Dwayne Stephenson or Saul Phillips?

Okay, we are one week into the search for a new men's Gopher basketball coach. We have been unable to get Shaka, Brad Stevens, Flip, Hoiberg, Buzz and I'm sure some other established coaches on the dotted line. I'm not a Marshall or Grant guy. I'd understand the hiring of Enfield but I don't think he will accept. I'm also not sure he is the best choice overall. Maybe the best of available, realistic head coaches for me, though.

If I am Teague and Ellis, I would hire the best college assistant coach. Is that how a Big Ten
school would normally do it? I don't think so. But these two guys are way more plugged into basketball than most hiring AD's. That has the upside to be spectacular. A retread coach is a known quantity and sorta safe but also very likely there is also a ceiling of good not great.

I don't know if Antigua and Stephens are the two best assistants but I'd interview them and
the others on my list and choose one. I'd put my reputation on the line with the hire because I'm confident I know basketball and people. My vision is winning the national championship not just the Big Ten title. A retread guy is unlikely to do that after I struck out on my top five safer choices. (including Flip somewhat intentionally to get to this point)

That's my hope. The best assistant coach. We virtually have our pick of the entire USA college basketball scene.

If Marshall is possible, I'd go with him.
If not, I'd probably go Grant and then I've talked myself into Antigua (about the same as Grant).

Upon further consideration, I think Dwayne Stephens is the ideal choice for the next coach of the Gophers, as he would continue to uphold the fine tradition of GH posters butchering the spelling of his name. Luminaries such as Mo Hargrove, Jeff Hagan, Brett Lawson, Maverick Ahanmesi, Colton Iversen, Justin Cobb, Jason Stamper would finally have a coach worthy of their misspelling. Consider the possiblities!
Duane Stephens
Duane Stevens
Dewayne Stevens
Dewayne Stephens
Dwyane Stephens
Dwyane Stevens
Duane Stephenson
Dwayne Stephenson
Dewayne Stepheson
Dwyane Stephenson
Dwight Stephenson (a nod to the Hall of Fame center for the Miami Dolphins, who first came to mind when I saw this thread)
;)

Al Nolan feels left out.

You don't think so?

Not defending Bob, but the point is no one really knows. We are all filling in a lot of blanks here, and I have appreciated that so many posters grasp that. We'll never get all the details, but I will get a chuckle if later this week Flip is announced as coach after details were worked out.

You don't think so?

I think that there is a real possibility that Flip will be working for the Twolves in some capacity next year. . .I don't know.
I think that there is a real possibility we could have had Flip, but he had unrealistic demands . . .I don't know.
I think there is a real possibility that we could have had Flip, but Teague started messing with trying to name his #1 assistant . . .I don't know.
I think there is a possibility that it was all charade, we probably could have had Flip but didn't really want him . . .I don't know.

A bunch of unknowns.

Not defending Bob, but the point is no one really knows. We are all filling in a lot of blanks here, and I have appreciated that so many posters grasp that. We'll never get all the details, but I will get a chuckle if later this week Flip is announced as coach after details were worked out.

I would take that last sentence. Great. I think common sense can help us figure out a lot of things here, pretty much beyond a reasonable doubt. I think we can definitely conclude that Flip wanted the job. That's a no brainer. Now start to figure out why it didn't happen and there aren't many options. If Teague comes back to Flip later this week I give him credit for rethinking it. But- yeah everybody is speculating about everything and guess what- this is the perfect place for that. No speculation- no Gopherhole.

I think that there is a real possibility that Flip will be working for the Twolves in some capacity next year. . .I don't know.
I think that there is a real possibility we could have had Flip, but he had unrealistic demands . . .I don't know.
I think there is a real possibility that we could have had Flip, but Teague started messing with trying to name his #1 assistant . . .I don't know.
I think there is a possibility that it was all charade, we probably could have had Flip but didn't really want him . . .I don't know.

A bunch of unknowns.

I don't know either but I don't think it would be a compatible relationship. Flip needs a passive boss to succeed, in my opinion. I don't see Teague as that person. Teague and Ellis are better suited to "mentor" an up and coming coach.

I don't know either but I don't think it would be a compatible relationship. Flip needs a passive boss to succeed, in my opinion. I don't see Teague as that person. Teague and Ellis are better suited to "mentor" an up and coming coach.

Mid major guys need mentoring. Anyone still at the mentoring phase of his career will not succeed in the B1G. Maybe that's the problem, here. The administration wants to mentor, but anyone with the necessary resume needs no mentoring.

I would take that last sentence. Great. I think common sense can help us figure out a lot of things here, pretty much beyond a reasonable doubt. I think we can definitely conclude that Flip wanted the job. That's a no brainer. Now start to figure out why it didn't happen and there aren't many options. If Teague comes back to Flip later this week I give him credit for rethinking it. But- yeah everybody is speculating about everything and guess what- this is the perfect place for that. No speculation- no Gopherhole.

There are tons of different scenarios as to why a deal wouldn't have been made. You would have been OK with all of them. But there are a ton of different scenarios. When you make your list of demands so outrageous that an AD wouldn't take them, it's not looking like you really wanted the job. I'm not saying that is what happened, again, I don't know.

No one has any problem with speculation, but people are going to point it out when you say things factually that are pure speculation.

I'm going to make a prediction. If we hire Dwayne Stephens, we will get a commitment from Reid Travis. Not the only reason I want him, but I'd love to hire Stephens.

It's also plausible that Flip didn't want the job to begin with.

Some people have made it out that this is Flip's dream job. My thinking is that if it really was Flip's dream job, he would've found a way to say "yes."

I'll make a point here that I made on another thread before it got locked. Let's hope our guys hire a coach who can inspire players, coaches and fans. Bill Musselman, for all of his faults, was an unknown who came in and energized everyone. The personality, charisma and energy is as important as anything.

I'll make a point here that I made on another thread before it got locked. Let's hope our guys hire a coach who can inspire players, coaches and fans. Bill Musselman, for all of his faults, was an unknown who came in and energized everyone. The personality, charisma and energy is as important as anything.

True. Energized as only an absolute fruitcake can! No question the guy could coach though.

Mid major guys need mentoring. Anyone still at the mentoring phase of his career will not succeed in the B1G. Maybe that's the problem, here. The administration wants to mentor, but anyone with the necessary resume needs no mentoring.

Problem or not...it IS the situation. I agree anyone with necessary resume needs minimal mentoring...not none.
Disagree, "anyone still at the mentoring phase of his career will not succeed in the BIG". Brad Stevens was a carom away from a national championship. He was unknown prior. It's about the talent the individual has and his ability to process the mentoring help given. At age 58, one could be open to suggestions, but most with Flip's resume would not be. It's not a fit to NT and Ellis for Flip and they are the boss. A young, inexperienced but very talented coach can quickly learn and succeed. We are talking about hiring THE most talented assistant in all of college basketball, whoever that is, unless it was Chris Collins. Not my first choice. But the best choice for this situation. JMO

It's also plausible that Flip didn't want the job to begin with.

Some people have made it out that this is Flip's dream job. My thinking is that if it really was Flip's dream job, he would've found a way to say "yes."

I am not sure many have labeled this Flip's dream job, but his very public commenting, at times negatively, about the program and inunedo about wanting to help, etc. certainly led reasonable people to believe he was functionally lobbying for the job. Frankly that was the part I was most uncomfortable with in his candidacy.

You should Consider Giving Teague some additional credit. He was the guy that: 1) Originally identified Shaka at VCU 2) identified Grant at VCU 3)Identified Buzz Williams 4) Brad Stevens, 5) built a coaching network and reputation that has other ADs seeking his advice.

Other Schools hire search firms or call Norwood Teague.

Norwood appears to have a history filled with strong decisions. Perhaps, Bob Loblaw was onto something by considering the value of the information he did not know?

Maybe flip wanted the job, if and only if, he was paid $5 million a year. Maybe Flip required a practice facility built before signing. Maybe Flip wanted an out clause for the T Wolf Job. Maybe, Flip wanted a three year gig with an auto replacement slot for his Kid. Maybe, Flip lost his freaking mind and Teague sniffed it out. Or maybe Norwood holds a grudge against your posts and thus pushed Flip out to anger you.

Nonetheless, what I do know beyond a reasonable doubt is, Norwood Teague is unequivocally the most qualified person in the State of Minnesota to hire a college basketball coach. Including, but not limited to negotiations for said position.

I can only hope Norwood exercises that judgement and does not succumb to all the stupid fan's threats for not renewing season tickets to games because the Gophers didn't hire their, choice candidate, which was likely the only one they knew, based solely on name recognition or some other assumptions that they knew beyond a reasonable doubt through their own week exercise of common sense.

Don't forget Julian Welsh and future Gophers Tyrus Jones and Travis Reid.

I had a roommate back in the day who couldn't pronounce Mel Newbern's name. To him it was newborn.

You should Consider Giving Teague some additional credit. He was the guy that: 1) Originally identified Shaka at VCU 2) identified Grant at VCU 3)Identified Buzz Williams 4) Brad Stevens, 5) built a coaching network and reputation that has other ADs seeking his advice.

Other Schools hire search firms or call Norwood Teague.

Norwood appears to have a history filled with strong decisions. Perhaps, Bob Loblaw was onto something by considering the value of the information he did not know?

Maybe flip wanted the job, if and only if, he was paid $5 million a year. Maybe Flip required a practice facility built before signing. Maybe Flip wanted an out clause for the T Wolf Job. Maybe, Flip wanted a three year gig with an auto replacement slot for his Kid. Maybe, Flip lost his freaking mind and Teague sniffed it out. Or maybe Norwood holds a grudge against your posts and thus pushed Flip out to anger you.

Nonetheless, what I do know beyond a reasonable doubt is, Norwood Teague is unequivocally the most qualified person in the State of Minnesota to hire a college basketball coach. Including, but not limited to negotiations for said position.

I can only hope Norwood exercises that judgement and does not succumb to all the stupid fan's threats for not renewing season tickets to games because the Gophers didn't hire their, choice candidate, which was likely the only one they knew, based solely on name recognition or some other assumptions that they knew beyond a reasonable doubt through their own week exercise of common sense.
Whoa, he identified these two? Because they attended Villa 7 for a weekend? Dang, Stevens has been an assistant for Butler since 2001. I dont think Villa 7 started till 2004. I don't know, my friend, that's a lot of credit to give the guy. Gosh, I've read numerous times he didn't even hire Grant. It happened before he became AD.

Top Bottom