Banned
Reaction score
Anybody have some info on this kid?

New Jersey prepster to U
Posted by Kent Youngblood

Last update: December 21, 2009 - 7:39 PM

E-mail this | Del.icio.us | Facebook | Digg
Greetings..

Just a quick update here. The day after two-star Florida defensive tackle Doral Willis decided to re-open his recruiting process, the Gophers added a 6-6, 300-plus-pound defensive tackle named Sean Ferguson, who made an oral commitment to the Gophers, according to Gopherillustrated.com.
Ferguson attends the Hun School, a prep school in Princeton, New Jersey.

6'6" and already 300 lbs is a gigantic frame for a young kid, he will probably play at closer to 330. That is about all we know about him so far.

He was part of the group of New Jersey/Pennsylvania kids who visited a couple of weekends back.

The Hun School of Princeton, New Jersey. It's a prep school.

Whoa...this guy is totally off the grid. Hard to believe someone that big has gone unseen. :)

Welcome aboard.

Interesting. Very crappy offer list, but he does have size going for him. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

It looks like we got him over offers from Kent State and Rhode Island. Should be a likely RS candidate.

Welcome aboard!

Go Gophers!!

so where did he go to HS? not impressed at all. so we dropped willis for this guy and no one seems to have ever heard of him

I'm not sure we dropped Willis, maybe he dropped us and the rumors about it being mutual were just rumors.

Why

Why does somebody always have to say something bad about a kid who just decided to join the Gophers. I'm sure they take some kids on potential. He might be a project that turns into something special or at least a minor contributor allow the way.

The Hun School is a rigorous college preparatory school in NJ. It is absolutely NOT a "prep school" in the mold of Milford Academy or even the postgraduate portions of Valley Forge or Fork Union Military. Hun is an exceptional school that most of the kids in America could not get accepted to. There are two types of prep schools, and Hun is one of the ones that caters to future leaders.

There are a lot of kids at these schools who fly under the radar for a number of reasons. The 1-AA schools hit the prep schools pretty hard, and Kent State is notorious for looking at prep school kids (even though they have had limited success getting them). Boston College and UConn typically have a larger number of prep school kids because they are in the right location to recruit. People go to prep schools for a number of reasons. In general, and I'm talking about the good academic schools here, the reason is that they want to expand their college options in a way that no other type of school can provide. Ivy League, Patriot League, etc. Athletics typically help kids gain access to financial aid, thus opening doors that would not have otherwise been opened. It is the type of opportunity that most people can only dream about and can, if the kid succeeds while there, set the kid up for life.

I don't know anything about the kid, but I am willing to bet the coaches saw something in him. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. The point in all of this is that, as someone who knows a great deal about prep schools, it does not surprise me that the kid is not widely known. At the very least, I would expect that the kid will be the least of the academic worries the coaching staff has next year.

That info you posted has him being a legit 6'5" 350 lbs in HS. I am a little concerned that he isn't incredibly strong (he was by far the largest man on that list, but nowhere near the strongest).

that combine was tenth grade remember, three years ago. his shot put is 47'6 which isn't great for his size, but pretty damn good for high school. I'd guess he's a little short on burst. That's why we pay the big bucks to a S&C guy.

Big kid from a big family.

_DSC01541.jpg

This kid sure doesn't sound like he projects as a DT at the next level. I would imagine Davis will be pushing hard to get this kid on the offensive side of the ball. Heck, in a couple years he will probably be 6'6"-6'7" 335 lbs, that is absolutely ideal size for OT. I would imagine Allen and Epping will be DT's and this kid will be an OL.

i'm not trying to put the kid down and it seems like he comes from a good school. hope he does well

yeah and in the article that Schnoodler posted he was 1st team on offense. maybe he is going to play OT

Big kid from a big family.

_DSC01541.jpg

i like this find by coach brewster and staff. some of the top defensive linemen in the nfl today didn't go to the "florida's and usc's of the world" and weren't recruited by the "florida's and usc's of the world" either. some people (here is looking at your DOOGIE) get a bit too wrapped up in the "well who else offered this guy???" game.

sean looks like he has a huge frame (as opposed to just being another fat offensive or defenseive lineman). definitely a big ten type of frame. should help him out-muscle some of the fat-ass white offensive linemen we have all over this conference! :)

get him in with the gophers training staff and on the proper diet from day one and he looks like he could be a physical beast by the time he is just a sophomore.

Is it just me or does he look like a chubby DE. i think this is why he didn't have a great offer sheet. Huge but not as wide as you'd like (in proportion) for a OL or DT. Plus seems to lack a little burst which isn't great for the outside, but huge reach so maybe compensating. hmmm. Definitely RS. See how he develops in the weight room.

His Dad looks like he can still play though.

I actually think he looks pretty well put together for a 300 lbs + HS kid (prep), and he looks like a prototypical OT. But I suppose a lot of prototypical offensive tackles kind of look like chubby DEs.

When I saw that he was 6'5" and 350 when he was a JR, I was actually kind of expecting him to look a lot less in shape than he does. I wonder if that was part of the reason to send him to the Hun School (get him more conditioned).

I actually think he looks pretty well put together for a 300 lbs + HS kid (prep), and he looks like a prototypical OT. But I suppose a lot of prototypical offensive tackles kind of look like chubby DEs.

When I saw that he was 6'5" and 350 when he was a JR, I was actually kind of expecting him to look a lot less in shape than he does. I wonder if that was part of the reason to send him to the Hun School (get him more conditioned).

yeah you're probably right.

Offer

Am I right to assume Ferguson had a conditional offer which became a reality with Beau Allen commiting elsewhere? Seems like a quick commit for DT with few offers on the heals of the Allen loss.

some of the fat-ass white offensive linemen we have all over this conference

Doesn't the current Gopher team have a few of these guys on it?

Quite frankly, I'm not sure the issue of race has a lot to do with this!

Isn't the state of Minnesota pretty adept at producing this type of ballplayer...or do they come from Iowa as well?

Some poster on ESPN labled Pantherhawk needs a new hobby. strange posts indeed.

Top Bottom