Doogie: National rankings confirm breadth of Gophs problems; Local recruits summoned

I think Minnesota has some hope this game. Very few people realize how terrible Iowa's schedule has been to this point. It is ranked 118 by Sagarin (Minnesota's is 34th), they have yet to win on the road, and had to pull a rabbit out of a hat to beat Pitt in Iowa City. I am just not sure the Minnesota offense can take adavantage of a weaker-than-normal Iowa defense. We won the game last year by cramming the ball down Iowa's throat and some timely runs by Gray when he was at QB. I am not sure how we attack them this year, but I am hoping to we eliminate early game mistakes and see what happens.

"Out of 120 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams, they rank in the bottom 96 in passing offense, passing efficiency, total offense, scoring offense, rushing defense, total defense and turnover margin."

Again with this ridiculous stat.

I love it.

Did you know that LSU is among the bottom 120 teams in Division I-A football?

"If all that wasn't enough, they are tied for ninth in the conference for most penalties committed (45) and 10th in penalty yards per game (55.3)."

I can't tell if this is good or bad. Is the team with the most penalties first or last?

"Out of 120 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision teams, they rank in the bottom 96 in passing offense, passing efficiency, total offense, scoring offense, rushing defense, total defense and turnover margin."

Again with this ridiculous stat.

I love it.

Did you know that LSU is among the bottom 120 teams in Division I-A football?

+ 1000. That stat is ridiculous! I just do not get why reporters are using this stat. Come on Doogie. You should be embarassed!

What does the stat mean? Does it mean that they are 24th in one of those categories?

As written, the stat means that the Gophers are somewhere between 24 and 120.

Doodie...you suck...please stop writing about the Gophers...you are an embarrassment.

What does the stat mean? Does it mean that they are 24th in one of those categories?

I looked up some of the stats on NCAA.com and this is where we rank in each category:

Passing offense:109th
Passing efficiency: 114th
Total offense: 112th
Scoring offense:110th
Rushing defense: 96th
Total defense: 100th
Turnover margin: t-109th

Obviously Doogie is phrasing this wrong. What he is really trying to say is we are in the bottom 24 of FBS in all of these categories. Really what he is trying to say is that we are terrible right now. Last time I checked, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, or all of these stats, to figure that out though.

"If all that wasn't enough, they are tied for ninth in the conference for most penalties committed (45) and 10th in penalty yards per game (55.3)."

I can't tell if this is good or bad. Is the team with the most penalties first or last?

Well, i'll give Doogie credit, I know he wants to write the exact same article every week (the Gophers aren't very good), this time he used google.

But again....this is a really "meh" stat when you are trying to figure out the reasons for why we aren't good.

For instance, in Big 10 play....the Gophers have 20 penalties. 8 teams have 19 or more penalties in Big 10 play.

Again....the Gophers get about 55 yards a game in penalties, that's 10th in conference. However, 6 teams have 50 yards of penalties a game or MORE.

Furthermore, ragging on this stat after the last couple weeks is almost laughable. We had the same amount of penalties as Nebraska (5). We took less penalties than Purdue (6<7). We had a bad game against Michigan, and if every game was like that, we absolutely deserved to be slammed for this stat. In fact, if you were really digging into this penalty stat, you'd probably have brought up the amount they have improved over the last couple weeks. I guess that kind of analysis is too much to ask for, since you have just recently evolved to google.

We probably aren't where we want to be with penalties, but considering the new schemes and young players, meh. We are sort of just a hair under average at this. If we had 1 less penalty a game, we'd be exactly average.

The obsession with this stat smells like alterior motives...

I looked up some of the stats on NCAA.com and this is where we rank in each category:

Passing offense:109th
Passing efficiency: 114th
Total offense: 112th
Scoring offense:110th
Rushing defense: 96th
Total defense: 100th
Turnover margin: t-109th

Obviously Doogie is phrasing this wrong. What he is really trying to say is we are in the bottom 24 of FBS in all of these categories. Really what he is trying to say is that we are terrible right now. Last time I checked, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, or all of these stats, to figure that out though.

Yes, for some reason he regurgitated the poor wording of the Iowa reporter (questionable to quote an Iowa writer in the first place lol), both of them just mean we rank 96th or worse in every category. Why neither decided to fix that and make it reflect what they're really trying to say, who knows. Just looks sloppy though, that's all.

We won the game last year by cramming the ball down Iowa's throat and some timely runs by Gray when he was at QB. I am not sure how we attack them this year.

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

It's the best option, and the only option.

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

It's the best option, and the only option.

I hear you Studwell, I should have said, "I am not sure we can do it this year." I think we need Gray to complete short, quick passes early and then turn into the runner he was in the Miami game. It would be sweet to get Coach Kill his first BT win in a trophy game.

Don't you just love the way Doogie keeps beating a dead horse. I think he's submitted the same article every week for the last 6 weeks. He's just changed the title and added some different stats. Outstanding work, Doogie.

Statistics that tell us how bad the Gophers are (like our eyes & the game results haven't already done that for us)? Ground-breaking stuff.

Question that I am hoping Doogie will answer.

Doogie, since you love to take out Iowa's wins from Tubby's record, are you going to take out the Minnesota wins from Ferentz's records or do you just cherry pick when it fits your agenda?

Is it unusual for a coach to "summon" recruits? Coaches routinely keep in touch with recruits.

Top Bottom