Dungy as "football director"

gophernut

Reaction score
I am 99.99% positive that we would never get Dungy to coach here, but how about handing over the reigns and allow Dungy to put his mark on the program by giving him control over hiring. I know most schools have "athletic directors," but why not just a director for football. Dungy's name alone would give the program instant crediblity and he definately has a passion for football, forming young men and getting more diversity in the coaching ranks. With this position he could have the joys of helping the U of M out, being part of young men's lives and creating a winning atmosphere. I don't think he would mirco-manage, as he has shown the ability to hand over control to capable people but could be an added tool in recruiting, fund-raising and hiring people who are great football minds. I know it would be something completely out of the box and not even sure if it would be legal under the NCAA, but all i know is i would want him making the decisions about our program more then the people who brought in Brewster. Remember it was Dungy who told Maturi that hiring Tampa Bay's secondary coach (Tomlin) at the time would be a great hire last time we were looking for a new coach.

Just a thought 0

It would be perfectly legal. The NCAA doesn't care how things are structured in the ADs office. Assistant ADs do exist, the athletics department could hand considerable responsibility to an assistant if they wanted to. If Maturi were to resign to save face, Dungy - if he wanted to come here in any capacity - could take over as interim AD until the next President could pick the next AD.

But the time is ticking down fast, 47 days till the final game, I don't see any way that somene else is going to pick the next coach. Maybe Maturi could go to the hospital, get a vending machine sandwich, sit there for a few hours, say hello to a doctor and - truthfully - say that he was in the hospital, say he talked to a doctor, and it is time to retire. It would be true, because he would have been in a hospital, and he would have talked to a doctor. He need say nothing more.

Remember it was Dungy who told Maturi that hiring Tampa Bay's secondary coach (Tomlin) at the time would be a great hire last time we were looking for a new coach.

I don't know why this keeps getting brought up as though it means anything. First of all, he was the Vikings D coordinator, no longer at Tampa, and everyone and their mom knew he was on the fast track to being an NFL head coach even before the Vikes hired him a year earlier. In fact, he was hired as the Steelers head coach 6 days after Brewster was hired here.

We had no shot at Tomlin, and he had no interest in us. Why would he even consider a college job (especially Minnesota) when he knew he would soon be an NFL head coach?

dpodoll68,

I seem to remember that Dungy gave some sort of seal of approval/vote of confidence towards brewster before he was hired. Do you recall such a thing happening?

Thanks.

I don't know why this keeps getting brought up as though it means anything. First of all, he was the Vikings D coordinator, no longer at Tampa, and everyone and their mom knew he was on the fast track to being an NFL head coach even before the Vikes hired him a year earlier. In fact, he was hired as the Steelers head coach 6 days after Brewster was hired here.

We had no shot at Tomlin, and he had no interest in us. Why would he even consider a college job (especially Minnesota) when he knew he would soon be an NFL head coach?

While I don't think he would have taken the Gopher job, he wasn't on that fast a track to the NFL. The Steelers mainly interviewed him to satisfy the rule they helped implement (Rooney Rule) and were blown away by him (they're not as easily blown away as Maturi). Bottom-line, it's not out of the question that he may have at least been willing to interview.

Dungy doesn't need a job. There is not one poster in GopherHole with Dungy's bank account who would ever consider taking an AD job anywhere given the extremely long hours and the large amount of alumni ass-kissing that is required.

I knew he would never be an AD - but creating a position where he would help pick a coach, back off and be involved as he sees fit may be just the thing for someone who is enjoying retirement and want to constribute to a nice charitable cause that he feels passionate about.

While I don't think he would have taken the Gopher job, he wasn't on that fast a track to the NFL. The Steelers mainly interviewed him to satisfy the rule they helped implement (Rooney Rule) and were blown away by him (they're not as easily blown away as Maturi). Bottom-line, it's not out of the question that he may have at least been willing to interview.

IIRC Leslie Frazier is who Dungy was endorsing as a candidate for head football coach at the U. I'm not even sure that Frazier was contacted.

He is currently 38 and the youngest coach to win a super bowl. I would like to know what you qualify as fast track? So your point is that he isn't as great a coach as others are suggesting, but had he not been currently employed in a better job (Vikings DC) and interviewing for a far better job (Steelers HC) that he would have considered the U of M HC position?

dpodoll68,

I seem to remember that Dungy gave some sort of seal of approval/vote of confidence towards brewster before he was hired. Do you recall such a thing happening?

Thanks.

You may be right, but I don't know for sure either way. Sorry.

IIRC Leslie Frazier is who Dungy was endorsing as a candidate for head football coach at the U. I'm not even sure that Frazier was contacted.

You may be right. Again, I don't remember. But his "main" candidate was definitely Tomlin. See thread below for more:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=12362

I remember being upset at this. Dungy basically threw the U under the bus for not interviewing a guy who had no interest in the job, and wouldn't have accepted under any circumstances, even if they offered him the highest salary in the nation. And then, to top it off, he played the race card. Even though our head basketball coach is black and Dungy himself could have the football job yesterday if he wanted it. It just sucks that Dungy even brought the whole thing up. It made the U look bad when they had absolutely zero culpability in the situation.

I know most schools have "athletic directors," but why not just a director for football.

Isn't the definition of a head football coach - "director of football"?

What you're suggesting for Dungy is pretty much what JoePa is, or what Brewster's plan was. Oversee everything, but have your coordinators do the actual coaching/gameplanning.

Not a bad idea, though, use symantics to trick him into being a figurehead-type head coach.

Dungy doesn't need a job. There is not one poster in GopherHole with Dungy's bank account who would ever consider taking an AD job anywhere given the extremely long hours and the large amount of alumni ass-kissing that is required.

I think you I would reverse who would be giving the kisses!:clap:

Stop with the Tony Dungy for anything at the U. He is and will be the biggest set back to the next coach at this university. He doesn't want the job, but will be polite enough to listen when it is offered and then decline. He will then publicly suggest coaches (mainly from the professional ranks) who have minimal interest in the job. This however, will be the only part of the hiring process that many casual fans see and/or remember. In the new coaches first two to three years ( probably a .500 winning percentage) and lower tier bowl games they casual fan will give up on the coach program and remember that A) the job was initially offered to TD and they will image the great success the program would have if he was the coach (choir boys who are undefeated) and B) current coach wasn't even recommended by TD.

Top Bottom