Doogie: Kirksey, Jacobs, Royston, and Lewis really held back this Claeys D last year

As I previously mentioned I'm willing to give Doogie a pass. But here's what I don't get ... And maybe it's just me that's a little slow: What is the sarcasm here or why would the comment be funny? So he's saying sarcastically that those players must have been holding us back last year. Does that mean that, since it was sarcastic, they really weren't holding us back and that they really were valuable ... as if they were so good that it would be ridiculous to say they held us back? I just don't get it.

What's the point of ripping past players that put in blood, sweat and tears during their careers that saw 3 different head coaches and numerous changes in coordinators? C'mon Doogie.

have to agree. pretty lame tweet/move on darren wolfson's part.

As I previously mentioned I'm willing to give Doogie a pass. But here's what I don't get ... And maybe it's just me that's a little slow: What is the sarcasm here or why would the comment be funny? So he's saying sarcastically that those players must have been holding us back last year. Does that mean that, since it was sarcastic, they really weren't holding us back and that they really were valuable ... as if they were so good that it would be ridiculous to say they held us back? I just don't get it.

It is sort of like a backhanded complement, i.e. the defense is playing so well now they must have been holding back in 2011. How else can you explain the vast improvement from to 2011 to 2012.

Yes, Twitter doesn't seem to work well for these type of messages. I guess you had to been there to appreciate it.

The problem was he looped in a couple players who people might have mistaken for poor performers. If he just would have said "Royston really held back this defense" then I think very few would have been fooled.

That is my exact question too. What is the joke?

What's the point of ripping past players that put in blood, sweat and tears during their careers that saw 3 different head coaches and numerous changes in coordinators? C'mon Doogie.

+1 Hasn't he heard of pace setters? If not anything else, they showed the underclassmen what it takes to be a BigTen player. A "Recent" example would have been the 97' defense with Richard, and Lamanzer Williams.

We know each other? Glad to discuss your thoughts on me away from a message board with anonymity. Give me a ring at 651.642.4449.

Man this made me lol. I don't agree with a chunk of what you write/say but I do respect that you don't just snipe and hide.

Without naming names, it seemed the team wasn't buying into the program last year until the Iowa game, when they were showing the kind of enthusiasm we're seeing this year - not only on the field but on the sidelines. The way the Gophers were flying around Saturday night was amazing to see.

Without naming names, it seemed the team wasn't buying into the program last year until the Iowa game, when they were showing the kind of enthusiasm we're seeing this year - not only on the field but on the sidelines. The way the Gophers were flying around Saturday night was amazing to see.

I don't know if it was a failure to buy in as much as the inevitable adjustment that comes with a change in coaches. Claeys is all about dialing up the pressure and the defenses we had for the previous decade seemed to be more "read" defenses than "force" defenses. Part of it is personnel and part of it is the coach knowing which personnel fit best in each situation. That seems to be meshing better than it did last season.

I don't understand why everyone got so bent out of shape and defensive. The Doogers spends a lot of time promoting Gopher Sports. I didn't read his tweet as insulting the former players as much as saying the new younger players are better.

Top Bottom