Drew Magary rant on Notre Dame

Oh, it's breaks my heart when they sanctimoniously say it's unlike them.

The big boys - Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, tOSU, they get almost a free pass. Yet, MN's Gangelhoffer got them crucified royally in the media and by the NCAA. Sex and cheating, they do it better in the bigs.

Oh, it's breaks my heart when they sanctimoniously say it's unlike them.

The big boys - Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma, tOSU, they get almost a free pass. Yet, MN's Gangelhoffer got them crucified royally in the media and by the NCAA. Sex and cheating, they do it better in the bigs.

So true. I'm always amused how the Catholics will suggest that when one of their own does something good, like rescue a cat from a tree, that they embody the Catholic spirit. However when one of their own does something bad, like a priest raping an alter boy, they sanctimoniously say they are unlike them. Can't have it both ways but they sure do try.

Dear MNGoldenGophers1- I just can't let your arrogant and ignorant post go unchallenged. Just who are "the Catholics" of whom you speak? There are about 65 million of us in this country. Do you really believe that we all think alike and are eager to excuse the scandal to which you refer? The truth, sir, is that the great majority of us find the behavior of these priests to be disgusting and appalling. Plus, I believe it is reasonable to say that millions of us feel the additional pain of betrayal and the humiliation of being somehow linked to these criminals. I am hopeful that you have more intelligence than you exhibited in the pathetic post to which I am replying.

The truth, sir, is that the great majority of us find the behavior of these priests to be disgusting and appalling.

Where are the riots in the streets, the protests, the boycotts, the demonstrations?

Any post that lumps all Catholics, Lutherans, Jews or ay other single religion as one monolithic group of people with all of the same faults is not dealing in reality There are good people and bad people, and phonies and heroes in any religion. I tend to agree with the article, because Notre Dame tends to act as though all of its student athletes were on their way to the priest hood when, in reality they are college FB players no different than kids at any other helmet school. Based on the number of incidents, they are not supervised much differently than kids at any other helmet school either.
I don't expect them to be saints, the irritating part is their acting as though their players are different.Not really.

Where are the riots in the streets, the protests, the boycotts, the demonstrations?

You expect Catholic's to riot/protest/boycott/demonstrate over priests abusing children?

/argument

(< non catholic >)

So true. I'm always amused how the Catholics will suggest that when one of their own does something good, like rescue a cat from a tree, that they embody the Catholic spirit. However when one of their own does something bad, like a priest raping an alter boy, they sanctimoniously say they are unlike them. Can't have it both ways but they sure do try.

Replace "Catholics" with any other group of people in the history of the entire world, and you have a point.

Dear MNGoldenGophers1- I just can't let your arrogant and ignorant post go unchallenged. Just who are "the Catholics" of whom you speak? There are about 65 million of us in this country. Do you really believe that we all think alike and are eager to excuse the scandal to which you refer? The truth, sir, is that the great majority of us find the behavior of these priests to be disgusting and appalling. Plus, I believe it is reasonable to say that millions of us feel the additional pain of betrayal and the humiliation of being somehow linked to these criminals. I am hopeful that you have more intelligence than you exhibited in the pathetic post to which I am replying.

Dear Nomellini – Denial is a defense mechanism which probably explains your defensiveness to my post. To answer your first question, I’m speaking to you and the other 65 million but decreasing number of Catholics. As a former Catholic myself, I kicked this church to the curb years ago. If you want to know my reasons, go take a look at the Penn State/Sandusky thread and read where GopherInPhilly nicely articulates his reasons for abandoning the church. I could have never said it better. And just so we’re clear, I’m sure GopherInPhilly would likely have nothing to do with my post here.

I know it must be hard for you and other well-intentioned Catholics to receive criticism, but let’s put this is a different context. Let’s say you started playing on softball team and learned that it had a history of very bad behavior. For example, the team was known for lacking transparency along with a history of persecuting others based on race, political and religious beliefs. You also found out past and current members exhibited negative behaviors ranging from opposing equal rights for the opposite sex to committing heinous crimes against children. And this was just the tip of the iceberg. My guess is that most people would find a new softball team unless they’re stuck playing for Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary.

Okay, a softball team especially one at LFP and a religious organization are two very different things. Furthermore, it would be much easier to walk away from a softball team than a religious institution someone has probably belonged to their entire life. I realize any organization or group can have undesirable members. But in the case of the CC and in particular many of their leaders, they have been dismal when it comes to their behavior and addressing/correcting it. Given the CC’s history, I don’t get how any educated and rational person can justify being a member?

I understand how difficult it is for some to walk away from something they have invested so much time, money, emotional and, worst of all, spiritual energy. In my opinion, no amount of good could possibly erase the bad in the case of the CC. For many CC members, I’m sure it would be a difficult thing to admit after so many years of making it perhaps the most important thing in their life.

Consequently, I could say it is you who is ignorant and pathetic for continuing your membership in the CC. But that’s your choice. I have happily moved on and will leave it at that.

BTW – I have always despised the sanctimonious Domers even when I was a Catholic.

fact: A student at Notre Dame attends classes with individuals from the 1%. It's pretty sweet when the kid says they spent the weekend at the Morton's (Morton Salt) estate in Chicago.

Consequently, I could say it is you who is ignorant and pathetic for continuing your membership in the CC. But that’s your choice. I have happily moved on and will leave it at that.

You didn't "leave it at that". You accused "the Catholics", all 65 million of them, of being duplicitous (see below). I don't speak for Nomellini, but that's the part that I found offensive.

I've got no problem with your take on Notre Dame and their administration.

Take it to the Off Topic Board for this contest of spiritualism. Word to the wise, we play loose with facts over there and don't care who we hurt in the process of discussion.

You didn't "leave it at that". You accused "the Catholics", all 65 million of them, of being duplicitous (see below). I don't speak for Nomellini, but that's the part that I found offensive.

I've got no problem with your take on Notre Dame and their administration.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have said:

I'm amused how SOME Catholics...

Not the majority, not all, but some.

Take it to the Off Topic Board for this contest of spiritualism. Word to the wise, we play loose with facts over there and don't care who we hurt in the process of discussion.

Facts?!? Everyone knows how I feel about facts:

Top Bottom