Doogie says AJ Barker hearing from "a bunch of 1A schools" including Houston

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie says AJ Barker hearing from "a bunch of 1A schools" including Houston

per this tweet:

"A.J. Barker update: diva and all, a bunch of 1-A schools have inquired. I hear Houston is one. He should land somewhere decent. #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Not that surprising. He's a good football player, and there are far bigger divas in the world.

Not surprised at all, I still think he will end up at Wisconsin. It is a low risk high reward situation for a coaching staff. You bring him in, sit him down and make it clear the first time he steps out of line you will kick his butt to the curb. If it works out you get a guy with some obvious talent and a strong desire to prove himself, if it doesn't you are really no worse off than you were before.

Let's face it. Barker is smart, plays hard, runs good routes, has a knack for getting open, has great hands, and is extremely competitive. What college wouldn't want a player like that on their team? Wait ...

I really do not care where he ends up. I wonder if he will write a 4000 + word blog to announce his new school?

Let's face it. Barker is smart, plays hard, runs good routes, has a knack for getting open, has great hands, and is extremely competitive. What college wouldn't want a player like that on their team? Wait ...

He's so amazing that he had one catch in his college football career 3 months ago.....

Hope he gets that scholarship he's after. Actually, I don't care at all.

Houston is decent? Losing 72-42 to SMU isn't decent.

Enjoy Big LEast football, its a higher level than I thought he'd play but I guess we'll see where he ends up.

SEC doesn't want an outspoken atheist on the team. BT, Big east or PAC if any D1.

Wish him well. Would hate to see him play against us as that would just pick the scab. But honestly, I don't blame him for wanting to leave to get a scholly. Hated his method. That's all.

Wish him well. Would hate to see him play against us as that would just pick the scab. But honestly, I don't blame him for wanting to leave to get a scholly. Hated his method. That's all.

He may well have gotten a scholarship for next year if he hadn't tried to give an ultimatum before this season had even ended.

Not surprised at all, I still think he will end up at Wisconsin. It is a low risk high reward situation for a coaching staff. You bring him in, sit him down and make it clear the first time he steps out of line you will kick his butt to the curb. If it works out you get a guy with some obvious talent and a strong desire to prove himself, if it doesn't you are really no worse off than you were before.

Better check to see what his mom's best friend thinks about Bielema.

He may well have gotten a scholarship for next year if he hadn't tried to give an ultimatum before this season had even ended.

Besides going public with the letter, that is what bothered me the most. That's stuff that should be dealt with after the season.

+1

What I read from AJ's screed was that Kill was saying he wouldn't award him a scholarship.

What I believe Kill told him was; if you continue to self-diagnose, see acupuncturists, and don't ice down according to our medical staff, etc., that means you're not operating under the same rules that I expect every player on this team to adhere to, so be a team player, and we'll see what we can do about that scholarship. I'm sure AJ knows that the staff can't award a scholarship until after the season is complete.

He was never going to get a scholarship from the gophers and it became evident to him. Leaving when he did will allow him to go into spring footbal and take some kid on scholarships job......sort of like he did here.

What is being missed here is that the kid didn't need the scholarship to play college football. It's like a person who is happy with what they are being paid, until they find out a co-worker whom they believe to be inferior is being paid the same....or god forbid more.:D

Where does it say that Barker gave an ultimatum to Kill?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Barker's open letter:

There’s nothing special about me?

I’m a dime a dozen?

You don’t know what “*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed up things happened to me to screw me up so much as a person”?

My stock fell as a person since I got injured?

You had 5 of me at Northern Illinois?

You say I’ll never earn a scholarship under you? That I don’t deserve one?

…And then you followed this outburst of rage with an attempt to love me in the most manipulative, deceitful way possible.

Where does it say that Barker gave an ultimatum to Kill?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[B]From Barker's open letter[/B]

There’s nothing special about me?

I’m a dime a dozen?

You don’t know what “*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed up things happened to me to screw me up so much as a person”?

My stock fell as a person since I got injured?

You had 5 of me at Northern Illinois?

You say I’ll never earn a scholarship under you? That I don’t deserve one?

…And then you followed this outburst of rage with an attempt to love me in the most manipulative, deceitful way possible.

[/B][/B]
[/I]

Oh Barker didn't write in his letter that he gave Kill an ultimatum, so it didn't happen?

I like how he made such a huge deal out of the scholarship, saying it was on of the two main reasons he was leaving. Then at the end he says his dad pays for his school, and he doesn't need it, and doesn't even want it.

I like how he made such a huge deal out of the scholarship, saying it was on of the two main reasons he was leaving. Then at the end he says his dad pays for his school, and he doesn't need it, and doesn't even want it.

There is nothing in Barker's letter and no evidence I have seen in GopherHole that Barker told Kill he was going to quit the team if he didn't get a scholarship.

I don't think Kill ever said that Barker gave him an ultimatum.

If you know something the rest of us don't then let's have it.

There is nothing in Barker's letter and no evidence I have seen in GopherHole that Barker told Kill he was going to quit the team if he didn't get a scholarship.

I don't think Kill ever said that Barker gave him an ultimatum.

If you know something the rest of us don't then let's have it.

He might not of said he was going to quit if he didn't get one, but he did say not getting one was a main reason he did quit.

He might not of said he was going to quit if he didn't get one, but he did say not getting one was a main reason he did quit.

Barker quit the team because Kill embarrassed and humiliated him in front of his teammates and told him in so many words that he was a dime a dozen player who would NEVER get scholarship no matter how hard he worked, how many games he started, and how well he played for the rest of his career at the U. The reason Barker is no longer on the team is primarily on Kill. What Barker did afterwards is irrelevant as far as that goes.

He was never going to get a scholarship from the gophers and it became evident to him. Leaving when he did will allow him to go into spring footbal and take some kid on scholarships job......sort of like he did here.

What is being missed here is that the kid didn't need the scholarship to play college football. It's like a person who is happy with what they are being paid, until they find out a co-worker whom they believe to be inferior is being paid the same....or god forbid more.:D

I doubt it had anything to do with the scholership, everything to do with being valued, which can be important.

Barker quit the team because Kill embarrassed and humiliated him in front of his teammates and told him in so many words that he was a dime a dozen player who would NEVER get scholarship no matter how hard he worked, how many games he started, and how well he played for the rest of his career at the U. The reason Barker is no longer on the team is primarily on Kill. What Barker did afterwards is irrelevant as far as that goes.

You have absolutely no way of knowing any of this. You are taking Barker's word as fact. Is he completely telling the truth? I have no idea and neither do you. Even if the quote from Kill is accurate, and I would say that it probably is, it is without any context. If I had to guess I would say that Kill said that after the way Barker dealt with the injury. Had Barker done things the way he should have, he probably would have gotten a scholarship next year.

I don't believe for a second that Barker wasn't going to get a scholarship, even if Kill did say it. I think Kill is one of those guys who flies off the handle and says things rashly that he shouldn't say.

Remind you of anyone?

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
Here are my priorities in the decision. 1) Told I wasn't going to play here anymore, and 2) wouldn't receive a scholarship next year

How can you possibly take Barkers word as fact? He clearly has some issues and cannot handle adversity, like just about every other NCAA football player has to. Look at Gray. He patiently waited his turn to start at QB and ended up losing his starting job anyways. He understood where he was most beneficial to the team and played his part without so much as a complaint. Barker was simply thin skinned. I realize that his mothers friend would disagree. Honestly.......it's just too bad that he will not be around to help Nelson reach his full potential........:rolleyes:

I would suggest he go to a school with a large GLBT population, so he feels at home.

Get real.

Do you think this letter was the first time that AJ Barker acted like a child?

I think it should be obvious to anyone that Kill was saying that Barker isn't as special as he thinks he is (because AJ Barker thinks he is pretty damn special) and that he isn't above following the rules and procedures. AJ even admitted as much. Could you imagine if a player told Nick Saban that he only missed icing his ankle because he thought it would be better for it to not get tight on him? Could you imagine what Jim Harbaugh would have said to a kid who missed rehab appointments to go get acupuncture instead? How about what Pat Fitzgerald would have said to a kid who was questioning an athletic trainer (after admitting to NOT icing!!)?

I don't think Kill sat AJ Barker down and just matter of factly told him, you aren't good enough to play here and you'll never get a scholarship. I think Kill probably told him that he wasn't so special that he didn't have to follow the rules.

If AJ Barker would have come out and simply said "I quit the team because it became apparent I'd never get a scholarship and the staff wanted me to play injured"....this would be a different debate. From his Wrenlike diatribe, the ONLY thing I know about the situation is that AJ Barker is a diva and that AJ Barker did not rehab is ankle correctly.

Top Bottom