Doogie: New DC Tracy Claeys has lofty goals for Gophers' D

Awesome. Bleed = GopherHole's newshound I see. Great find!

Most alarming: South Dakota, an Football Championship Subdivision (I-AA) team, notched 41 points and 44 yards in a 41-38 win at TCF Bank Stadium.

That would be epic if a team pulled that off lol

Defense

Great job, Doogie! Thanks.

Teaching/learning the proper technique, accountability, rewards for preparation. It all seems so simple, but these simple things seem to have been missing for too long. Also very impressed by the honesty. No BS, just frank evaluation. Finally, I'm encouraged by the optimism that seems to be there right under the surface.

Go Gophers!

I like the way Doogie tried to get more specific answers and that Claeys acknowledged that his broad statements could be frustrating to interviewers.

I like the way Doogie tried to get more specific answers and that Claeys acknowledged that his broad statements could be frustrating to interviewers.

I must say even though it's very tough to get direct answers from coaches, I do appreciate when interviewers ask direct questions instead of beating around the bush. So, kudos Doogie. This is really helping with the summer layover.

@Monty519: Thanks for catching the typo. We are different from the Star Tribune. In other words, we don't have three other people who read our stuff for editing purposes, just one.

@Monty519: Thanks for catching the typo. We are different from the Star Tribune. In other words, we don't have three other people who read our stuff for editing purposes, just one.

Other than the minor typo, a great article again. Thanks, Doogie!

Another great article Doogie. I continue to be impressed by the Gopher's coaches. I hope you're planning to do a similar one with Jay Sawver, the Special Teams coach.

I think he cleared up the notion that "we have 4 good LBs--we should play a 3-4!" Nice to see a staff with schemes they believe in, not a defense of the week.

No problem, just saw it and it made me chuckle lol. Love what I'm hearing from these coaches though, they really just seem to know exactly what they want, and hopefully, they get the pieces they need to make it happen. Appreciate both of the coordinator interviews, great stuff!

I must say even though it's very tough to get direct answers from coaches, I do appreciate when interviewers ask direct questions instead of beating around the bush. So, kudos Doogie. This is really helping with the summer layover.
If there are three people looking at each story, I'd love to hear the explantion over at the Strib of how their Sunday edition before the NFL draft went out with a mention of first-round quarterback bust "Eric" Couch from Cleveland.

If there are three people looking at each story, I'd love to hear the explantion over at the Strib of how their Sunday edition before the NFL draft went out with a mention of first-round quarterback bust "Eric" Couch from Cleveland.

Tim Couch, Eric Crouch, big diff!

Is this a typo? Running backs and defensive quality control?Seems like an odd combo, but could be a smartr move too.

Here's what happened:

At NIU, Rob Reeves was the RB coach and Brian Anderson was the TE coach. When Kill got the Minnesota job, he decided he wanted to keep Hammock as the RB coach, but this created an obvious problem with Reeves and Anderson. For whatever reason (I'm guessing because Reeves has been with Kill longer - '96 vs. '01 for Anderson), Reeves came on as the TE/H-Back coach, and Anderson came on as a defensive QC because Kill really wanted to keep him on staff and that was a way to do it. When that traitorous POS Hammock left for Becky, Anderson kept the defensive QC position (probably because it was too late in the year to find a suitable replacement) and added on the RB coach responsibilities. Before next year, I guarantee they will find someone else to take the QC responsibilities off his plate, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see Reeves and Anderson switched back to their old positions, especially since we will have Sr. starters at both RB and TE, so they could come in fresh with a new crop next year. Then again, they may stay where they are now.

I appreciate Doogie picking Coach Claeys mindset and revealing some of his D philosophy. I regards to the goals he set for the team, they are rather lofty and more in line what a pretty competitive D will show.

I looked back and compared the goals to the actual numbers at NIU and Gophers 2010 #'s.

Goal 2008 2009 2010 Gophers 2010
PPG 17.5 18.0 21.6 18.9 33.0
Yd/Carry 3.2 4.1 3.9 3.9 5.3
T.O's 3.0 1.5 1.8 1.8 1.6
3rd Down 65% 62% 58% 63% 54%

Realizing those goals would result in a pretty darn good season even if the offense sputtered. Most Gopher fans would be giddy if we even realized the 2010 NIU numbers.

dpo: Thanks for the update. Funny how things happen sometimes.

I could be completely misreading this but I felt the same way after the Limegrover interview. There seems to be an underlying confidence coming from them this team will be better than people think.

I could be completely misreading this but I felt the same way after the Limegrover interview. There seems to be an underlying confidence coming from them this team will be better than people think.

But it will not be where they envision the team being. This group of coaches will not be content with having a fringe bowl team. I think that there is enough talent to go 6-6 or 7-5 even with our schedule. I think that 8-4 would be a best case scenario. It's refreshing to have coaches that don't settle for average but push the players and themselves to be the best.

Top Bottom