Early Big Ten Center Power Rankings (6. Pharrel Payne, MN)

#14 Deloach averaged 10 ppg 7 reb
#11 Mast averaged 14 ppg 8 reb
#8 Krikke averaged 20 ppg 6 reb
Payne averaged 8 ppg and 5 reb

Payne is capable of much higher numbers and could easily be higher on the list but it's hard to know how he will be used in our offense. He spent more of his time on the perimeter than inside last year. When he was on the block his teammates had no idea how to deliver post entry passes from the wing. Again, depending how he is coached we don't know if he'll get increased playing time because he has learned to stay out of foul trouble.

Payne has top 3 potential...hope that's where he gets to. But based on stats Deloach, Mast and Krikke are being penalized too much just because they transferred.
Kel'el Ware is my pick to go from 9 on this list to top 4 in scoring...he was 7 ppg and 4 reb last year...another transfer.
Counting Payne, only 6 of these guys don't already average double figures. Tough crowd.
Like to see Payne go beast mode on the block for 31 regular season games and see where we end up.

#14 Deloach averaged 10 ppg 7 reb
#11 Mast averaged 14 ppg 8 reb
#8 Krikke averaged 20 ppg 6 reb
Payne averaged 8 ppg and 5 reb

Payne is capable of much higher numbers and could easily be higher on the list but it's hard to know how he will be used in our offense. He spent more of his time on the perimeter than inside last year. When he was on the block his teammates had no idea how to deliver post entry passes from the wing. Again, depending how he is coached we don't know if he'll get increased playing time because he has learned to stay out of foul trouble.

Payne has top 3 potential...hope that's where he gets to. But based on stats Deloach, Mast and Krikke are being penalized too much just because they transferred.
Kel'el Ware is my pick to go from 9 on this list to top 4 in scoring...he was 7 ppg and 4 reb last year...another transfer.
Counting Payne, only 6 of these guys don't already average double figures. Tough crowd.
Like to see Payne go beast mode on the block for 31 regular season games and see where we end up.
Good reactions. I’m not as high on Ware as you, but I’ll concede he might have the highest potential of the transfers. He’s transferring from Oregon and was mediocre despite being a 5-star. I don’t think Woodson will be able to unlock him, but it’s possible. I really like Mast, though - on this list, he's more like Crowl, offensively skilled inside and out. He might have trouble defensively with the step up from the MVC, though.

As far as Payne goes, he’s physical and has shown an ability to score in the paint (and in blowout losses). But he fouled a lot and had little versatility offensively. I think it's a fair, perhaps even over, rank.

I remember Dainja just putting up insane numbers last year before the conference games. Guess it is definitely tougher once the regular season comes around. We certainly need Payne to make to make a big leap in improvement if the team is going to be successful.

I look forward to the battle between Payne and Michigan's Reed this year. They were both true Freshmen last year. Both were prone to fouling, got little playing time and have similar size and athleticism.

Bro you are in a Byron Buxton or Joey Gallo type streak lots of whiffs…take a day off.. we will call it load management….
Whiff? I seem to remember the convo on GH trending towards we didn't care about losing him to Wisconsin. That stance was partially dependent on Pitinos ability to sign Garcia, which he didn't. So maybe the whiff is on Pitino?

Until our guard play proves itself capable of being B1G 10 worthy Payne and Garcia are going to be double and triple teamed everytime they touch the ball down low. And his stats will show that and will hinder his ranking. His potential is there, but can this team maximize it, that's yet to be seen
This

The two just above him (#4 and #5) are from Eastview and Brooklyn Park. Kind of unusual to have 3 of top 6 centers in BIG from metro.

The two just above him (#4 and #5) are from Eastview and Brooklyn Park. Kind of unusual to have 3 of top 6 centers in BIG from metro.
Don't short change MN basketball, Pitino was fired in part for not capitalizing on the overwhelming amount of talent our state had to offer during his tenure.

The 3 took a lot of criticism on the ‘hole from our expert fan base.

The 3 took a lot of criticism on the ‘hole from our expert fan base.
Which monicker were you using at the time? Considering your join date you missed all of the lovely conversation regarding the recruting class of 2019. In all seriousness, I don't think anyone would have minded getting Dainja, Super skilled bigman and a legacy at that. Lots of talk concerning his academics at the time being the biggest detterent in his recruiting.

Didn’t we want them?
Trying to remember. I am sure others will remember. Crowl too slow and not athletic. Danika head and academic problems. Seem to recall some saying he was out of shape. Payne just not good enough. diehard at the time.

Certain there will be dozens to get that all corrected. I was disappointed Danika was not considered Gopher material by many.

Trying to remember. I am sure others will remember. Crowl too slow and not athletic. Danika head and academic problems. Seem to recall some saying he was out of shape. Payne just not good enough. diehard at the time.

Certain there will be dozens to get that all corrected. I was disappointed Danika was not considered Gopher material by many.
I don't think we ever ever recruited anyone named Danika, she drives race cars for a living anyway.

Crowl was a developmental guy and they already had Sam Freeman on the roster so I doubt they wanted two true centers on the team that couldn't play.

No, I cannot help fund your NIL package for the Gophers. For that I am truly sorry. You'll need to contact my cousin, Faust.
Evil shall not enter our enthusiasm for Gopher sports. Offerings of sulfur are not accepted.

Crowl was a developmental guy and they already had Sam Freeman on the roster so I doubt they wanted two true centers on the team that couldn't play.
Yeah, we really outsmarted ourselves on that one. To be fair, I would take either to join this roster in a heart beat. We would just need to trade Wilson his scholarship for a job in the athletic department.

Evil shall not enter our enthusiasm for Gopher sports. Offerings of sulfur are not accepted.
Are you just mad because you thought we recruited a female race car driver to play men's basketball? I miss pilgrim by the way. I shall quote the rockraven nevermore.

Are you just mad because you thought we recruited a female race car driver to play men's basketball? I miss pilgrim by the way. I shall quote the rockraven nevermore.
Well, I do not share your apparent adversity to females.

Top Bottom