Doogie on U/Pitino: I don’t see them paying him 1.75 to leave then committing 6 for 18 or more to a replacement. This isn’t the SEC.

How about this guy: Ryan Philip Saunders

I don't think he is destined to keep his job AND perhaps he might look at the U if he doesn't?

Would he be a good hire? I know it's kind of a reach... but maybe not based on how his year is going and he'd have NBA coaching experience which might be appealing to recruits.

I'd love this move, but really, not sure if he'd even be interested since he's been at the NBA level.

I don't think he is destined to keep his job AND perhaps he might look at the U if he doesn't?

Would he be a good hire? I know it's kind of a reach... but maybe not based on how his year is going and he'd have NBA coaching experience which might be appealing to recruits.

I'd love this move, but really, not sure if he'd even be interested since he's been at the NBA level.
You'll have a lot of people on this board saying he can't coach based on what is going on with the Timberwolves. I'm not analyst, but I do see people on Twitter saying he doesn't have the X's and O's sophistication for the NBA. I have no idea.

However, I believe most coaches are best suited for the NBA OR college. It's a rare coach who can succeed at both. I think Ryan would be a good recruiter. My guess is he's a good enough X's and O's guy for college after being in the NBA. Of course, he has no experience with recruiting. I hope someone smarter than me is making the decision, but I think he should at least be in the mix.

He was wrong......
On October 2, 2018, the Twins fired Molitor as manager, but expressed that they had interest in having him continue to maintain a role with the team in some capacity. He finished with a record of 305 wins and 343 losses in 648 games.
And the challenges will remain for a long time, most likely. So that means no coaching changes can happen until the financial cha
He was wrong......
On October 2, 2018, the Twins fired Molitor as manager, but expressed that they had interest in having him continue to maintain a role with the team in some capacity. He finished with a record of 305 wins and 343 losses in 648 games.
I would have loved Molitor having the chance to manage the players Baldelli did. Rocco showed me nothing. He can’t use instinct but only what a computer tells him.

How do other coaches manage to coach in a pandemic? I would think it would be the same disadvantage for all programs.
All school administrations are different in their rules and enforcement of them. All states and opponents have differing rules to abide by. Testing is done differently at each school. It is the same but it’s not.
Some coaches are going to adapt better than others just like some players are individually going to react differently.
It isn’t normal for anybody and the circumstances are not universal.
A game every 6 or 7 days is very difficult to be consistent. Another school might not be playing at all. Another might be playing every 3 days. It’s all over the map.
Lots of differences to teams all dealing with COVID.

It's not the worst option, but not in the top 5 IMO. Huge bust possibility.

Yeah I'm not touching Ryan for the U of M job when you have guys like Craig Smith, Medved, or Dutcher. They're all more proven (Smith/Medved more than Dutcher) and more likely are better college basketball coaches. That DeVries from Drake is going to be a wanted man as well.

Ryan could be a good one, it just feels like you're shootin a 30 footer instead of a free throw.

Saunders would never get mentioned if he was not from Minnesota. Do people think the name means he will win ! If he was Steve Johnson from Iowa, lets say. Would you want him as the Gopher coach ? Belein is a super long shot as he is tending to a family matter and if he comes back in it likely would not be in the conference as he loves Michigan. The AD that hired Stackhouse at Vandy has been chased. If Stackhouse goes, Vandy is a perfect spot for John. I think if he did come back to the conference it could be PSU.

Saunders would never get mentioned if he was not from Minnesota. Do people think the name means he will win ! If he was Steve Johnson from Iowa, lets say. Would you want him as the Gopher coach ? Belein is a super long shot as he is tending to a family matter and if he comes back in it likely would not be in the conference as he loves Michigan. The AD that hired Stackhouse at Vandy has been chased. If Stackhouse goes, Vandy is a perfect spot for John. I think if he did come back to the conference it could be PSU.
Why would he go to Penn State and not Minnesota? It's a worse job, in BFE, and it's not like we're more of a Michigan rival than they are....

College culture, location, family issue. In my opinion he is not going to either. John is recruiting fatigued.
I’m curious built. Do you personally know John?

Also, I’m interested what would be luring about the Penn State college culture? If you ask me, their culture is not very good.

Why would he go to Penn State and not Minnesota? It's a worse job, in BFE, and it's not like we're more of a Michigan rival than they are....

Beilien's also mentioned he likes coaching at a "football school" many times. Penn State is closer to his home and where they grew up.

I would have loved Molitor having the chance to manage the players Baldelli did. Rocco showed me nothing. He can’t use instinct but only what a computer tells him.
Holy cow this is an awful take.

Molitor was a miserable manager, with ZERO ability to manage a pitching staff. None. Zip. Zilch.

Beilien's also mentioned he likes coaching at a "football school" many times. Penn State is closer to his home and where they grew up.
Meh. It's got no natural recruiting base and they draw terrible most of the time. I think if he wants to coach again, an aggressive offer can get him here if Penn State and Vanderbilt are the alternatives.

I’m curious built. Do you personally know John?

Also, I’m interested what would be luring about the Penn State college culture? If you ask me, their culture is not very good.
I have met him but do not know him. The guys i know that do know him speak very highly of him.

Meh. It's got no natural recruiting base and they draw terrible most of the time. I think if he wants to coach again, an aggressive offer can get him here if Penn State and Vanderbilt are the alternatives.
JB has ties throughout that region as well as nationally. Only sharing what i hear and what could entice him. Was told it is not Minnesota.

JB has ties throughout that region as well as nationally. Only sharing what i hear and what could entice him. Was told it is not Minnesota.
That's on Mark Coyle to earn his $$. I doubt we were Tubby's dream landing spot after Kentucky either.

But he is right in that it would be a major PR problem to cut sports and then turn around and pay Pitino mega $$$ to not coach.
It is his job to make it a non problem. Either pony up or pretend. Just dont lie and blow smoke, tell the fans MN cant do it at this time.

But he is right in that it would be a major PR problem to cut sports and then turn around and pay Pitino mega $$$ to not coach.
$1.75, million is not mega $$. Under that logic Pitino Fleck, Motzko and Whalen can never be fired no matter what.

Beilein will turn 68 years old next basketball season. I wonder what he has left in the tank and does it include trying to build a winner at a place that hasn't won at a high level. Vandy, Penn State, and Minnesota would all pose challenges. That said, if you can coach and have a great reputation, college basketball programs are probably easier to build now than even 10 years ago. Transfer portal, etc.

Beilein will turn 68 years old next basketball season. I wonder what he has left in the tank and does it include trying to build a winner at a place that hasn't won at a high level. Vandy, Penn State, and Minnesota would all pose challenges. That said, if you can coach and have a great reputation, college basketball programs are probably easier to build now than even 10 years ago. Transfer portal, etc.

I'm not a zealot for youth but a 68 year old is a short-term placeholder at best. I could see hiring a 61 year old John Calipari (if he were willing to take the job, of course) because he is someone who could elevate the recruiting profile of the program immediately and he has four or five decent years left in the tank.

All school administrations are different in their rules and enforcement of them. All states and opponents have differing rules to abide by. Testing is done differently at each school. It is the same but it’s not.
Some coaches are going to adapt better than others just like some players are individually going to react differently.
It isn’t normal for anybody and the circumstances are not universal.
A game every 6 or 7 days is very difficult to be consistent. Another school might not be playing at all. Another might be playing every 3 days. It’s all over the map.
Lots of differences to teams all dealing with COVID.

And your contention is that Minnesota and Pitino have it more difficult than other coaches?

The best thing on his resume is the same as the best thing on our current coaches resume.

Right now, I'd take in this order:

Smith
Medved
Saunders
Musselman - Secretly my favorite choice. Muss and the U - Good times!
Dutcher - Only last because of his age.

Im a Medved fan. Saunders, Musselman would probably be too expensive. I think Coyle will wait out the buyout price unfortunately.

Top Bottom