Early Big Ten Center Power Rankings (6. Pharrel Payne, MN)

Until our guard play proves itself capable of being B1G 10 worthy Payne and Garcia are going to be double and triple teamed everytime they touch the ball down low. And his stats will show that and will hinder his ranking. His potential is there, but can this team maximize it, that's yet to be seen
I remember Dainja just putting up insane numbers last year before the conference games. Guess it is definitely tougher once the regular season comes around. We certainly need Payne to make to make a big leap in improvement if the team is going to be successful.
Agreed we need Payne to make a big jump this year to be successful. Here's why I would bet on him making a big jump: 1. He's not just a big strong kid with good skills, he's a great athlete who has the ability to put the ball on the floor, pass it, rebound at a high level, has unbelievable hands, and I think he's probably taking thousands of short jumpers and jump hooks-which he is capable of developing.

He is also pretty new to the game, and with two new guards who shoot over 40% on 3's (no, we don't know how good they are yet) and a couple other guys who can shoot it in the backcourt (Carrington and Christie-we're not sure about their effectiveness either), he should have better opportunities close to the basket. And if he can develop a short jumper-and I've seen him shooting enough to believe he can develop it, he will be awfully hard to guard. And I know, other players will get better too...I think Payne will be higher than #6 at the end of next year.

Agreed we need Payne to make a big jump this year to be successful. Here's why I would bet on him making a big jump: 1. He's not just a big strong kid with good skills, he's a great athlete who has the ability to put the ball on the floor, pass it, rebound at a high level, has unbelievable hands, and I think he's probably taking thousands of short jumpers and jump hooks-which he is capable of developing.

He is also pretty new to the game, and with two new guards who shoot over 40% on 3's (no, we don't know how good they are yet) and a couple other guys who can shoot it in the backcourt (Carrington and Christie-we're not sure about their effectiveness either), he should have better opportunities close to the basket. And if he can develop a short jumper-and I've seen him shooting enough to believe he can develop it, he will be awfully hard to guard. And I know, other players will get better too...I think Payne will be higher than #6 at the end of next year.
If only we still had Battle.

247 2022 rankings had Ware at 7, Reed at 40, Okpara 74, and Payne at 123

2020 Edey wasn't ranked. Sissoko 43, Omoruyi was 62 in 2020. Crowl 145 in 2020. Looks like Nicholson wasn't ranked in 2020
Reese was 48 in 2021
Dainja was 93 in 2019. Krikke wasn't ranked in 2019. Looks like Mast wasn't ranked in 2019

sorry if there are any errors

Battle being here would be a good thing.
We have 3 players better than Battle was last year. Be patient. You will see. Our shooting forward/wing/3rd guard will contribute as much as Payne and close to Garcia. Not saying Battle couldn’t contribute as depth. He proved 2 years ago he could play.

I thought Crowl stunk and he’d never play much in the Big 10. I was wrong.

As for Payne, I’d take him over a number of these guys but I get why he isn’t ranked higher now. I think Payne has a real chance to take a big step like Reese did last year.

247 2022 rankings had Ware at 7, Reed at 40, Okpara 74, and Payne at 123

2020 Edey wasn't ranked. Sissoko 43, Omoruyi was 62 in 2020. Crowl 145 in 2020. Looks like Nicholson wasn't ranked in 2020
Reese was 48 in 2021
Dainja was 93 in 2019. Krikke wasn't ranked in 2019. Looks like Mast wasn't ranked in 2019

sorry if there are any errors
It goes to show you that rankings are a guideline not a rule. Mast is a Euro, btw

Top Bottom