Dutcher days with 7 footers on the roster

Deusen

Reaction score
Didn't Dutch have a couple years where he had 5 7 foot players on one roster or close 6-11?

Didn't Dutch have a couple years where he had 5 7 foot players on one roster or close 6-11?

I don't remember 5 but maybe Breuer, Shasky and Holmgren were on the roster at the same time, although that doesn't compute either. That would be three. Those were also the days when only tall guys from Minnesota were allowed to play D-1. McHale, Breuer and Shasky were three centers in a row that were really outstanding, though. Holmgren was an excellent prospect but injuries cut that short.

Carpenter was 7'2" and in the same class as Holmgren. He immediately transferred.

Painter at Purdue seems to always have one or two....

Weren’t vandeneinde, carpenter and holmgren in the same recruiting class

Yes, there were three centers - it seems like Dutcher's name for them was "the birches"

Dutcher started out with three he inherited from Musselman. Winey, McHale and Thompson. Olberding and Lingenfelter transferred out or they would of had 5.

Chris Engler from Stillwater. Transferred to Wyoming after a year or two where he had nice career and bounced around NBA a few years.

The good old days (76-77 I think); I remember Dave Winey, McHale and Thompson all on the floor at the same time in a zone defense. None of them were over 7 feet but sure would have been tough to penetrate and get a clean shot up!

The good old days (76-77 I think); I remember Dave Winey, McHale and Thompson all on the floor at the same time in a zone defense. None of them were over 7 feet but sure would have been tough to penetrate and get a clean shot up!

I'm intrigued with what a zone could look like with some of the long-armed athletes we'll have next year. Robbins protecting the rim with Ihnen and Mitchell anticipating passing and bringing weak-side help? Carr and Gabe pressuring all over the backcourt? Yes, please!

I'm intrigued with what a zone could look like with some of the long-armed athletes we'll have next year. Robbins protecting the rim with Ihnen and Mitchell anticipating passing and bringing weak-side help? Carr and Gabe pressuring all over the backcourt? Yes, please!

I wouldn't necessarily go zone, but play packline man d and switch all screens. (which is basically like a match up zone)

I wouldn't necessarily go zone, but play packline man d and switch all screens. (which is basically like a match up zone)

I'm personally a man guy, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities to run a couple different looks at people. Love pack-line, especially with the shortened shot clock. It often creates forced shots from the offense and gives better rebounding position than the on-the-line-up-the-line method (though I think there are still times/places for that as well). A 1-3-1 with those long arms could be fun, too. Or put Ihnen up top on a 1-2-2 (like Kolander back in the day).

I like pack-line as the base defense with a couple of these options ready to spring in special situations. Would also like to see more full court pressure with what seems like better depth.

I'm personally a man guy, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities to run a couple different looks at people. Love pack-line, especially with the shortened shot clock. It often creates forced shots from the offense and gives better rebounding position than the on-the-line-up-the-line method (though I think there are still times/places for that as well). A 1-3-1 with those long arms could be fun, too. Or put Ihnen up top on a 1-2-2 (like Kolander back in the day).

I like pack-line as the base defense with a couple of these options ready to spring in special situations. Would also like to see more full court pressure with what seems like better depth.

Yeah with shot clocks, it really seems that you play pack line or no middle that Baylor runs which actually may even be a better fit with our pieces if we continue to add more length. I'm fine throwing a look out there here or there against a certain match up, but otherwise I think we play a certain way defensively and become elite at it.

Yeah with shot clocks, it really seems that you play pack line or no middle that Baylor runs which actually may even be a better fit with our pieces if we continue to add more length. I'm fine throwing a look out there here or there against a certain match up, but otherwise I think we play a certain way defensively and become elite at it.
I agree that a program needs a system, but having a couple tricks up your sleeve is a great way to gain a possession or two...and it’s fun! It gives players a chance to focus on new things in the same way a trick play in football is a way have fun and potentially catch your opponent sleeping.

I love the Gophers unconditionally and can’t wait see if they can reach their potential. Call me an optimist, but I don’t care to dwell on negative (some would say realistic) projections for our squad. Here’s the hand we’ve been dealt, now let’s see what we can do with it. Hopefully, we’re able to exceed expectations!

I still have a visual image of the StarTribune article on the 3 centers. The three standing under the basket with Dutcher standing in front of them. They looked like 3 baby giraffs with knobby knees, skinny legs and no bulk.

Top Bottom