Duke's Jaylen Johnson opts out to prepare for draft.

golf

Reaction score
Just saw this. One month left of season. How much is gained by one month of nba prep versus playing college games? I get the risk of injury argument but then dont start the season at all. Instead leaves his team in the lurch and opens himself up to character questions. Bad move.

Sounds like Johnson and his camp aren't happy with Duke. Coach K benched him in a blowout game against NC state and that's when Johnson blamed a foot injury to opt out. He's opting out before his draft stock tanks even more

He left IMG Academy early last year too. He was at 3 high schools in 3 years prior to Duke. He's a good example of adults being too involved.

Just opens himself to additional questions in interviews before the draft and takes away his opportunity to do something special on tv.

He left IMG Academy early last year too. He was at 3 high schools in 3 years prior to Duke. He's a good example of adults being too involved.
Does anyone remember back in the day, I think it was around the Hurley/Laettner/Hills era (when I really began to despise this program), when announcers would talk about how Duke recruits players and Coach K would not pursue extending a scholarship unless the entire team agreed that the player would be a good addition? It seemed like a bunch of bull, but of course, it was all in developing this image of Duke as a "different" type of college basketball program with higher standards and ethics and community.

Haven't heard any announcers talk about this method in a long, long time. Seems Coach K probably abandoned that approach a loooong time ago. Too bad, it might have kept him from being left in the lurch mid-season ;)

Does anyone remember back in the day, I think it was around the Hurley/Laettner/Hills era (when I really began to despise this program), when announcers would talk about how Duke recruits players and Coach K would not pursue extending a scholarship unless the entire team agreed that the player would be a good addition? It seemed like a bunch of bull, but of course, it was all in developing this image of Duke as a "different" type of college basketball program with higher standards and ethics and community.

Haven't heard any announcers talk about this method in a long, long time. Seems Coach K probably abandoned that approach a loooong time ago. Too bad, it might have kept him from being left in the lurch mid-season ;)

K went for brand building over winning. He doesn't coach much anymore tbh. Getting one and dones hasn't been proven to be really successful in the last ten years as far as winning goes. Building winners requires tons of evaluation, pointed program identity/culture, and dynamic skill development.

K went for brand building over winning. He doesn't coach much anymore tbh. Getting one and dones hasn't been proven to be really successful in the last ten years as far as winning goes. Building winners requires tons of evaluation, pointed program identity/culture, and dynamic skill development.

K is no Calipari. This season as a notable exception, Slick Cal knows how to coach and blend the one and dones like no other. Puke has not had nearly the success.

If he doesn't coach much anymore, when does he quit? We hear so frequently, and I don't doubt it to be true, that most coaches really like coaching and teaching and their burden is all the doo-doo around it. Hard to believe K is any different than the vast majority that way.

K is no Calipari. This season as a notable exception, Slick Cal knows how to coach and blend the one and dones like no other. Puke has not had nearly the success.

If he doesn't coach much anymore, when does he quit? We hear so frequently, and I don't doubt it to be true, that most coaches really like coaching and teaching and their burden is all the doo-doo around it. Hard to believe K is any different than the vast majority that way.

I think K has actually had a better W-L record since he did the 1 and done, but I won't disagree that Cal is an underrated basketball coach and I'd say he's better at preparing guys for the NBA.

Top Bottom