DT Noah Shannon committed to Gophers

I would say the key phrase is "a man's word should mean something."

we are not talking about a man. we are talking about a 17-year-old kid. Remember being a kid - hormones - uncertainty - not knowing what was going on on a daily basis? Is it that hard to understand that a kid - facing probably the most important decision he's made in his young life - might have second thoughts?

Verbal commitments - in a legal sense - mean nothing. once the recruit signs a letter of intent, that means something. there's no LOI involved here - just a kid who changed his mind. If a top Iowa Recruit de-committed from IA and flipped to MN, would you say the Gophers don't want him because he didn't honor a commitment? I think not. 17 is not 21. Not a legal adult. Held to a different standard.

You are to logical S.O.N....;)

Where do you draw the line on the "their just kids" excuse?
For me, the ones that change their mind - I get. The ones that lie about taking other visits and cross the line to being dishonest? I'm with Lordshawesome - no interest. Even at 18 that says something about who you are, IMO.
I also feel that way for the ones that need all the attention surrounding their decision, etc. (think Daniels Twins), but that is a whole other conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who needs an excuse?

Everyone knows nothing is set until signing day. Nobody went into this thinking nobody ever changed their mind on where they go to school.

And, I will say this: in some ways, "kids" are younger today then they used to be. My father's generation went into the service or got full-time jobs right out of high school. It was common for people to get married at 17 or 18, and be parents at 19 or 20.

today, if a 17-year-old said that he or she was getting married, virtually everyone would say "you're too young."

But, times are different. I'm 61, and I even think 21-year-olds are young. Yes, they are legal adults, but in today's more-sheltered culture, some 21-year-olds have a lot of growing up in front of them. sure, there are young people who are more grounded and mature, and know what they want to do - but I see them as the exception, not the rule. My niece just quit a good job to move halfway across the country with her boyfriend, and my mom (her grandmother) is going bonkers.

So, when a 16 or 17-year old changes their mind about what college they want to attend, or what team they want to play football for, I don't see it as a character flaw. I would rather see them make the right decision - for themselves, their families - and yes, for the school. Ultimately, I don't think any school wants players who are not 100% committed to being there.

I think the focus should go less on these kids and more on to the tactics taken in order to persuade them to commit.

That should be the focus. Why would either party want to pressure or be pressured into committing when you're not fully....errr....committed?

It just seems that Fleck comes off too much as a high pressure used car salesman at times. It's not a good look.

If I were grading this post, you'd get an F.

Ignorant, almost ironically so, on a number of levels. It wasn't Minnesota's coach who started whining publicly after being whipped in several significant recruiting battles recently. When's the last time you saw Minnesota's coach comment on anybody else's recruiting? THAT, my little friend, is a bad look. And you plainly have no knowledge about what went on in Shannon's recruitment, because if you did, you'd conclude that he indeed was pressured by third parties close to him into committing to the school that didn't really capture his heart ... Iowa.

There are so many g**d**** trolls on this board from other schools, it's becoming unreadable.

And, I will say this: in some ways, "kids" are younger today then they used to be. My father's generation went into the service or got full-time jobs right out of high school. It was common for people to get married at 17 or 18, and be parents at 19 or 20.

today, if a 17-year-old said that he or she was getting married, virtually everyone would say "you're too young."

But, times are different. I'm 61, and I even think 21-year-olds are young. Yes, they are legal adults, but in today's more-sheltered culture, some 21-year-olds have a lot of growing up in front of them. sure, there are young people who are more grounded and mature, and know what they want to do - but I see them as the exception, not the rule. My niece just quit a good job to move halfway across the country with her boyfriend, and my mom (her grandmother) is going bonkers.

So, when a 16 or 17-year old changes their mind about what college they want to attend, or what team they want to play football for, I don't see it as a character flaw. I would rather see them make the right decision - for themselves, their families - and yes, for the school. Ultimately, I don't think any school wants players who are not 100% committed to being there.

Back in MY day...

If I were grading this post, you'd get an F.

Ignorant, almost ironically so, on a number of levels. It wasn't Minnesota's coach who started whining publicly after being whipped in several significant recruiting battles recently. When's the last time you saw Minnesota's coach comment on anybody else's recruiting? THAT, my little friend, is a bad look. And you plainly have no knowledge about what went on in Shannon's recruitment, because if you did, you'd conclude that he indeed was pressured by third parties close to him into committing to the school that didn't really capture his heart ... Iowa.

There are so many g**d**** trolls on this board from other schools, it's becoming unreadable.
You seem butt hurt son.
3ce8bd1e228e5fad8ffaa53c0245775a.gif

Noah Shannon had a relationship with the Iowa coaches long before PJF came to the scene at Minnesota.

Top Bottom