Drew Brees, the former NFL quarterback, is being hired as an interim assistant coach at Purdue

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

I don't know how much "interum" helps with recruting but I think it is worth a try.

Nice to see, though, that he is supporting his school in such a visible way.

First of all, I salute Brees for doing this. Very cool move by a guy who's been out of school for about 25 years and is set for life financially. To opt-in to spending time in West Lafayette when the HC left and their star players are opting-out is a very cool gesture.

That said, is anyone else concerned by the precedent this might set? What's to stop other big-time CFB alumni and boosters from signing short-term coaching contracts to visit recruits? Will Tom Brady start recording personalized videos for 2 days every summer for Michigan?

First of all, I salute Brees for doing this. Very cool move by a guy who's been out of school for about 25 years and is set for life financially. To opt-in to spending time in West Lafayette when the HC left and their star players are opting-out is a very cool gesture.

That said, is anyone else concerned by the precedent this might set? What's to stop other big-time CFB alumni and boosters from signing short-term coaching contracts to visit recruits? Will Tom Brady start recording personalized videos for 2 days every summer for Michigan?
Its to the point where all I can say is who cares. Tom Brady and Drew Brees can legally buy recruits if they want so I’m not going to sweat them being able to recruit.

I really do wonder if any boundaries are going to be drawn in what appears to be a totally new era. There have been a lot of changes over the decades, but it seems we've reached a tipping point where D1 college athletics are basically semi-professional. We'll just have to see if we can keep up.

I really do wonder if any boundaries are going to be drawn in what appears to be a totally new era. There have been a lot of changes over the decades, but it seems we've reached a tipping point where D1 college athletics are basically semi-professional. We'll just have to see if we can keep up.
In the new world, the Carlson School is debatably more important to the long-term success of the program than the football facilities. Let's make sure we do a little recruiting there so if any alums hit it huge they feel like sending some money to Gopher Football.

I wonder if he'll temporarily torch us in recruiting like he did when he was QB?

I don't think that would have the effect you are thinking. Especially if it became common. Actually, Russel Wilson tried to get Caleb Williams to Madison last year and it didn't work.

Top Bottom