Dubay and Zulgad ripping Tubby a new a$$ hole on espn1500

Oh, Yay - the Gophs might be able to squeak out a 20-win season and a mediocre seed in the NCAA tournament.

That is NOT was anyone expected this season. And it is NOT what we were promised by Tubby & Co.

This year was supposed to be THE year - when a deep, experienced team would win the games they were supposed to win, steal a few games on the road, finish near the top of the B1G, and get a good seed in the NCAA tournament.

But, all that seems to be slipping away, as the Gophs show a disturbing lack of poise and maturity.

Now, some of this definitely has to go on the players - but some of it also HAS to go on the coaching staff. They KNEW NW would throw the 1-3-1 at them - and they still looked like they had never seen it before. That's coaching, folks - that's a team that was not prepared for a defense that the opponent uses in virtually every game.

And (final thought) - if you were a top recruit, would you want to come to this program and play for this coaching staff? This stretch of games may not only sink the Goph's chances for a good seed, it may also severely impact their ability to recruit one of the top classes in MN in a generation.

I think, WORST CASE SCENARIO, we go 5-7, and STILL make the NCAA tourney.

But I wouldn't be shocked if we went 10-2.

7-5 or 8-4 are my prediction. And I don't think any of the games that REALLY matter will be happening until Valentines Day or after.

I think, WORST CASE SCENARIO, we go 5-7, and STILL make the NCAA tourney.

But I wouldn't be shocked if we went 10-2.

7-5 or 8-4 are my prediction. And I don't think any of the games that REALLY matter will be happening until Valentines Day or after.

Can't lose most of the winnable games before V-Day either man....

Just saying.

The 1988-89 squad lost @ NU, went 1-8 on the road (8-1 at home) and went to the Sweet 16.

The 1989-90 squad went 4-5 on the road (including losing @ mediocre Illinois by 27) and went to the Elite 8.

Interesting that you left out winning at Indiana, at Iowa by 22, and best of all, winning at MSU (a #1 seed in the tourney and BT champs). A pretty fair road record in 1990 I would say.

Some posters have previously stated all that matters is how a team does in the tournament.

Well here's a hypothetical for you guys. What if we go 9-9 in Big Ten, make the big dance and win one or two games. Would you consider that a successful year and would you then say Tubby did a good job?

Both matter, but at the end of the day, if we make the Sweet 16, will you really care if we did it as a 3 seed or a 10 seed? Winning a couple tournament games can certainly cover up a lot of what came before it. Likewise if we still manage a 4 seed and lose to NDSU in the 1st round, we'll all be irate.

1-8? OMG, they SUCKED!!!! What a horrible team, must have been a loser of a coach, how is it he wasn't fired after such a horrible season?!

Funny thing is, we'd definitely have been much better off if we had, but that's not really fair to take that into consideration.

The 89 team also beat three top 10 teams on their home court and was coming from literally nothing. Nice try though.

Some posters have previously stated all that matters is how a team does in the tournament.

Well here's a hypothetical for you guys. What if we go 9-9 in Big Ten, make the big dance and win one or two games. Would you consider that a successful year and would you then say Tubby did a good job?

I would. And then I would expect us to build on that next year.

That's a good question, 19. I'm a big believer in the regular season, but understand that the tournament is what matters most (and how a team gets remebered).

If the Gophers go 9-9 (gees, it better not come to that) and get to the round of 32, I'd be glad we finally got a tournament win but would not call it a successful season. That's about the bare minimum I expected out of this squad before the season started.

If we go 9-9 and get to the Sweet 16, for me that's a significantly differently animal. For a program of the Gophers' stature (not elite), playing on the second weekend of the tournament goes a long way in curing the ills of the disappointing Big Ten record. I'd consider the Sweet 16 a success under any circumstances.

Just my 2 cents.

Did I say let's please not go 9-9?

If they get to the Sweet 16 it would be hard to say it was not a good season, regardless of how they got there, IMO. Even a 9-9 conference record and a NCAA win is an improvement. My concern would lie with next year. There looks to be zero inside game next year. Its gonna be a three point show ala Illinois in 2013-2014 and I dont have much confidence in that.

If they get to the Sweet 16 it would be hard to say it was not a good season, regardless of how they got there, IMO. Even a 9-9 conference record and a NCAA win is an improvement. My concern would lie with next year. There looks to be zero inside game next year. Its gonna be a three point show ala Illinois in 2013-2014 and I dont have much confidence in that.

I hear ya.

brucekaupa --

You know, in the real world, people who make issues out of little minor mistakes like the one I made, in the context I made it, an internet sports forum, calling the RPI rating, the RPI poll, are not usually looked at as the most popular people. If they do it in the wrong environment or situation, they can get their teeth knocked out by the big motherfer that didn't think it was so funny.

BUT, since I'm a lighthearted guy, who likes a good joke, and since maybe you just thought you were being funny. Well...

HA HA. There, you got a laugh out of me, you are a hilarious comedian, I suggest you quit your day job and run off to Hollywood and become a famous comedian. I couldn't stop laughing after I read it, it was SO hilarious, made my gut hurt.

Or were you trying to insult my intelligence?! Just asking for clarification, because that could be funny, too, in the right context.

Top Bottom