Doogie on Gophs DLine

D-line is definitely the unit I'm most excited to watch this coming year. They just seem like they got a nasty streak about them, I don't see John Clay rolling them over for 180 again.

If they can produce some pressure, suddenly it takes that pressure off the thin secondary, which would be huge. Hopefully they can do it.

All true.

Still can't get myself to read it. Wasted too much time on those articles before. I got a short life and a long list. The fact there are no emoticons with this post makes me think someone hijacked your username and tried to self pimp the article.

I _will_ not be tricked!! :cool02:

Excellent piece. Sounds like we've got some guys working hard and with positive attitudes. Lets face it, games are won in the off season for the most part.

Good article, I'm really looking forward to watching the young and talented d-line perform this fall.

Still can't get myself to read it. Wasted too much time on those articles before. I got a short life and a long list. The fact there are no emoticons with this post makes me think someone hijacked your username and tried to self pimp the article.

I _will_ not be tricked!! :cool02:

Fighting off a cold, got lazy. Still worth a read. G.G. though will be pissed; Doogie took no shots at Cosgrove. :eek:

(there you go!)

Good for Tim Cross to stick up for Eric Small!

Small can play for my team anytime.

Nice last question Doogie.

My God. A well written, researched and balanced article on gopher football. Hell frooze over??

Thanks for the kind words. The plan is to have a little position analysis every Tues. leading into Aug. practice... with a Q & A attached (bigger deal will be that... won't go too heavy on my own words).

As is the case with most Mason defenses, losing 9/11 starters is not always a bad thing.

"Returning starters" - the most deceiving, overrated stat in college football.

I take it you didn't like this nicely written post?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

How true. Especially in this day and age.

I think though that the intended implication is true if not the literal meaning. In football it is imperative that positions work well within their own units. That requires experience. I think it is safe to say the combination of talent and game time reps still is boss.

As is the case with most Mason defenses, losing 9/11 starters is not always a bad thing.

This is what I think as well. Small and Brown were solid, if not spectacular. Edwards and Kirksey should be at least a push, if not an upgrade. I think Jacobs is the key this year. He'll need to step in along multiple positions when needed. I would bet he starts at SDE for the first few games as Hageman gets his feet wet. I'm excited about Wilhite. He's more of the true rush end that we've been missing to put pressure on the QB.

As far as other Mase recruits, Campbell and Trip are bigger losses. Hopefully Tinsley, Coop, and Rallis can fill those shoes.

Gotta give credit where it is due. Great job Doogie. Tuesdays have officially become something to look forward to.

I read the comments before I read the article and I was expecting to be blown away Doogie style. But I still can see his need to take little jabs here and there and it's just so unnecessary. I agree with lots of things you wrote Darren, but it's ok, you can just write an article on the potential of the Dline to be really solid without having to try so hard to come across as Dan Barreiro's mini me.

I read the comments before I read the article and I was expecting to be blown away Doogie style. But I still can see his need to take little jabs here and there and it's just so unnecessary. I agree with lots of things you wrote Darren, but it's ok, you can just write an article on the potential of the Dline to be really solid without having to try so hard to come across as Dan Barreiro's mini me.

I chuckled when I saw this: "Eric Small and Garrett Brown were semi-reliable starters. Can Edwards and Kirksey exceed their production?"

Sure they weren't superstars, but I don't know how anyone could say they weren't reliable all the time.

I chuckled when I saw this: "Eric Small and Garrett Brown were semi-reliable starters. Can Edwards and Kirksey exceed their production?"

Sure they weren't superstars, but I don't know how anyone could say they weren't reliable all the time.

I love when Darren uses Barreiro's favorite word "rippable" in every column too. Maybe next column you can throw in a couple "We're happy for you" and a couple morneausies and gardsies so you can be more like your idol.

I also thought it was a good piece. I was disappointed that it didn't talk about Ferguson. As an early enrollee his progress should have been covered but it's a small complaint.

I enjoyed the Cross interview and the analysis was fairly thorough on the d-line. Putting aside some of the implied slights in the article, here's what I don't get: Why does Doogie have to regurgitate the same statistics re: the offense's failures at the end of the season (for seemingly the 3rd or 4th article) to begin an article about the defensive line? If he wants to trot out the cliches one more time for the QB's preview or the offensive line preview, maybe I would at least understand that it is in context, despite it being another gratuitous smack on the team, but for the intro to the defensive line?

I enjoyed the Cross interview and the analysis was fairly thorough on the d-line. Putting aside some of the implied slights in the article, here's what I don't get: Why does Doogie have to regurgitate the same statistics re: the offense's failures at the end of the season (for seemingly the 3rd or 4th article) to begin an article about the defensive line? If he wants to trot out the cliches one more time for the QB's preview or the offensive line preview, maybe I would at least understand that it is in context, despite it being another gratuitous smack on the team, but for the intro to the defensive line?

You see, it just shows how balanced and objective he is in his opinion. If there's one thing Doogie is, it's fair. He's not a homer, but is a huge fan of the program, but doesn't like Brewster, but thinks it's too early to have an opinion on Brewster. He's all over the map and nowhere. Doogie is the maroon and gold man of mystery.

I've got to agree here, although I really did love this article, Doogie's thrown the same offensive ineptitude stats out time and time again. We get it, our offense was terrible down the stretch.
I really hope all this isn't based on some ingrained NFL perspective Doogie got working over at KFAN, personally i could care less if the offense is electrifying, give me a solid defensive effort and a win, I could care less what the O looks like. The win part is all we lacked down the stretch that matters to me.
And honestly no Doogie is not fair, he's incredibly biased against Brewster, he's no homer, and he's a fan, but to say his writing and commentary is unbiased is not truthful, he's been very clear about this.

Top Bottom