior year. Also interesting to note, Nolen's 3-point percentage in his junior year was 39.3%, whereas it was only 29.2%, 29.4%, and 30.3% in his freshman, sophomore, and senior years respectively.

They're pretty similar, they both get a high amount of steals per game, although Nolen has a significant lead over Craft in that regard. Craft seems to be more effective on the offensive end, Nolen seems to be a better defender. I think Nolen would have also had an advantage of being a senior, being more experienced with the coach and the team than the freshman Craft.

Also the reason some stats might differ from the top of my post versus the Nolen/Craft comparison, such as Craft's steals per game, Craft's stats up above were gotten from ESPN, whereas all stats for the comparison were from statsheet.com

Look at the competition they played. Nolen always had lower numbers in conference and OSU played much much better teams in the tournament and in NC. Not even close.

Look at the competition they played. Nolen always had lower numbers in conference and OSU played much much better teams in the tournament and in NC. Not even close.

I guess I hadn't thought about that, that most of his games last year were against non-conference teams, but we still played some decent teams. And as I said in my post, he had a lower turnover rate, more assists per game, and and higher assist-to-turnover ratio in all of his previous three seasons, two of which he did play for the whole conference slate. Last year I would have taken Nolen's skills and senior leadership over Craft's. He was the most important player on our team, more so after Joseph left, and I'm confident we would have remained top 20 for the rest of the season if Nolen were able to play.

Top Bottom