Duane Bennett on KFAN

A few notes from interview

-Tipped hat to Laurence Maroney as the better half back to come out of St. Louis
-Matt Limegrover: His 4th OC. A lot of enthusiasm with a run first mentality. Able to teach and give insight on the bigger picture
-Offense ahead of learning curve at this point
-Most important part has been learning terminology (number based system)
-Everyone needs to be on the same page. Gotta cut down on number of penalties
-Tried to stay open minded and not focus on the negatives when Kill was hired
-Thoughts on Chad Spann: Great talent. Liked that Kill and Limegrover were able to put him in situations where he would succeed
-Was recruited by Kill at Southern Illinois
-Difference between Kill & Brewster: TEMPO. get as many reps as possible and teach off tape. Game speed will not surprise players due to speed of practice
-Thoughts on DeLeon: Great to see him develop. Great asset with a lot of explosiveness
-Kills "special team": most often due to missed meeting or class. Not to embarrass but make a better man. All about trust.

Matt Limegrover: His 4th OC.

His 5th, actually. His 6th, even, if you count Mitch Browning, who he was recruited to play for and was fired before he signed here. I can't blame him for losing count, though.

His 5th, actually. His 6th, even, if you count Mitch Browning, who he was recruited to play for and was fired before he signed here. I can't blame him for losing count, though.

In his defense, although Thomas Hammock was his offensive coordinator for half of last season, he was not the coach teaching during spring practices, fall camp etc. He felt more like a long-term substitute that did change up the play calling, but didn't really change the system Horton/Brewster had in place.

I count Mike Dunbar/Jedd Fisch/Jeff Horton as his main three offensive coordinators. Mitch Browning counts a little as he was recruited for that offense, and Hammock counts a little as he was filling in for half a season.

I really hope he has a solid end to his career at Minnesota...he sounds like a very classy guy, and team leader and a exemplary role model for the other guys on the team.

Hammock was OC the entire season last year.

Hammock was OC the entire season last year.

Did he start as the co-OC with Horton? If so, I missed that. I thought he was elevated to assistant head coach or something like that, as a way of boosting his salary/keeping him here.

Did he start as the co-OC with Horton? If so, I missed that. I thought he was elevated to assistant head coach or something like that, as a way of boosting his salary/keeping him here.

Yes. And, as you mentioned, he was the lone OC after Brewster was canned. It was probably that taste of being an OC that made him turn into a P.O.S. traitor.

-Tipped hat to Laurence Maroney as the better half back to come out of St. Louis
-Matt Limegrover: His 4th OC. A lot of enthusiasm with a run first mentality. Able to teach and give insight on the bigger picture
-Offense ahead of learning curve at this point
-Most important part has been learning terminology (number based system)
-Everyone needs to be on the same page. Gotta cut down on number of penalties
-Tried to stay open minded and not focus on the negatives when Kill was hired
-Thoughts on Chad Spann: Great talent. Liked that Kill and Limegrover were able to put him in situations where he would succeed
-Was recruited by Kill at Southern Illinois
-Difference between Kill & Brewster: TEMPO. get as many reps as possible and teach off tape. Game speed will not surprise players due to speed of practice
-Thoughts on DeLeon: Great to see him develop. Great asset with a lot of explosiveness
-Kills "special team": most often due to missed meeting or class. Not to embarrass but make a better man. All about trust.

DeLeon is solid, you know what you're going to get from him, but have never heard him described as "explosive."

Bennett will represent well this year!!

Wasn't Tim Davis also co-offensive coordinator? I'm almost sure he was when they installed the "power running game" that never really materialized for the 2008 Insight Bowl.

It's sad it was that hard to keep track of who all was in that position. Wow.

Wasn't Tim Davis also co-offensive coordinator? I'm almost sure he was when they installed the "power running game" that never really materialized for the 2008 Insight Bowl.

It's sad it was that hard to keep track of who all was in that position. Wow.

He was the running game coordinator.

When is the last time a gopher player interviewed on KFAN before this offseason?

The move to KFAN is already paying off.

It was a great interview. I assume they'll podcast it.

When did ANY station run Gopher players pre-season? I agree, this looks like a great move for the team.

When is the last time a gopher player interviewed on KFAN before this offseason?

The move to KFAN is already paying off.

The last one I can remember is when Mike Sherels and John Shevlin were interviewed during spring ball after Brew got hired.

I listened today and was impressed by Bennett's interview.

Excellent recap gopherfan3, but you didn't mention that Bennett stressed that he has an obligation to Kill and the team as a senior to play hard and lead by example to ease the transition. You could tell that DB is a class guy and a leader by his answers. PA also joked with him that Kill knows him well already as DB ran for 2 td's against Kill a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom